Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Hi everyone, I got a cat.

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Hi everyone, I got a cat.

General talk about any old ting. Let's yak!

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 29th, 2007, 11:46 pm

Kitten or cat is your choice, older cat is more docile, kitten is so very active. Most breeders will have a no de-claw clause in the contract, you can trim the claws though every month and provide scratch posts and or cat tree condo scratchers. A cat will live so much longer if he is an indoor only cat, you just need plenty of entertainment, toys, cat safe plants, window seats and activity.

Shelter cats have usually been screened and have been informed about a cats temperment and weather the cat has been exposed to dogs, children and other cats.

I will say this, modern advances in cat litter and disposal have made maintaining an indoor cat a breeze.
Now a days, cat ownership can be a 15 to 20 year commitment, just make sure you are up to your part of the bargain.

One of the best books about cat ownership is "Cats for Dummies", about $20 bucks, well worth it prior to getting a cat. You can always browse through it at your favorite book store. You are doing a good thing by asking questions first, keep researching the subject, different breeds have different temperments, you can find a cat that suits your lifestyle.

Good luck in your decision.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Afa Dollah on April 30th, 2007, 3:14 pm

Thanks. Any critter coming in here will be well cared for. Personally I would not declaw a cat. It will be coming from a shelter, so I can go there into the cat rooms - not in cages - and check them out. They have little profiles on them, personalities, ages and so on. I'll take a look at the book you recommended as well. I was mainly wondering if it would be happier with another cat around to do cat things with or be fine with just me here.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 30th, 2007, 6:13 pm

The shelter can tell you if the cat was a loner or was in a group of other pets. Most cats are solitary by nature, some breeds are very docile and do fine by themselves.
A few breeds are very active and may tend to were you down as their only source of companionship and play, especially when they are young.
Most cats after a year or two tend to act like normal good for nothing, ignore you, where is my food cats (they still love you though)

That book I recommended is a great resource to help you decide.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on April 30th, 2007, 8:04 pm

Afa, sorry to hear about your dog Joe. It's always hard losing a beloved pet, especially one you've had for so many years.

We've got 3 cats and a dog. Our dog is about 14 years old, the oldest cat is 7, and the two younger cats are 2. They all get along well. The cats are kept indoors and I agree it's much safer for them.

DK's suggestions are very good. It's smart to investigate first. A kitten will initially take much more of your time and attention, but eventually will grow and settle down. I agree cats can be left on their own more easily, as long as they have their essentials.

It's good you can find out the cat's background first. That will help. In our case, I think the cats do keep each other company when no one is around. The two youngest are brothers and particularly close - they look out for each other. They share well and play together like the dickens at times (particularly around midnight!). All our pets are affectionate to us, and have been good company to me during all this time I've been home.

Good luck with finding the right one(s)!
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Afa Dollah on May 1st, 2007, 1:12 am

Thanks a lot, guys; I really appreciate it.
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Afa Dollah on May 8th, 2007, 5:46 pm

HEY EVERYONE! I GOT A CAT!

I went out and gathered a litter box, scoop and liners, a scratching post, one of those cardboard scratchy deals with catnip in it and a couple of feathered bouncy ball things. And this afternoon I went to the shelter and adopted one of the three cats out of 150 or so I had decided on during earlier visits. I chose a four year old red tabbie, short haired domestic with the shelter name Redford. I'll have to wait until he tells me his name to do something about that. He came from the shelter in 2003 as a kitten, the owners declawed him in front, the poor guy, and brought him back a little while ago. I couldn't find out why, even though my friend is a vet tech there. He yowled up a storm on the ride back in the cardboard box carrier thing, not loud, just upset. He's been here a little over two hours now, just checking things out, rubbing my legs every now and then and cruising off again. Think he's glad to be out of the cat rooms. I closed off most of the house until he gets used to the rest. He ate some food but hasn't used the box yet, even though he knows where it is. He rolled all over the catnip scratch thing, so I'm thinking he's a nip-head. Actually he did it twice. Seems to be more vocal after that. Just cruising around checking things out. He follows me around the house like a dog would, then goes off. I'll check on him now. Up on the counter, the booger. Have to get a squirtgun, set some boundaries, dammit. They gave me some science diet dry food, he's munching some of that. He just came in to the office and now I have a cat in my lap, watching me type. This to me seems like a good sign. Okay, he wants to sit right on the mousepad. I use a wooden TV tray next to my chair for a mouse station and he's laying on the pad and the wrist support bean bag thingie. Climb down, prowl the office. Hide under the other desk and watch through the floor fan. Now he's looking like he may nap under there. Maybe he found a spot. Is this happy cat behavior? Seems like it to me. If he would use the litterbox, it would help make my day. Am I gushing? A proud dad?
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkhead on May 8th, 2007, 7:17 pm

