Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Television GAME Shows

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Television GAME Shows

The forum to discuss our hypnotic box. Talk old-time television to what's on this very minute.

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Re: Television GAME Shows

Postby Preston on June 3rd, 2008, 10:21 pm

Lunkhead, the NEW version of PASSWORD finally aired this past Sunday. How did you like it?
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on June 3rd, 2008, 10:52 pm

Wow, I didn't even know it was on Preston. Did you like it?
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Preston on June 4th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Lunkhead wrote:Wow, I didn't even know it was on Preston. Did you like it?

Well, yes and no. I suppose it's because I caught only part of it. In the "olden" days, I would have used a VCR to record it while I was away. But in the apartment complex I now reside at, it does Not have digital available but just regular cable service because the landlord wants to save money. Otherwise I would have gotten digital so I would have used Dvr to record it.
Lunk, it should be noted that the New version of the game is now one hour but only weekly. I think I prefer it at just Half-hour. Difficult to sustain a game show for a full hour.

For some reason Regis Philbin does Not appeal to me as the host. Maybe it's because I watched it only once so far, so it takes time for a show to grow on me. By the way, Regis himself said that he once appeared as a CONTESTANT on the old version. Also BETTY WHITE (the wife of the original host Allen Ludden) will make a future appearance. I also used to enjoy Betty when she used to appear on the MATCH GAME, remember that one, Lunk?

By the way, Lunk, PASSWORD appears every Sunday. If you have a DVR, then hopefully you can record it to guarantee catching it.
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on June 4th, 2008, 8:32 pm

the MATCH GAME, remember that one, Lunk?

I used to love that show. Gene Rayburn was great.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on June 5th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Back when we got GSN at our place, I loved watching Match Game and Family Feud with Richard Dawson.
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Preston on June 9th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Last night,I watched the second installment of PASSWORD and can now give a more insightful comment. At least to me, it's somewhat of a disappointment because of its modified format. It seems that it's an unwritten law that every time a TV show is revived that it has to be modified in some way. PASSWORD is no exception but for me the modification has hurt it. You see, in the new format, EACH team works on a Password at a time. Why is that bad to me? Well, because if you look back at the ORIGINAL 1960s version, BOTH teams would play with the same word. Let's say the Password is astronaut. If you, Lunk, and me team up, you would give me a clue and I would guess. If I guess wrong, that SAME word passes to the OTHER TEAM for them to try guessing the word too. And if they guess wrong, then it comes back to us again to try. But in the New version,if the Password is astronaut, then you, Lunk try to make me guess the word until I guess it correctly. The object is to guess a specified number of words within a time limit. Then the OTHER TEAM tries it too, after which victory is declared for whichever team has guessed the most words within the time limit. The point I'm trying to make, Lunk, is that the SAME password does NOT travel back and forth between the TWO TEAMS. To me, it was that "back-and-forth" process which made the ORIGINAL version so entertaining. What I'm driving at is that it was the "back-and-forth" process between the two teams which provided the element of CLASHING, you know what I mean, Lunk?
DOGGONE IT, let's have the 1960s version again. :rolleyes:
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on June 10th, 2008, 3:09 pm

Most times, they just don't bring back the same fun as with the original versions.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on June 11th, 2008, 4:16 pm

I agree. Like when I saw the newer version of Family Feud from the 80s, I was like, "I want Dawson!" lol :laugh1:
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Preston on July 9th, 2008, 7:32 pm

Still continuing about PASSWORD, I just found out that the 1960s version had one episode which featured ROD SERLING. That would have been enjoyable to watch. As you know, Mr. Serling had an almost "emotionless" voice which most likely was meant for just his role as TZ host, so I wonder if he changed his voice a bit when he appeared on PASSWORD? I mean, I don't think his Twilight Zone voice would have fit in the light-hearted atmosphere of PASSWORD, know what I mean, Lunk.
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on July 14th, 2008, 8:27 pm

That would certainly be an interesting view.

The password is nightmare. :laugh1:

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby CharlyWalkslikethis on April 28th, 2009, 4:32 pm

Well since no one has commented on this in over 9 months...
And I happen to be here...
The only show I ever set my watch for was (not that I actually set my watch or for that matter even wore a watch) was Jeopardy during Ken Jennings's amazing run. He rocked that show and shame on Alex for not giving him a shout-out when he won an award that year because it's due to Ken that he did. For shame!
Millionaire is interesting stuff. Especially celebrity. "Sir Charles" Barkley is smarter than he looks (and acts) even though he was the last one out of the chair answering correctly the order in which he had played for Auburn, the 76ers, the Suns, and the Rockets. THAT was funny.
Other than that game shows... Eeeh. Don't really miss 'em.
But I did see this one documentary on them once and if this genius dude, Lescek somethin' or other, ever is on a show, I want to see it for shizzle. The guy's a brainiac! Nyuk On!
"Bein' there's no other place around the place I reckon this must be the place I reckon."
CharlyWalkslikethis
Pumpkinbrain

Previous

Return to Boob Tube