Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Who's on first!

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Who's on first!

How about other classic comedy teams, films and shows? Let's hear it for Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, The Marx Brothers, The Honeymooners, etc.

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Who's on first!

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on February 11th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Abbott & Costello of course!
Who's on first, what's on second, I don't know is on third.
I just love that comedy routine that those two did. I'll admit that I'm not that big of a fan of A & C but this one just takes me away. The best part of baseball season is when the radio stations play the routine in the spring.

Here is a link to the text copy of Abbott & Costello's Who's on first

Anyone else enjoy this one?
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on February 11th, 2006, 8:43 pm

Absolutely! It cracks me up every time I hear it. One of the greatest routines ever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I pick up the ball and throw it to first base. Now who's got it?" ~ Lou

"Naturally!" ~ Bud

"Naturally?" ~ Lou

"Naturally." ~ Bud

"OK, so I pick up the ball and throw it to Naturally." ~ Lou

"No! Ya do nothing of the kind! Ya throw it to Who." ~ Bud

"Naturally!" ~ Lou

"Yes." ~ Bud

"That's what I said!!!!!!!!" ~ Lou :mad:

:rotfl:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby RedKing on February 17th, 2006, 1:59 pm

This possibly the funniest verbal routine ever. It never fails to crack me up no matter how many times I hear it.
Moe: "What are you-an idiot, an imbecile, a moron?"
Larry:"I'll give you 10 to 1 I'm in there someplace!"
RedKing
Pumpkinbrain

i agree

Postby Xenorama on February 17th, 2006, 2:16 pm

i love it as well, and it's got a lot of variations (some slightly more adult than others).

ever notice when you see other people do the routine it's sometimes not right? the characters of Bud and Lou are important, as is the timing. most people seem to get the Abbott character down, but "Lou" tends to jump on the lines to early.

at least, that's what i see.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

nyuk\

Postby vincent on June 13th, 2006, 4:00 pm

i just thoughti would write a few wordsin color, becausei finally learned to do thatnyuk, nyuk, nyukbut i forgot about the emoticon, so i cant do it this time
life is a jest, & all things show it\i thought so once, but now i know it\john gay\my own epitaph\1720\(nyuk, nyuk, nyuk)\
vincent
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Wilytank on September 8th, 2006, 3:20 pm

They all have one thing in common...

They don't stand a chance against the stooges. :duh:
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on September 10th, 2006, 1:15 am

Yeah, Abbot and Castello were more cerebral, the stooges were more slapstick mahem, common factor was vauldeville.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Wilytank on September 11th, 2006, 2:55 pm

DangerkittyToTheRescue wrote:Yeah, Abbot and Castello were more cerebral, the stooges were more slapstick mahem, common factor was vauldeville.

Slapstick mayhem always wins in the end.
:manic: :3stooges:
:with_stupid: :with_stupid:
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

MP3

Postby Lunkhead on October 23rd, 2006, 5:31 pm

Here is an MP3 audio version of this classic routine => Who's on First

For the life of me, every time I hear or see them do this bit, I bust a gut laughing. God bless em.

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

new version

Postby Xenorama on November 21st, 2008, 5:49 pm

COSTELLO CALLS TO BUY A COMPUTER FROM ABBOTT

ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you?

COSTELLO: Thanks I'm setting up an office in my den and I'm thinking about buying a computer.

ABBOTT: Mac?

COSTELLO: No, the name's Lou.

ABBOTT: Your computer?

COSTELLO: I don't own a computer. I want to buy one.

ABBOTT: Mac?

COSTELLO: I told you, my name's Lou.

ABBOTT: What about Windows?

COSTELLO: Why? Will it get stuffy in here?

ABBOTT: Do you want a computer with Windows?

COSTELLO: I don't know. What will I see when I look at the windows?

ABBOTT: Wallpaper.

COSTELLO: Never mind the windows. I need a computer and software.

ABBOTT: Software for Windows?

COSTELLO: No. On the computer! I need something I can use to write proposals, track expenses and run my business. what do you have?

ABBOTT: Office.

COSTELLO: Yeah, for my office. Can you recommend anything?

ABBOTT: I just did.

COSTELLO: You just did what?

ABBOTT: Recommend something.

COSTELLO: You recommended something?

ABBOTT: Yes.

COSTELLO: For my office?

ABBOTT: Yes.

COSTELLO: OK, what did you recommend for my office?

ABBOTT: Office.

COSTELLO: Yes, for my office!

ABBOTT: I recommend Office with Windows.

COSTELLO: I already have an office with windows! OK, let's just say I'm sitting at my computer and I want to type a proposal. what do I need?

ABBOTT: Word.

COSTELLO: What word?

ABBOTT: Word in Office.

COSTELLO: The only word in office is office.

ABBOTT: The Word in Office for Windows.

COSTELLO: Which word in office for windows?

ABBOTT: The Word you get when you click the blue 'W'.

COSTELLO: I'm going to click your b lue 'w' if you don 't start with some straight answers. What about financial bookkeeping? You have anything I can track my money with?

ABBOT T: Money.

COSTELLO: That's right. What do you have?

ABBOTT: Money.

COSTELLO: I need money to track my money?

ABBOTT: It comes bundled with your computer.

COSTELLO: What's bundled with my computer?

ABBOTT: Money.

COSTELLO: Money comes with my computer?

ABBOTT: Yes. No extra charge.

COSTELLO: I get a bundle of money with my computer? How much?

ABBOTT: One copy.

COSTELLO: Isn't it illegal to copy money?

ABBOTT: Microsoft gave us a license to copy Money.

COSTELLO: They can give you a license to copy money?

ABBOTT: Why not? THEY OWN IT!

A few days later.

ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you?

COSTELLO: How do I turn my computer off?

ABBOTT: Click on 'START'...
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Re: Who's on first!

Postby Lunkhead on November 23rd, 2008, 12:27 am

:laugh1: Good stuff, David. I think there's a version about rock bands too, right? - Using The Who, Yes, etc.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on December 31st, 2008, 11:07 pm

Here is a truly great version from their 1945 film, THE NAUGHTY NINETIES. I find it even funnier at some points because no one is laughing in the background. You really can concentrate on the slick, verbal chemistry and performance.

"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby CharlyWalkslikethis on April 13th, 2009, 5:20 pm

I am not a fan of the Abbott and Costello movies. I think they're kinda "underdone", but they were awesome on the radio. Some of the funniest comedy I ever heard was off one episode I had. I lost the tape though! AAAAARGH!
As far as Who's on First? the thing that separates them from other ones I've heard is how fast the dialogue flies back and forth. It was so smooth! Great sketch!
"Bein' there's no other place around the place I reckon this must be the place I reckon."
CharlyWalkslikethis
Pumpkinbrain

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 19th, 2009, 7:53 am

CharlyWalkslikethis wrote:As far as Who's on First? the thing that separates them from other ones I've heard is how fast the dialogue flies back and forth. It was so smooth! Great sketch!

I'll agree whole heartedly, amazing how they could move through that piece without a gaff.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Return to Comedy Classics