Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - A new career

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

A new career

General talk about any old ting. Let's yak!

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Postby Lunkhead on February 9th, 2007, 12:22 am

Hey guys, I've been offered a position with a trucking company. It's a really good opportunity, where I'll receive advanced training and mentoring. I'm very excited to be getting started, however, the job will initially require me going on the road for days at a time. My online life will suffer for a while, but this is something I have to do at this point. I will be investigating internet options that are available on the road, and hopefully get a laptop at some point. But starting out, you'll probably see much less of me here for a time. I'll keep yas posted.

P.S. Don't worry. I'll still be checking in as often as I can. You mugs ain't getting rid of me that easily. Plus, I won't be starting for a while.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Afa Dollah on February 9th, 2007, 1:01 pm

Congratulations and good luck. We'll try to hold down the fort!
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkhead on February 9th, 2007, 1:46 pm

Thanks Afa!
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Wilytank on February 9th, 2007, 5:26 pm

Afa Dollah wrote:Congratulations and good luck. We'll try to hold down the fort!

Sounds good for me.

Alright, Privates! We are ordered by Lt. Col. Lunkhead to hold down this fort. And if you mess up I'LL KILL YA!!! lol :laugh1:
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Postby Lunkhead on February 9th, 2007, 8:30 pm

Thanks Fellas! :2thumbs:

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Lunkhead's on the Road!

Postby Exile on February 9th, 2007, 8:40 pm

Congratulations!!!!

I envy you Lunk, with all that open road ahead of you. Think of the rest of us slaving away in our cubes, while you're out there having fun.
Exile
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkhead on February 9th, 2007, 8:55 pm

Thanks Exile. I swear I'm gonna have that next PRISONER episode up soon. :wink:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

re

Postby Shemp Shady on February 10th, 2007, 2:54 am

Hey, Lunk! I is in -- and keep on truckin'!

Here's to a great MLB season in '07'

(POW!! Ock, ock, ock!)
Shemp Shady
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkhead on February 10th, 2007, 2:09 pm

Thanks Shemp Shady, and good to see you back!
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on February 18th, 2007, 8:39 pm

Lunkhead wrote:Hey guys, I've been offered a position with a trucking company. It's a really good opportunity, where I'll receive advanced training and mentoring. I'm very excited to be getting started, however, the job will initially require me going on the road for days at a time.

So here I am, watching "Smokey and the Bandit" (I can't get that song out of my head now, LOL) on cable thinking about our good buddy Lunkhead driving somewhere out in the northeast corridor. Say do you guys use CB radios anymore?
If you're checking in by satelite internet, hope that things are going great, look forward to some stories when you get back.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Hi guys!!

Postby Lunkhead on February 25th, 2007, 6:47 pm

I know this sounds crazy fellas, but I'm back home already. To make a long story short, being separated from my family was not going to work. Everything was going fine with training. I was passing the company tests and learning to drive over-the-road with a trainer. The driving part was going well, but as I got deeper into it, the realization of not being around my kids on a daily basis really started to get to me. It was a concern even before I went away. But sometimes, you just have to try things to see if they can work. It was still a good experience. I would have always wondered if I hadn't tried. An over-the-road trucking career is a totally different type of life-style. It's great for some people, but just not my cup of tea. However, my CDL license is still a valuable asset. I can still get a local job, even if it's just a CDL-B straight truck, etc. I know everything will be fine on the job scene.

Thanks again everyone for your support. I especially want to thank our Mods DK and Xenorama for looking after things here.

Man, that was a real quick trip, wasn't it? :laugh1:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Afa Dollah on February 26th, 2007, 2:39 pm

Well Lunk, at least you gave it a real shot. I don't know how old your kids are, but I think it is really important to have your dad around when you are growing up, especially in the early teen / teen / high school times. My dad worked away from about the time I was 12 and I think it caused more problems than the money was worth. So I say KUDOS TO YOU! for putting your family first.

As you say, I'm sure there are a lot of local CDL jobs where you can use your training and license and still be home. Good luck, ya big lug.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkhead on February 27th, 2007, 9:26 am

Thanks Afa. Yep, my youngest are the twins who'll turn 14 next month. We're very close and it's more important that I'm around during these years.

Hey, I already have something else in the works. Yesterday, I applied for a local driving position where I'd be home every night and off most weekends. It's a smaller, straight truck too, which honestly I think I'd be more comfortable driving anyhow. It looks like a good position for me and my family, but first they have to do the background check, motor vehicle report, etc, which takes time. I'll still keep applying at other places just in case, but I'm hopeful this is the one. Looks like a nice company. The main thing is that having this CDL is opening up lots of doors for employment and I should be back to work soon.

"We looked for a job last year. There ain't any." ~ :curly1:

"That's because you forgot to show em your CDL you idiot!" ~ :moe1: <<SLAPS CURLY>>

"CDL... I know! That stands for Cat and Dog License." ~ :larry1:

"Yeah, here Kitty..." ~ :moe1: <<GRABS LARRY BY HIS PORCUPINE HAIR>>
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

and the saga continues...

Postby Lunkhead on March 8th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Well, things had been looking good for this new local job and in the end, I still may get it. They wanted me to start next Monday, 3/12 and I was very happy to hear that. However, yesterday I went to get my drug screen and another DOT physical. Now I was already aware from 2 previous physicals that I've got some trouble with hernias, but both doctors passed me for up to a year (though I was given advice to get them fixed as soon as possible). This time the doctor said I should get them operated on right away and only cleared me for 3 months. So under my family doctor's referral, I went to a surgeon who also said they should be corrected now and he scheduled the surgery for next Wednesday 3/14. Recovery could take from 2 to 6 weeks (though that's worse case - he said it's usually around 2 or 3 weeks). Afterward, I called my potential new employer and explained everything. He said he'll probably still have a driver position open up until the end of April, and to call him after the surgery and recovery - so I'm hoping it may still work out. Either way, this is something I have to get done. It'll be ok I'm sure, because my doctor's last name is not Howard or Fine. I'll keep yas posted!
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

good luck!

Postby Xenorama on March 8th, 2007, 6:06 pm

hope you don't hear the slogan "For duty and humanity!"

and don't ask what a pippin is!

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama