Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - About the shorts forum

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

About the shorts forum

General talk about any old ting. Let's yak!

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

About the shorts forum

Postby Umday on July 24th, 2005, 12:15 pm

You do a great job chosing the pictures for each short Lunkhead. I was wondering if you are taking the shots off of the DVD's and if you are what program are you using to do it. I quess my ultimate question would be can I pull individual shots off of my piles of VHS tapes?
Umday
Grapehead

Screen captures

Postby Lunkhead on July 24th, 2005, 10:40 pm

Thanks Umday.

Yes, I get the images from DVDs. The pc software I'm using is called PowerDVD. I play the DVD on the pc, pause it, and then capture the picture to a bitmap image file. Some other DVD Player software packages also feature screen capturing, such as Sonic CinePlayer and WinDVD.

Afterward, I use software like Adobe Photoshop to touch up, resize and save the images as JPEG files at lower kilobyte sizes so they load faster from the web. Takes a little bit of practice to balance quality and size, but after a while it gets easier.

It is possible to pull images from VHS tapes, but you need to have a video capture device and its accompanying software. The device can be an internal capture card, but even more common now are external devices which connect via USB. I bought one a couple months ago, with the idea of transferring old video tapes to DVD. Unfortunately, the software didn't work well on my system. It kept freezing, and after spending days trying unsuccessfully to fine tune it, I returned it and the capture device.

Most of my stooge short collection is on VHS too - so when I get to those, I won't be able to post as extensively (picture wise). I hope to remedy that though eventually by getting a stand-alone DVD recorder and transferring the tapes directly through it. Then afterward, I'll still be able to play the DVDs on the pc and continue doing the image captures.

Hope this info helps. If you want to pursue it, I'd suggest gathering all your computer specs. Then, go to BestBuy or CompUSA and tell them what you're looking to accomplish. They should be able to point you to the right stuff for your system.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Return to Open Discussion