Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Hi everyone, I got a cat.

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Hi everyone, I got a cat.

General talk about any old ting. Let's yak!

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Hi everyone, I got a cat.

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on February 3rd, 2007, 11:17 am

Got a call from my cousin that took in a stray cat, can't find owner so she had it checked out and neutered., shots ect, at vets office, said it was about one year old, grey male in very healthy shape with claws.

Couldn't sleep a wink first or second night, checked on the cat every half an hour, it's ok. Changed out the L-box, food and water bowl this morning before work, what an adventure, got clawed once, man alive, that cat is lightning fast.

I was told to keep it in it's cage for two days to acclimate to new surroundings Well anyways,,,.

I ain’t letting this cat out,,,,

,,,,for nothing in the world!

I love cats but this one scares me to death. Flashbacks of an old cat named "Slugger" tearing up the bathroom on Corrine street in Plymouth haunting me but worse. No kidding, if I let this one out, I'll have to call animal control to capture it. It just does not seem like a regular house cat, not adjusting, hissing at me, hiding in the box, trying to make purchase with anything within reach, blankets, towels, rugs and me!

It's not doing normal things like calming down, sitting up, cleaning itself; its demeanor is downright wicked, flat-eared and vicious eyed.

I really love the idea of a little friend in the house but my gut feeling is this is crazy, no way. Honest, I'm really frightened of this cat and I love cats.

Probably make a great barn cat or a garage cat; I don't think I stand a chance with a stray feral house or tomcat brought inside. Give me credit for trying though, it's heartbreaking that I can't do anything, really wanted to help this cat. This bums me out, I didn't take this commitment lightly, I'll give it another day to see if this cat trys to respond in a positive way. I'm crushed about this, if it doesn't work out, giving it back to my cousin. Then I'm going to the shelter and give a pound cat a new lease on love.

Oh yeah, my cousin and her husband decided to make a surprise visit last night to check on the new cat and deliver some food. I was expecting them today and not during our monthly chat time, will we ever meet up again.

Anyways, I think that cat has got to go.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on February 3rd, 2007, 8:03 pm

Hi DK. Wow, that does sound like a difficult situation. I think it's great you're trying to give the cat a chance. It could be that he had a very tough life up til now - fighting to survive on his own outside. You never know though. He might take to you at some point if he can learn to trust. He looks like a handsome little guy. I hope it works out. Keep us updated and best of luck to you.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on February 3rd, 2007, 9:07 pm

Cat is sleeping all day, I'm a wreck about this, caught a nap earlier, didn't help much. My cousin trapped the cat to get it out of the frozen tundra, had it neutered and paws treated for frostbite at vets, checked out too. I swear that she trapped a male tom cat. Picture doesn't show justice but this is a very tough, rugged looking beast of a cat.
Below zero temps outside with insane wind chills, this cat wouldn't have survived so I'm doing a good thing here.
I'll see how it reacts after it wakes up.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

good luck

Postby Xenorama on February 4th, 2007, 2:27 am

you should have a local shelter that would take it in, and if it can't be rehabilitated, it can be let go, or euthanized if they decide that would be best. poor cat.

of course, if you bring a new one home, that would help make up for it. good luck on this tough choice.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkhead on February 4th, 2007, 6:48 pm

Any better today DK?
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on February 4th, 2007, 11:55 pm

Called my cousin Karen and asked her to please come by and pick up the cat. Honest, I thought that I was rescuing somebodys stray house cat, not taking in a full blown, totaly wild tomcat. It would be a different story if I could keep it outside and provide a heated shelter inside of a garage or a barn. This one has got to be a great mouser, you don't survive without being good at catching your dinner. Its stout, tough look suggests that it is very good at critter control as well. My cousin Karen did mention that she was associated with a group that places these cats at farms so the cat does still have a lease on life.

I did a good thing though, I took in a cat, provided warmth, food, essentials and helped to save its life. The exposure to a home element may help this cat in the future, I'll do it again if it saves a life.

The cat does seem more calm today. I just wasn't prepared to domesticate a totaly wild cat. If I had known before hand, If I had more space, If I had some larger cages, I may have tried to carry on.

I would have been cool to have the toughest looking cat on the block let alone in the city, sure would scare the cableman.

Anyways, I'm looking into perhaps a Bengal cat.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on February 5th, 2007, 8:43 pm

Sorry to hear it didn't work out, but you did your best. You helped him for now, and it's good to know the cat might still get placed on a farm (which he would probably love).

When you're ready, maybe a more domesticated feline from a shelter would be nice for you. Cats can be such great company. We have 3 cats and a dog and they all are very affectionate in their own way.

Best of luck to you DK.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on February 6th, 2007, 11:46 am

Thanks Lunk, I've still got the stray tomcat.

