Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - OL Episode #13 – Tourist Attraction

OL Episode #13 – Tourist Attraction

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

OL Episode #13 – Tourist Attraction

Postby Lunkenstein on November 15th, 2006, 11:17 pm

Original Airdate: December 23, 1963

This ep features the cool looking sea monsters known as Ichthyosaurus Mercurius – try saying that backwards while bouncing on a pogo stick! They are memorable OL bears, and I really liked this episode as a kid. I saw it shortly before seeing “THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON” series for the first time, and some of the opening underwater scenes are reminiscent of the films. However, take note and harken. You are about to read my first negative comments on an OL entry. The story and tyrant subplot are pretty weak, and I have a real problem with the main character, John Dexter (played by Ralph Meeker). He is soooooo unlikable, and in just about every scene where he’s not on the boat or in the water, he’s got that silly captain’s hat on. I just want to reach through the screen and bat it off!! Actually, there aren’t any human characters in this ep that are very likable (well maybe the poor cleaning guy who has to guard the beastie). In fact, I usually find myself rooting for Henry Silva’s General Juan Mercurio – and he’s supposed to be the bad guy. The creatures are definitely the most likable characters, and the only reason to watch this ep.

And now the good comments: I still find the creature effects very effective, particularly when they’re on land. Neat how they use sound to bust through doors and dams. The captured beastie looks very real and alive when it’s lying on the table, blinking an eyelid. – My son even commented on how good that looked (way better than CGI he said). My two favorite scenes are the captured creature un-thawing and searing the door, and his rescue by his finned buddies at the climax. The creature’s eyes and face have a gentle appeal somewhat similar to the Thetan from “ARCHITECTS OF FEAR”, and have that OL touch.

Summing up, despite the bad points, the ep is still worth a look for Ichthyosaurus Mercurius, if nothing else.

Gee, they weren’t really this big, were they??
Last edited by Lunkenstein on November 22nd, 2006, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

love it

Postby Xenorama on November 16th, 2006, 1:29 pm

i know it's regarded as a weak entry, but i saw it RIGHT before THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (each for the first time, i think Channel 2 did that on purpose) and i thought it was great.

so while i see the defects in the episode, i still just love it. i'd love a little figure of the fish, too!

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on November 16th, 2006, 9:05 pm

That was a good idea showing this and CREATURE back to back. I really do like the creatures themselves. Very well designed and they make you feel sympathy for them, especially the captured one. I think this was the most expensive OL to make from what I read. It's a shame there isn't a human character to really root for. I think that would have helped the story. Dexter does have a revelation at the very end, but by then it's too late for me to care about him. As you say, the episode is still cool thanks to the creatures themselves and I also have fond memories of seeing it long ago. After this recent viewing, I regard the episode higher than my review above suggests. I wrote that back in 2002 for the Xenorama reviews we were doing.
i'd love a little figure of the fish, too!

I think it was available as a collectable toy a couple years back. They had several OL figures and creatures, but were pretty expensive from what I remember.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Outer Limits