Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - OL Episode #14 – The Zanti Misfits

OL Episode #14 – The Zanti Misfits

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

Postby Lunkenstein on November 22nd, 2006, 2:20 pm

Original Airdate: December 30, 1963

Truly classic OL this time round. What a great 9th birthday present this was for me back in ‘63. Another of my favorite eps with some of the creepiest OL creations ever! The wonderful, stop-motion alien ants with human faces (some even with side-burns!). ZANTIS is a fan fav of many OL addicts, though it does have its critics as well. Besides the boffo title characters, the story, characters and dialogue again are superb. OL seems to soar artistically, sometimes unexpectedly, even when just the monsters would be enough reason to watch.

THE PLOT: The rulers of the planet Zanti, unable to dispose of their worst criminals, decide to exile them on Earth. We’re not exactly able to just say no, so the deal is set to let them land in the desert and to be quarantined from civilization. However, an unexpected psychopath happens upon their ship and really botches things, or does he? I really enjoy the ending twist. Kind of a ‘we gotchya, didn’t we?’

THE CHARACTERS: Zantis, Zantis, and more Zantis. The humans: Bruce Dern is great in an early psycho role as Ben Garth – “Pick up the money!” Michael Tolen is also quite good as Professor Grave, the historian sent to the ghost town of Morgue to record the events (love the bit of him flicking a tiny ant at the beginning). Also deserving mention are Robert F. Simon as General Hart (“We’ve let loose the dogs of war”), Claude Woolman as Major Hill, Olive Deering as Lisa Lawrence, and Bill Hart as Corporal Delano.

THE EFFECTS: The cool stop motion nasties were created by Jim Danforth, who also was one of the main animators of “JACK THE GIANT KILLER”. The animated ZANTIS hold up really well IMO. The ant up the pant-leg and soldier covered with attacking Zantis really scared the heck outta me as a kid. – Really creepy, especially for those with insect induced fears. The couple scenes of the ants coming down the wall near the end are mercifully quick, as they don’t hold up too well. It’s easy to tell they’re on strings, and it’s a shame they couldn’t have used stop motion for those scenes. But then again, at least the shots are quick. – The only spot where the effects are a bit lacking now and an easy target for critics.

THE ZANTIS: They’ve stood the test of time for 40 years now, and remain one of the most remembered monsters in TV history. They are included in a new set of OL collectible toys, which can be found all over the net. Man, if I only had the bucks, they’d be glaring at me from a top my computer desk right now!

Summing up, I love this episode and can watch it over and over. It’s very well written with some great dialogue ala, “If anyone gets through, it’ll be over someone’s dead body...” & “You are practiced executioners.”

“Lans trinzini lobo zan a mang lis lanz ob!”

Listen to the Zanti’s warning here => Zanti.wav
Last edited by Lunkenstein on December 1st, 2006, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

i never saw

Postby Xenorama on November 23rd, 2006, 12:49 pm

i never saw this one growing up, for whatever reasons. probably for the best, since i don't care for spiders and these look like spiders with faces. still scary after all these years!

that ending, when you realize the planet was played, great stuff.

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Re: OL Episode #14 – The Zanti Misfits

Postby woodworks on June 8th, 2011, 1:06 pm

Can I post here????:)
My fave little critters....still give me the chills at age 53!!!!:):):):)

By blackglove at 2011-06-07
By blackglove at 2010-12-22
woodworks
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkenstein on June 30th, 2011, 7:56 pm

Huge OL fan here and the Zantis are classic stuff of nightmares - the sound they make is unforgettable.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby woodworks on July 1st, 2011, 3:40 am

Who can forget the Control Voice at the beginning of each episode....memorable :):):)

Each show would begin with either a cold open or a preview clip, followed by narration by someone identifying himself as the Control Voice, which was played over visuals of an oscilloscope. The earlier and longer version of the narration ran as follows.

“ There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits.
— Opening narration – The Control Voice – 1960s

By blackglove at 2010-12-22
woodworks
Pumpkinbrain

Return to The Outer Limits