Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - OL Episode #11 – It Crawled Out of the Woodwork

OL Episode #11 – It Crawled Out of the Woodwork

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

OL Episode #11 – It Crawled Out of the Woodwork

Postby Lunkenstein on September 18th, 2006, 11:59 am

Original Airdate: December 9, 1963

Here we have Steven King’s favorite ep, and a cool one it is. I just love the energy creature effect. It is so malevolent (where did I hear that word before?). This is another famous OL scare story that looks just as good as when it premiered. If only that cleaning lady had taken the night off. A small glob of dust takes life and then proceeds to take lives. The bear is very eerie, with extensions that resemble arms, legs and a head, all protruding from a massive bulk of living electricity. And when it’s on the move, it is really menacing. The story is very good as well, providing feelings of dread and a great villain in Dr. Block played by Kent Smith (“THE CAT PEOPLE”, “CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE” & “THE INVADERS”[TV series]). Look for Kent’s other monstrous role in OL’s “THE CHILDREN OF SPIDER COUNTY”. Michael Forrest (“THE BEAST FROM THE HAUNTED CAVE” & original “STAR TREK” as ‘Apollo’) is Professor Stuart Peters, the poor chap who has to die twice. Also in the cast are Barbara Luna (original “STAR TREK” ep ‘Mirror, Mirror’), a pre-Lou Grant Ed Asner with hair, and Scott Marlowe (OL ep “THE FORM OF THINGS UNKNOWN”) as Stu’s baby brother Jory.

There are many creepy scenes, as when Joan Camden (Professor Linden) prompts victims to go into the hallway leading to the pit. Ed Asner’s face is priceless as he gazes upon the creature beyond the next door. Another scene that still makes me jump is when Jory is talking about his older brother and their strained relationship. He then says something like, “But I know everything’s ok as soon as I see that smile...” Then suddenly, the scene switches and grills you with a booming close-up Stu’s contorted, dead face and hand. The editing and use of shock music right there is a great piece of work. As are many other photographic effects, like the montage of faces in the creature at the very end, and the shot of Kent Smith’s icy hand, as he says his peace.

I always remember how Stu’s death in the bathtub scared me as a kid. (Another good reason to put off bathing). OL had many scary entries, and this one surely ranks up there with the best. Besides inspiring you not to bath, it also makes a case for not dusting very often.

“GO?” ~ Doc Block
Last edited by Lunkenstein on November 6th, 2006, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

a great one

Postby Xenorama on October 1st, 2006, 1:16 am

my mom scared me when i was a kid, telling me about this episode. it's just well done.

this is an episode you KNOW some idiot wants to add "better cg" effects to nowadays.

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on October 1st, 2006, 1:12 pm

this is an episode you KNOW some idiot wants to add "better cg" effects to nowadays.

And that's sad. I know the original STAR TREK series has been tampered with. Why? So some 16-year-old won't burst into laughter at special effects that are now considered outdated? My 13-year-old daughter watched IT CRAWLED OUT OF THE WOODWORK with me and thought the energy creature looked cool. She also asked how they did it. If it were redone today, she wouldn't have to ask. She'd know it was just CGI. My kids actually find many of the older films and shows scarier because they don't know how things were shot. THE HAUNTING (1963) is an example of one they find truly terrifying - where much is left to the imagination. I've exposed my kids early to the films and shows I grew up with and they enjoy them a lot. I'm grateful for that, but I realize this is not the norm today. I think early exposure may be a key. But if a teenager today who's been bred on '90s+ effects is shown something older for the first time, their reaction can be either laughter or a put down. It's a shame, because if they looked closer, there are many old films and shows they could enjoy if watched in the proper perspective.

I think the tendency to update old films and shows is wrong and I fear other series will find themselves in the eventual mix. With STAR TREK, I've read they not only redid the effects, but some of the music as well! Now that is sacrilege! They should just concentrate on restoring them to the best possible original state. That's what we fans really want.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Outer Limits