Sounds like you picked a winner Afa. I'm sure he'll start using the litter box soon. Cats seem to naturally know what it's for. That's great he's already sitting on your lap. He'll probably be an affectionate cat. Tabbies usually are. I love 'em. Best of luck and concatulations!!
:dk:

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on May 8th, 2007, 10:20 pm

Wow, way to go Afa!

Sounds like a cool cat. For some reason those shelter cats make the most affectionate cats. Oh yeah, dry food is a good thing!
I've got the premimum non-scented clumping liter, my gosh that stuff is great, well worth the extra bucks, doesnt smell, easy to keep up. The shelter can tell you what kind of liter was used to and you can make the switch gradually.

Sounds like the cat is taking to his home real well. Keep him in his little area for a week or so, to us it sounds cruel but to a cat it's conforting.
You'll make a good cat owner, I'm sure of it. Congratulations again!
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Afa Dollah on May 9th, 2007, 1:14 pm

Cat uses litterbox, film at 11.

Sometime during the night he used the box. ExquisiCat extra strength, clumping, non scented no dust litter worked like a charm. Recommended by my vet tech friend who is currently fostering NINE cats. This stuff sure beats the hell out of cat litter I remember from 20 years ago. No odor at all. Big solid clump. Opened up the master bed and bath for exploration. He likes the bed.

Had a pretty good night, he woke me up bunting me in the head a couple of times with his face. I'm told this means he is claiming me. I moved him and said he couldn't sleep on my pillow and after that he seemed content to curl up sort of next to me and then at the foot of the bed. He wandered around some, knocked a prescription bottle into the sink. He's stretched out in the middle of the bed now. Neat cat. Possible names - Redford, Bogart, Topper, Basil, Loki.....and so on. He seems to like Topper, but I'm going to give him some more time, see if he has any defining behaviors. Still hasn't shown any interest in playing, I think he's still adjusting to the fact he's not in the shelter and everything here he can see is fascinating him.
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkhead on May 9th, 2007, 4:12 pm

He seems to be settling in nicely. Like you said, he'll probably want to play after he gets even more comfortable. Try using a string sometime - they all seem to be a sucker for that. Even my 7 year old cat loves to chase one. Sounds like things are going well for you and your new friend. All those name choices are cool (especially Bogart). Continued good luck to ya Afa.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

names

Postby Xenorama on May 9th, 2007, 4:24 pm

cat names can be tricky. of course, i can't seem to name ANY cat normally, ask Ms Dacya.

this is a Bengal cat i used to watch a lot, her name is Kaeyla Rae. just an incredible cat.

David (the curl is my fave)
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkhead on May 9th, 2007, 9:31 pm

Wow, look at the color on Miss Rae! Just gorgeous, David.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Afa Dollah on May 9th, 2007, 11:19 pm

What a beautiful cat. Still waiting for this cat to tell me his name. He did climb into my lap again just now and is wondering what I am doing since I am not actively petting him. Perhaps Shiva, Lord of Destruction is his designation...OOPS, sorry for the delay. I had to scratch under My Liege's chin. Now, is this cat asleep in my lap or just napping, or in a state of Catopia - like a master of meditation....from this noise he's making, I think he's asleep, but he may be ninja-ing me. Yep, there he goes. Sorry if I'm babbling, this is just a very nice, affectionate cat, and it's a very cool new experience for me. Naming is tough. Catzilla? Kitty Kong? Kit Kong? Catula? Tabbystein? The Invisible Cat? Schroediger? Piewacket? Carlos Catsenada? Your Majesty? My Lord? Ghengis? Sher Khan? Meowgli? Get Off There You? Hey Dammit? NoNoNoNONONO!? The list is not getting shorter....(just joshing there...)
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkhead on May 9th, 2007, 11:48 pm

Afa, post a picture of you-know-who if you're able so we can get a gander. Sounds like a very affectionate cat. They really are good company.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Afa Dollah on May 10th, 2007, 1:22 pm

Thanks Lunk. I'm working on a photo. We have play behavior today. Toy of choice? The plastic pull off thingie from a jug of milk. Must be getting more comfortable.
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion