Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - OL Episode #7 – O.B.I.T.

OL Episode #7 – O.B.I.T.

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

OL Episode #7 – O.B.I.T.

Postby Lunkenstein on April 15th, 2006, 11:42 pm

Original Airdate: November 4, 1963

This is one I didn’t care for much as a kid. The monster at the beginning looked so cool, then the story went in an entirely different direction (with way too much talk for a young lad intent on seeing OL bears). I always had trouble getting through it. Actually, it was too adult for me back then. Little did I realize how awesome this entry really is. Of course, when I grew up and got the true gist, this turns out to be one of the greatest OL’s!! Now it’s one of my favorites. It also remains very pertinent with a message that today’s society can relate to.

O.B.I.T. is certainly one of the best written episodes. With intense dialogue and eerie clues, it’s very gripping, even if you figure out who the killer is early. It has similarities to Orwell’s “1984” and “The Prisoner” TV series in regard to how terrible losing our privacy and being under constant surveillance would be. What a unique idea of aliens preparing an invasion by breaking our spirit with such an addictive device. As Byron Lomax, played by the great Jeff Corey, says, “...without even a shot being fired...” Again, thanks to Conrad Hall, we’re treated to great camera angles and lighting. I love the noir feel of some of the scenes. All of the supporting actors, along with Peter Breck and Harry Townes, combine with Jeff Corey in delivering great performances.

And speaking of Jeff Corey, here was a guy blacklisted in the 50’s, who had an influence on many future stars. Unable to find work, he led acting classes and tutored the likes of Leonard Nimoy and Jack Nicholson. Here’s an interesting site devoted to Corey: JeffCorey.com

The finale of this episode is an extremely powerful sequence. It's so good I find myself having to watch it twice each time I view this episode. Jeff Corey is mesmerizing as he reduces our race to a hopeless lot who’ll be too busy watching each other to notice their arrival. It is a great ending, and the control voice almost pleads that it’s up to us whether O.B.I.T will thrive or be thwarted. Fantastic show!

“It’s an addiction.”
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Outer Limits