Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - OL Episode #2 – The Hundred Days of the Dragon

OL Episode #2 – The Hundred Days of the Dragon

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

OL Episode #2 – The Hundred Days of the Dragon

Postby Lunkenstein on October 23rd, 2005, 12:39 am

Original airdate: September 23, 1963

Having viewed the series during its initial run, the only childhood memory I have of “Dragon” is “Hey, where’s the monster?” After the spectacular “Galaxy Being” debut, I was more than ready to see another cool creature. This ep kinda threw me and I wondered what the series was really going to be like.

In this case, the “bear” is replaced with the ability to reshape flesh through a new molecular plasticity process. The effects hold up well and the close-ups of the deliberate mangling of a human face are still creepy. A funny sidenote: In the Robin Williams film, “Mrs. Doubtfire”, there is a quick scene of his children watching TV. And what they’re viewing is that particular OL face-squishing moment. The little girl murmurs, “That’s the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen.”

The drama itself is well done, and the idea of having our leaders replaced with identical imposters is unsettling – a little twist on the body snatcher theme. A sad coincidence is the fact that JFK was assassinated just 2 months after this episode aired. Sydney Blackmer delivers a good performance as the president, and I especially like the scenes where his facial expressions revert back to the oriental origin. – a nice touch. The theme music by Dominic Frontiere is awesome here. As the series progresses, various musical themes get re-cycled. But in this instance, the main recurring ‘Dragon’ theme is only heard in this ep. A minor sidenote: While watching tonight, I realized that the orchestrated music that the president and his daughter dance to is the exact same music that Eddie Phillips was playing when he decided to crank up the transmitter power in “The Galaxy Being”.

To sum up, even today I feel this is a bit of an oddity for the second ep. It’s a quality production, but it feels more like a spy show than a dark, eerie OL nightmare. When I think of the series as a whole, this one seems out of place. Maybe that’s ok. - Because in the next entry, we get our first serving of the real meat and potatoes.
Last edited by Lunkenstein on November 26th, 2005, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

it's strange

Postby Xenorama on October 23rd, 2005, 11:07 am

this is an unusual entry in the series, but very enjoyable. i never saw it as a kid though. i know i would have been disappointed in it back then without a monster. now i'm glad they did a few really different episodes.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Robert Vaughn's "Double Affair"

Postby Preston on October 23rd, 2005, 2:19 pm

Lunk, interesting COINCIDENCE that you mention "Dragon" as being more appropriate for a Spy show...because around that same time-period was a Spy series called MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. which used just that same idea for its episode entitled "The Double Affair." In that episode, actor Robert Vaughn played a dual role as both his character of Napoleon Solo as well as the plasticized imposter. Although the U.N.C.L.E. series debuted one year after OUTER LIMITS but Robert Vaughn said that they were in the midst of making the film when President Kennedy got assassinated. Out of respect for JFK, they even suspended film-production for a day or two. So whereas the Outer Limits episode was close to the JFK tragedy when the "Dragon" episode was broadcast but the JFK tragedy was close to Robert Vaughn when the Vaughn-episode was in the process of being produced.

Also you mentioned a "Dragon" facial scene appearing briefly in the movie "Mrs. Doubtfire." In that same vein, did you also know that the creature from the Outer Limits episode "O.B.I.T." also made an appearance in a tv-sitcom. I was going to name that series here but I think I should save it for when you introduce the O.B.I.T. thread.
Preston
Mutant

Strange but True plastic surgery

Postby Preston on March 20th, 2008, 7:28 pm

At first,I had intended to post this under my separate "Strange but True" thread but I decided to post it here because it concerns a bizarre plastic surgery which is appropriate for this episode "Hundred Days Of The Dragon." This strange but true news come from China about a man, Zhao Gang, who lost his first wife from a fatal car accident. Now he got married again, and Zhao wants his Second Wife to get plastic surgery to make herself look like the Deceased first wife!! Surprisingly, the Second Wife has agreed to the surgery. But at last report, the Doctor has insisted that the wife and husband both undergo psychiatric evaluation before the surgery. As the doctor said, "plastic surgery is Not a good way to sustain a relationship." If you ask me (i.e.,Preston), it really astonishes me that the 2nd wife agreed to the surgery because I think it would amount to an Insult to the 2nd wife that she has to resemble the First wife. What do you think, Lunk?
Preston
Mutant

Re: OL Episode #2 – The Hundred Days of the Dragon

Postby Lunkenstein on March 21st, 2008, 8:19 pm

it really astonishes me that the 2nd wife agreed to the surgery because I think it would amount to an Insult to the 2nd wife that she has to resemble the First wife. What do you think, Lunk?

I absolutely agree. That is sad for the 2nd wife. She must really love the guy to go that far, but it sure doesn't sound like a healthy situation. Good that the doctor is making them have psychiatric evaluations beforehand. Hopefully, one of them will come to their senses.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Outer Limits