Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Board Upgrade

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Board Upgrade

General talk about any old ting. Let's yak!

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Board Upgrade

Postby Lunkhead on January 1st, 2008, 6:29 pm

Hi Guys,

Well, hope I haven't shocked you all too much. I had some spare time with the holiday and geeked around most of the day. I'd been thinking about upgrading the board to the latest phpBB version recently, so I tried the new software in a test environment. Things went so well I went ahead and did the whole upgrade and converted over all our previous board data. I checked and it looks like everything came over fine - all the posts, users, historical data, images, etc. The main reason I did this upgrade was to keep up with software compatibility changes with my webhost. This upgrade will likely prevent future problems.

Please let me know if anyone has any problems with passwords, logging in, posting, etc. I'm sure I can help with those issues. Email me if you have any trouble. In a worse case scenario, I could still revert everything back to the previous board and software, as it's all backed up.

Right now, this is the default look of the board, but the new software allows for much more customization than the previous version. It'll be a lot easier to change the look of individual forums and things. They've added lots of cool stuff - so much that it'll be a while before I know all the possibilites of what we can do. For instance, if you go in and edit your profile, you can now add your birthdate and a you'll receive a birthday greeting on the main page at the bottom when your day rolls around. That's just one little thing.

I will be fiddling with the look of the board as I get time, but for now, go ahead and post away. I shouldn't have to take the board offline to make any more changes.

Thanks everyone for all your support through these years, and have a Great, Happy New Year!!!!
Lunk
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

the Board Upgrade

Postby Xenorama on January 1st, 2008, 7:07 pm

lookin' good, lots of cool stuff in the upgrade. look at all the neato stuff you can do!

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Re: Board Upgrade

Postby Lunkhead on January 1st, 2008, 7:11 pm

Thanks David. :manic:

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Re: the Board Upgrade

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on January 1st, 2008, 7:15 pm

Xenorama wrote:lookin' good, lots of cool stuff in the upgrade. look at all the neato stuff you can do!

David

Neato stuff?!!! Yeah, more ways to wreck the joint!

Nothing like starting off the new year with a new "improved" board.

Thanks Lunk! :wink:
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on January 1st, 2008, 7:19 pm

You're more than welcome, DK. Thanks! :thumbs_up1:

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Afa Dollah on January 1st, 2008, 9:43 pm

Hey, the place looks great! Can't wait to see all of the cool updates.... :curly3:
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkhead on January 2nd, 2008, 6:15 am

Thanks Afa. Glad you like it. I still have to tweak some things, but we'll get there.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Changing the font size

Postby Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 8:23 pm

Wow, I found another new cool item they added. Toward the upper right there is something that looks like the letter A (with a down arrow on its left and an up arrow on its right). If you click on it, you can increase and decrease the overall font size of the board (at least while you're logged in). That is a pretty neat addition!

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 8:29 pm

I also like how it displays that we're "Online" on our avatars when logged in.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on January 5th, 2008, 11:13 pm

Lunkhead wrote:I also like how it displays that we're "Online" on our avatars when logged in.

Yeah, I actually say you online late Saturday night, tried to shoot you a PM for instant chat. Maybe you could "thumbtack" a thread with the chat link up top? Up to you of course.

Great board, it's nice that it has the simillar profile of the other boards on the internet, makes it easy to use.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Chat Room

Postby Lunkhead on January 6th, 2008, 2:21 am

DK, I received a pop-up alert when you PM'd me, which is a cool feature. By the time I replied back, you had logged out. I added a new Chat area in the General section. It's the same chat software that David has on his board. What's nice is that it blends right into the message board. Do you guys think it's better to have the chat room right within the board itself? (I made it visible only to registered members which is probably a good idea.)

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on January 6th, 2008, 8:29 am

Visible to registered members, that's a smart idea in itself!

A feature that I "discovered" in my user preferences is a "friends-foes" feature, I added a couple of my favorite mugs to the list, supposed to make communicating easier, we'll see. It actually adds a "quick" link in the private message section for ease of sending messages, you no longer have to look up user names.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on February 27th, 2008, 6:09 pm

I absolutely love the new look!

This is nice and clean, the blue background is perfect, it outlines the posts nicely, makes reading much easier. Thanks Lunkhead, it really looks sharp.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on February 28th, 2008, 8:06 pm

You're welcome, DK, and thanks for the kind words. They have quite a few styles available, so I thought I'd give different sections different appearances without changing too drastically. I'll eventually add another little option I think you'll like - but I have to work on the graphics first.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on May 5th, 2008, 10:29 pm

DangerkittyToTheRescue wrote:I absolutely love the new look!

This is nice and clean, the blue background is perfect, it outlines the posts nicely, makes reading much easier. Thanks Lunkhead, it really looks sharp.

Didn't know this but there is a difference in the look (skin) of the message board when you're logged in or out.
When logged in, there is a nice blue border and the posts are easy to read. When logged out, the text is spread across the screen, not as stylish in my opinion.

Learn something new everyday, looks like I have to stay logged in. :wink:
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Next

Return to Open Discussion