Oh man alive..... Cousin Karen was going to pick it up but her husband's back went out, she has to take care of him. I've got the cat for a couple of more days. Now Karen says that she may not be able to place the cat on a farm.

I don't know what to say, I feel bad for the cat but I can't keep it. The cat just wants to hide in its cardboard box while I'm there. I'm going to bring home a new box maybe slightly larger, and a smaller litter box so it will have a bit more floor space in the cage. I'm going to try to make that cat as comfortable as possible, make it feel loved.

If I had a larger cage and a spare room or a garage it may be a different story about trying to domesticate it.

I did stop by the pet shelter, made a donation, checked out some cats too, nothing that really responded to me. I am going to take a look at the Bangel cat this week, see if it responds to me.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on February 6th, 2007, 12:01 pm

It's a tough situation. I remember before we got our current dog (who's now over 12 years old!), we had a hard time finding one that was right for our family. Our previous dog, Snowball, was a sweet little thing and not easily replaced. We tried one dog, which was more of a retriever, but the house was too small for him and he definitley did not like me ;). Then we got a smaller dog from the SPCA. He seemed to like us, but when one of my son's friends came in, he ran across the living room and bit him on the back of his leg. So naturally, we couldn't keep him either. Then our Jilldog came along, a pup from a friend and she's been great.

I hope things ease up for you. I didn't know much about the Bengal cats you mentioned, so I googled them and here is a neat site with lots of info BengalCat.com . Man, those cats are beautiful.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

bengals

Postby Xenorama on February 6th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Bengals are great cats. i have an ex who has one, and she's just wonderful. very vocal, so if you get one, be prepared for a talker.

good luck with this one.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkhead on February 6th, 2007, 5:49 pm

That's cool. I love when they talk in their own way. My Harly Jr does that to get me to let him in the back kitchen for his dry food. He practically yells at me sometimes to hurry up! :laugh1:

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on February 10th, 2007, 7:33 pm

See that looks like a normal cat.

Ok, everyone here is an update. My Cousin is laying the guilt trip on me to force me into keeping the cat. Oh yes, she's clever, she has been dropping off presents such as a $20 gormet to go dinner, cat food, cat herbal relaxers and (get this) a plug in herbal scent relaxing mood therapy scent. Yup, just like a glade plug in. I did not even think of opening up that goofy thing!

Anyways, last night about 2:30 AM I was still awake in bed watching some WWII stuff on the History Channel and the cat decide to act up like he usually does in the middle of the night. He was banging around in his cage and trying to pull the plastic sheeting into his cage. Well I had enough of this crap, I got up and scolded him, he hissed at me, I banged on the cage, he hissed, I banged again, he hissed, I banged for a third time, he went into his box and all was quiet for the night.

This morning it is acting like a changed cat, nicer, more docile, more relaxed. Hmmmm, did I break the cat of his wildness?

Today, I get a call from my cousin Karens friend who also rehabilitates cats, yes, more guilt trip. Half an hour later I get a call from Karen and she wants to get the cat out of my appartment on Sunday.

I am now somewhat undecided, if the cat acts like a normal cat, wouldn't be against keeping it. I would love to see its reaction outside of the cage but I'm afraid I may never catch it. Might try it though.

I really want a bangel though, did look at one, its a bit unsocialized so I'm debating it, but i'll watch my current cat named "Bruiser the Terror Cat" in the mean time tonight.

Man alive, there's nothing like a bit of drama in my life.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on February 11th, 2007, 9:21 am

Sounds like it still might work out, but definitely tough decisions. How's Bruiser today?
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on February 11th, 2007, 9:36 pm

Still got the cat, Karen can't place it so I agreed to try to domesticate it so it can be placed in a nice home.

Ok, I opened the cage door, the cat didn't budge, I cooked brunch, cleaned up a bit, and both me and the cat took afternoon naps.

The cat is just sitting on top of it's box/home watching me in the appartment, still inside of the cage with an open door.

I am hoping that the cat percieves the cage as a safe place for it to stay, has its food, litter box and its home box. You know, come out explore and retreat back into its safe spot.

My thought is that the cat will come out just as I am trying to get some sleep. I'm hoping that it won't do too much damage in the appartment overnight. Man alive, there always is some drama in my life.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on February 12th, 2007, 9:54 am

Yes you guessed it; the cat came out just as I am trying to get some sleep. It was making some noise so I'm hoping that it didn’t do too much damage in the apartment overnight, hard to tell, I was rushing for work this morning.

Anyways, this morning the cat was sitting on one of my dining room chairs, that’s fine by me, so I pulled its food bowl, litter box and his cardboard box/home out of the cage. As long as it uses the litter box along with the scratching post, I’ll be ok.

Should be interesting when I get home from work today.

Oh yeah, I think that the name Bruiser (the terror cat) is going to stick.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Next

Return to Open Discussion