Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Fixed subwoofer, cats stuck to ceiling, hehehe, I love it.

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Fixed subwoofer, cats stuck to ceiling, hehehe, I love it.

General talk about any old ting. Let's yak!

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Fixed subwoofer, cats stuck to ceiling, hehehe, I love it.

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 1st, 2012, 9:41 am

You're going to love this, fixed my subwoofer, stuck all 4 cats to the apartment ceiling and I also got bonus points for sticking the neighbors cats too, muwahahahaha.

Couple of months ago, next door apartment neighbor goes on vacation so it was the perfect time to fix the broken RCA jack on the rarely used subwoofer on the suround sound for "war movie week" at tom's house.

During inspection of the subwoofer, with plenty of assistance from the cats, I discovered, due to cheap manufacturing, that the RCA jack had broken off the circuit board. Undeterred, I hooked up with the standard analog speaker wire option.

I vetoed the cats movie selection of "Song Birds", put on "Saving Private Ryan" instead and about 15 minutes into the landings at Normandy, it sounded like the Germans scored a direct hit on my sub woofer. The sub woofer had totally dry rotted from age, fortunately it didn't blow through the apartment wall or injure a cat, (I wish).

I ordered up a brand new and much stronger sub woofer speaker from Parts Express dot com, warning, lot's of audio eye candy there. During installation, with the cats distracted with the packaging materials, I managed to punch a hole with my cordless drill into the foam ring of my new speaker. Ooops is too late and yes, I'm an idiot but I was able to make a perfect repair using automotive black RTV sylicone gasket seal.

Once again I vetoed the cats movie selection of "The Lion King", remember that I'm much bigger than they are and put on "Band of Brothers". Much to the cats chagrin, my subwoofer was emitting the worse fingernail on chalk board sound you ever did hear in your life so it's back to work bench, (kitchen table).

I decided to go for broke and attempt "open circuit surgery" on the broken RCA jack circuits. While a hot soldering iron doesn't make a good cat toy, I managed to facilitate the repairs using strands of copper wire, tweezers, patience and plenty of advice from the cats.

With popcorn in hand, a round of Frisky Treats for the cats, we all settle in for for an evening of "Cats the Musical" and that's when the cats got stuck to the ceiling. Instead of "Cats" we got Peter Kuran's "The Atomic Bomb Movie". Gee whiz, don't know how that happened but it sounds awesome, subwoofer kicks cats butt for sure.

Yeah, I know that was kinda mean so I made up by serving the 4 little monsters a special treat of Fancy Feast and tuna fish warmed up gently in the microwave which they eagerly gobbled up.

So all is well now except for the two pictures that I blew off the wall but that's ok, I'll hang those securely before watching "The Bridge at Remagen" or "Combat with Vic Morrel" or "Platoon" or "Animal Planet" or "Das Boot" or,,,,,,,
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Re: Fixed subwoofer, cats stuck to ceiling, hehehe, I love it.

Postby moe-jo on April 2nd, 2012, 9:48 am

:laugh1: Glad to hear the subwoofer is up and running and the cats are satisfied, DK.
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 7th, 2012, 5:08 pm

moe-jo wrote::laugh1: Glad to hear the subwoofer is up and running and the cats are satisfied, DK.

Thanks buddy!

Yes, up and running strong, matter of fact, we've got Animal Planet's "My Cat From Hell" on. My cats are amused, the ocassional hiss from the show perks their ears up, it's all good.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 7th, 2012, 6:53 pm

You know, I am still amazed that I was able to "jump" the broken circuit board with strands of copper wire.

I do respect my neighbors right to peace and quiet, I went through and did sound checks in the past when the next door apartment was vacant, I've got known maximum volume levels, never get close to exceeding them, did the remote speaker placement near my working areas all in an effort to be able to enjoy myself with the least possible sound foot print.

Now with that said, I do care about my next door neighbor, she knows I careful about sound levels for her, she never hears anything so on the ocassional weekend, I'll actually give her a heads up prior to letting it rip for a movie. She's really cool, when i mentioned I was going to watch Dr Stangelove, she said, "I really like that movie, can you turn it up so I can hear it as I'm doing my housework?" To which I replied, "No problem, this half of Royal Oak is going to hear Major Kong ride that bomb down".

Question? This is intriguing, I'm going to experiment tonight. Is it true that you can get more bass just by simple placement technique in a room for a subwoofer?
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Return to Open Discussion