Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - ~ ~ ~ LOOK OUT! ~ ~ ~ Oh No! ~ ~ ~ CRASH!!!!

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

~ ~ ~ LOOK OUT! ~ ~ ~ Oh No! ~ ~ ~ CRASH!!!!

General talk about any old ting. Let's yak!

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

~ ~ ~ LOOK OUT! ~ ~ ~ Oh No! ~ ~ ~ CRASH!!!!

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 19th, 2006, 7:43 pm

You guessed it, accident in my 86 Fiero!
Ok, I'm ok I guess, just bummed out a bit. Here's the scene, 4 lane road, two lanes of traffic, I'm in the right hand lane and some kid cuts into my lane driving me into a sign pole. He keeps driving so I tear after him and he pulls into a side street a half mile later where I get his information. Called the police from a pay phone and they say that I can stop by the cop shop and file a report later.

Now here's the questions.

Both of us have PL & PD in Michigan, a no fault state. It was his fault and I have his information. I can sue his insurance company for a maximum of $500.00 for damages after filing a police report,

OR

I can call him up on the phone and offer him an out, pay me $500.00 cash and I won't file a report, I'll sign a waiver and your insurance rates won't go through the roof, he's a young kid.

What do you think?

My right mirror is broken just hanging there, a nice crease in my nose and my alignment is a bit off. I don't want to take advantage of the situation, only fair cost for my grief. Wow that front end popped back into shape, I'll take some pictures later and post them.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 19th, 2006, 7:45 pm

Just posted some pictures at my photopage at http://www.jetman.smugmug.com

Called my insurance agent, she is nice to me always. She said that I can file a "minitort" claim with his insurance company after I file a police report. We both have PL & PD, his insurance company would be liable for $500.00 and the other driver would have a listed "at fault" accident registered with his insurance company for 3 to 5 years. I would have to get a couple of estimates which would be no problem, just take some of my time.
That 3 to 5 years of an at fault accident is my little leverage in this to make this a cash deal. I don't want to embellish this, just want fair compensation, that's all.

Just filed a police report. It'l cost me $10 for a copy of it after it has been processed. Lucky for me that I had my digital camera to take a shot of it before I turned it over to the nice police officer, hehehehehe.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on April 19th, 2006, 9:36 pm

Man, that stinks DK, but I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt. Just my opinion, but since he didn't even stop to see if you were injured, I think he could use a reminder to grow up. If it goes on his record, then maybe he might drive more carefully and/or not leave the scene of an accident he caused. Again, glad you're ok - that's the main concern. I'm sure you'll get the car straightened out eventually. Best of luck with it.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on April 19th, 2006, 9:41 pm

P.S. You've gotten very good with that camera. I was checking some of the pictures out - the autumn leaves pics are gorgeous.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 19th, 2006, 11:21 pm

Lunkhead wrote:P.S. You've gotten very good with that camera. I was checking some of the pictures out - the autumn leaves pics are gorgeous.

Thanks for the compliment. The fall wallpaper shots were taken at high resolution so that they would make nice wallpaper on my computer.
Got a new Dell computer at work, nice monitor, will load one up sometime soon.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on April 21st, 2006, 9:33 am

How are things working out with your car, DK?
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 21st, 2006, 9:58 pm

Well I've been busy at work, but nothing much has happened. I will try for some estimates on Saturday after I put in some time at work.

It's not as bad as I had thought but I do want it (front end) as good as $500.00 will make it. I can do the body work after I get the estimates, it's the front end that I really want to get totally straight. What the hey, the body is basicly plastic, just have to "monster garrage" it back into place. A new bra will cover up the nose if I want.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Preston on April 23rd, 2006, 5:48 am

All this talk about car-accidents rang a bell for me, made me recall something from many years ago that I ran across in the newspaper. It was about a driver who had his best friend as passenger in his car. The driver drove recklessly, which resulted in a car-crash. The driver survived, but his passenger, his best friend, got killed. Of course, the driver felt very Remorseful because the Dead person was his best friend. That remorse was recognized by the Judge. So instead of sentencing the driver to prison, the way he punished the driver was quite unusual. He stipulated that the driver always display a picture of his dead friend on his car's DASHBOARD! That was in addition to the driver speaking to Civic groups about his tragedy. I don't know what you folks think, but when I mentioned this to a friend, he said the punishment is too harsh, because the driver has to see the Dashboard-picture every time he drives so that it might make him so upset that he might crash again. Well, I don't know whether I agree with that observation or not, but I certainly think the punishment was unusual. Never heard of anybody else getting that kind of punishment.
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on April 23rd, 2006, 10:08 am

That certainly is different. Not sure how I feel about it either, but it must be terrible living with a memory like that.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

looka this

Postby Xenorama on April 23rd, 2006, 11:11 am

here's my new one-

remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 23rd, 2006, 11:14 am

Cruel and unusual punishment? I don't know. Could file an appeal, move out of the jurisdiction or sell the car to your buddy for a buck and drive "his" car.

Anyways, I'll be a calling the kid soon as I assemble some more information. Downloaded the court forms, maps and I have looked up his phone number. Did I mention that my co-workers have found the witness, their buddy saw the accident.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on April 23rd, 2006, 11:46 am

Best of luck with all the proceedings DK. Hope it all works out the best for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Megs, that's a great lookin set of wheels ya got! Enjoy! :thumbs_up1:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on May 4th, 2006, 6:47 pm

Quick update,

Called the kids insurance company and filed a minitort claim. I got three estimates on damage, each about $900.00 and filed one with his insurance company.

I got denied due to the details being disputed by the kid. He told his ins co that I drove into his lane, hit him and bounced out of control into the curb and sign.

Now I find it difficult to understand how I can willfully drive into his car that is in full view. I have never been in an at fault accident ever. If I were to drive into his car that would be felonious assult. You can bet that if I had hit your car you sure would have stopped and got my information. He did not, rather he drove away and I had to chase him down for his information. The kid is an idiot.

Well now, it just so happens that two of my coworkers know a friend that actually saw the accident. I'll get them to contact their friend right away.

In the mean time, I think that I might consider writing a letter to the kid and see if I can shake him up into changing his story at his insurance company before I sue his butt in court.

Man alive, it never stops, does it?
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on May 5th, 2006, 9:35 pm

It's good that you have a witness. Too bad he's being a jerk and not taking responsiblity for what he did. I hope everything works out for you.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

boot

Postby Xenorama on May 5th, 2006, 9:45 pm

he needs a booting. do the old "Brady" trick if you have to sue. having witnesses will really help. have them write statements out for your ins. company, that should scare him good!

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Next

Return to Open Discussion