Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Charlie Chase on TCM Silent Sunday

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Charlie Chase on TCM Silent Sunday

How about other classic comedy teams, films and shows? Let's hear it for Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, The Marx Brothers, The Honeymooners, etc.

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Charlie Chase on TCM Silent Sunday

Postby Afa Dollah on April 2nd, 2007, 2:24 pm

Lunk, I posted this on Stoogeworld so I hope it's okay here as well. I thought I might pick up someone not a regular there who has some info.

Last night on Silent Sunday, TCM featured five Charlie Chase shorts. I have to admit, shamefaced, that I am not familiar with the work of Chase, so this was a great discovery for me. I managed to stay up late enough to see two and a half of them, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

APRIL FOOL - basically the antics of people in a newspaper office on April Fools day.

INNOCENT HUSBANDS - Charlie's wife is jealous and suspects him of everything when he does nothing. He has to explain a woman passed out in his bed.

LONG FLIV THE KING - A princess falls in love with Chase.

MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE - I think this is about him and his wife getting plastic surgery, but didn't stay up for it.

BROMO AND JULIET

Anyway, I got some good laughs out of what I saw so I'm interested in finding out some more about his work. I'm sure someone can fill me in on some other titles to check out. My VCR has gone the way of all electronics, so I couldn't tape what was on last night.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkhead on April 2nd, 2007, 10:48 pm

I posted this on Stoogeworld so I hope it's okay here as well.

That's never a problem, Afa. I double post threads at various boards myself to try and get additional thoughts and information.
I have to admit, shamefaced, that I am not familiar with the work of Chase

I must hang my head as well. His films were not shown on TV when I was growing up, and there are many classic comedies and comedians I've yet to see. Hey, it gives us a lot to check out though, right? :wink:

I watched my first Charlie Chase short last week, "THE CHASES OF PIMPLE STREET" (1934). I found it pretty funny and will check out more of his work as I can. My cable company has an 'On-Demand' feature which includes some TCM films and shorts. That's how I saw that first one. They currently have another, "ARABIAN TIGHTS" (1933), which I'll give a look.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on April 3rd, 2007, 10:00 am

I watched ARABIAN TIGHTS (1933) last night. This one has Charlie unwittingly joining the Foreign Legion. He and his friends then get captured in the desert by an Arabian Sheik. Not bad. It has some funny moments and nice little songs. From what I've read, some find Charlie's silent shorts better than most of his talkies.

The previous short I viewed (also a talkie), THE CHASES OF PIMPLE STREET (1934), featured a domestic plot where involving his wife, sister-in-law and boss. Charlie tries to get his annoying sister-in-law to date a client, but things get mixed-up.

Viewing these first 2 talkies was enough to see that Charlie Chase could be pretty funny. I look forward to seeing more of his work.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Afa Dollah on April 3rd, 2007, 12:38 pm

That On Demand feature would come in handy, I wish my company offered it. Then again, it might be part of the digital upgrade I am resisting with all my might...and my paper-thin wallet. :curly1:

Beastooge said there is a schedule available for the One Reel Wonders on TCM, I can check that out to see what might be coming up a week ahead of time.

Also, I found that there are some Chase DVDs available; Slapstick Symposium among others. I will have to trek to the big box electronics store to see what might be there, then again, there's always eBay or Amazon.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Return to Comedy Classics