OL Episode #17 – Don’t Open Till Doomsday

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

OL Episode #17 – Don’t Open Till Doomsday

Postby Lunkenstein on February 7th, 2007, 12:03 pm

Original Airdate: January 20, 1964

In the box, no one can hear you scream. (Can’t take credit for that – my son came up with it).

Man I love this series. Another well remembered episode about the nasty monster in a box – actually a wedding present, how thoughtful!! David Frankham (“NIGHTMARE”) is the doomed groom from 1929. And Miriam Hopkins is great as Mrs. Kry, his aging bride gone mad. I enjoy her more and more with each viewing. The performance has a kind of “WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE” feel to it. A descent into mental illness propelled by an obsession to regain her lost love. The bear seems to get ripped by reviewers today, but I think it’s a great lookin’ thing – a one-eyed globby with a chromoite-type voice and lots of time on its hand, er extension.

I really like Conrad Hall’s dark photography in and around the creepy old house, and the dialogue again has lots of biting moments – “Stairs can be so treacherous...”, etc. This one also features cool ragtime music, which I believe was contributed by fellow OL composer Roger Van Eps, in addition to the great Dominic Frontiere themes. This was another ep that gave me the creeps as a kid. Just the thought of a small, evil creature in an ordinary box was enough to get me. And the fundamental component helped complete the nightmare.

“Doomsday is knocking at my door.”
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Outer Limits