Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Television GAME Shows

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Television GAME Shows

The forum to discuss our hypnotic box. Talk old-time television to what's on this very minute.

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Television GAME Shows

Postby Preston on August 12th, 2005, 5:14 pm

Whenever Television shows are discussed, it seems that they hardly, if ever, include GAME shows. In my case, not only do I love game shows but I have even recorded some of them so I can watch them repeatedly. This applies ESPECIALLY when a game show features CELEBRITIES. For example, one episode I have from the PASSWORD game show features Amanda Blake (from Gunsmoke) and Ray Bolger (from Wizard of Oz). I think of all the celebrities I've seen on a game show, my favorite is the episode of TATTLETALES which featured JOHN ASTIN (from Addams Family).

My point is that I find it very entertaining to watch Actors doing something which is UNscripted. Because in their spontaneity, we see them as they really are.
Preston
Mutant

Television GAME Shows

Postby Lunkhead on August 13th, 2005, 2:54 pm

Some of the game shows I've enjoyed through the years:

THE MATCH GAME
PASSWORD
TO TELL THE TRUTH
FAMILY FEUD
LET'S MAKE A DEAL
HOLLYWOOD SQUARES
JEOPARDY
THE $1.98 BEAUTY PAGEANT
and yes, even WHEEL OF FORTUNE :wink:

I know what you mean about celebrity appearances being highlights. PASSWORD & HOLLYWOOD SQUARES were especially fun due to that.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Panelist Nipsey Russell

Postby Preston on October 4th, 2005, 8:17 pm

A celebrity who just passed away this week is comedian NIPSEY RUSSELL. For those who don't know, NIPSEY was especially famous for his many appearances on various tv-game shows. Regrettably it was quite some time ago so I don't remember the TITLES of those specific game shows. But I remember vividly that I found NIPSEY very entertaining as a celebrity-panelist. If anybody can remember what specific game-shows that NIPSEY appeared on, then maybe the data can be posted here.
Preston
Mutant

Re: Television GAME Shows

Postby Wilytank on October 6th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Lunkhead wrote:Some of the game shows I've enjoyed through the years:

THE MATCH GAME
PASSWORD
TO TELL THE TRUTH
FAMILY FEUD
LET'S MAKE A DEAL
HOLLYWOOD SQUARES
JEOPARDY
THE $1.98 BEAUTY PAGEANT
and yes, even WHEEL OF FORTUNE :wink:

I know what you mean about celebrity appearances being highlights. PASSWORD & HOLLYWOOD SQUARES were especially fun due to that.
They are some what crazy but highly enjoyable.
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Postby Lunkhead on March 21st, 2007, 1:37 pm

I've become quite addicted to DEAL OR NO DEAL. The game is simple yet intense and Howie Mandel is a great host.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Wilytank on April 18th, 2007, 7:36 pm

I've seen a show called ninja warrior.
While not technicly a game show, I still find it entertaining. It's more of an endurance game show.
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Postby Wilytank on May 24th, 2007, 2:58 pm

I've seen a game show on Discovery Channel called Cash Cab. I watch it sometimes. Pretty good.
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Postby Shempchick on June 29th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Was anyone out there a "Gong Show" fan?

Remember "Gene, Gene the dancing machine" & the "Unknown Comic".

I wish they would bring those back into reruns.
The chick who LOVES Shemp (and Larry, Curly & Moe) !!
Shempchick
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Wilytank on June 29th, 2007, 7:58 pm

What's a Gong show?
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Postby Lunkhead on June 29th, 2007, 10:12 pm

Well, it's like this. All the eccentric gong collectors of the world gather annually in Muncie, Indiana. They demonstrate the different tones and volume of each gong for mutual appreciation. The proper stance for striking a gong is displayed, and it all culminates in one loud, deafening clang.
Ok, I'll stop now...
Image :eyegore1: :nerdman2:

Was anyone out there a "Gong Show" fan?

Remember "Gene, Gene the dancing machine" & the "Unknown Comic".

Actually Shempchick, I do remember the show. I haven't seen it probably since the '70s, but I especially liked the "Unknown Comic".
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Game Show "Password"

Postby Preston on March 1st, 2008, 7:35 pm

The Game show PASSWORD is back! Beginning this year 2008 and this time hosted by Regis Philbin. From what I heard, it will be Re-titled as MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD. I guess the Re-titling is apropos because Regis had previously hosted YOU WANT TO BE A MILLIONNAIRE.
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on March 2nd, 2008, 8:56 pm

Cool. I always liked PASSWORD.

Good to have ya back, Preston!

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Preston on March 7th, 2008, 7:46 pm

Lunkhead wrote:Cool. I always liked PASSWORD.

Good to have ya back, Preston!

Thanks for remembering me, Lunk, after my absence of at least two years! As I told you by email, I was home-less for a while, but I have a roof over my head now. What a relief!! What I appreciate the most about your site is the emphasis on NO flaming. There's already enough arguments and bickering at other sites, so it's a refreshing change of pace to visit your message board where I can just sit on your front porch and relax, and just shoot the breeze with good ol' Lunk. Thanks for making me feel at home.
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on March 7th, 2008, 10:56 pm

You're very welcome and thanks for the kind words. Your input here is always appreciated. Glad to hear things are going better for you.

Re: GAME Shows - What are your thoughs on DEAL OR NO DEAL? I know there's not much to the game itself, but I find myself glued when I see it. Mostly luck and knowing when it's good to get out, my wife and I are constantly saying when we'd take the deal or not. Some are tough calls, especially during the recent Million Dollar Missions. A fun, little show that happened to catch on.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Preston on March 8th, 2008, 7:36 pm

Lunkhead wrote:You're very welcome and thanks for the kind words. Your input here is always appreciated. Glad to hear things are going better for you.

Re: GAME Shows - What are your thoughs on DEAL OR NO DEAL? I know there's not much to the game itself, but I find myself glued when I see it. Mostly luck and knowing when it's good to get out, my wife and I are constantly saying when we'd take the deal or not. Some are tough calls, especially during the recent Million Dollar Missions. A fun, little show that happened to catch on.

Much as I hate to say it, DEAL OR NO DEAL does not appeal to me. But since you and your wife enjoy it, I'll just say "To each his own, all things being equal." It's a matter of taste. But one good thing I can say about that show is that it's better than THE PRICE IS RIGHT. To me, to just guess the price of an item is even more boring than watching grass grow. So in comparison, DEAL OR NO DEAL at least builds suspense, so it's good in that sense.
Back to PRICE OF RIGHT, I can't for the life of me figure how PRICE IS RIGHT was voted the best of all the game shows in the special TV GUIDE issue a few years ago. I would have voted for TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES because that show had so many bizarre stunts. So much creativity. That's why in my future postings, I will reminisce about those stunts.
Preston
Mutant

Next

Return to Boob Tube