Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - OL Episode #19 – The Invisibles

OL Episode #19 – The Invisibles

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

OL Episode #19 – The Invisibles

Postby Lunkenstein on March 31st, 2007, 7:06 pm

Original Airdate: February 3, 1964

Another on the list of OL's finest episodes, this one often gets overlooked. THE INVISIBLES is an extremely well-written, well-acted, dark offering of spy counter-twists and alien paranoia. Don Gordon is excellent as Luis Spain, who along with two other outcasts, looks to join a secret society known as 'The Invisibles'. The organization is bent on world conquest by making top government officials and other VIPs hosts for alien entities. There are several eerie moments early, as we see the means and occasional, tragic results of alien attachment.

The pacing, dialogue and editing are superb and really hold your interest. Plus the supporting cast is great. George MacReady, as the head of 'The Invisibles', is a stand-out. Neil Hamilton (TV’s “BATMAN”), Richard Dawson (“HOGAN’S HEROES”, “FAMILY FEUD”), Walter Burke (“JACK THE GIANT KILLER”) and Tony Mordente also provide great input and moments as well.

The Control Voice has top material here, and even gets a comic moment during the opening intro. The beginning also has one of my favorite OL quotes – about the wind, the gutter and newspapers. This episode is another example of great black and white television from the '60s with a noir look. Fans of THE X-FILES would definitely enjoy this and note its influence. Not to be missed.

You do not know these men. You may have looked at them but you did not see them. They are the wind that blows newspapers down a gutter on a windy night...and sweeps the gutter clean.” ~ Control Voice
Last edited by Lunkenstein on May 13th, 2007, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

great

Postby Xenorama on March 31st, 2007, 8:02 pm

this really is a great episode, the creepy crawlies... ugh. i hope there are no "tools" in marketing that think the 'bears' should be replaced by slimy cg aliens.

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on March 31st, 2007, 8:47 pm

I hope not either David, and I don't support what they're doing to the original STAR TREK (even if it is by fans or even if Roddenberry would approve if he were still alive). I agree with your philosophy - these should be part of the ages. Why can't the marketing people just give us the best quality possible while leaving the original shows intact?

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Afa Dollah on April 1st, 2007, 12:16 pm

What are they doing to the Star Treks? I haven't heard anything about this, whatever it is. What's the 4-1-1, dog?
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Re: STAR TREK revisions

Postby Lunkenstein on April 1st, 2007, 1:38 pm

Afa, they're re-doing the original STAR TREK episodes by digitally replacing most of the original special effects with new CGI ones, such as the Enterprise itself, planets they orbit, the Doomsday Machine, etc. They've also tampered with the original music in spots I believe. The new CW network is running them at various times (I've seen it 11:00am Sundays in my area). TV Land is still currently showing the unaltered originals (late night and early morning I think).

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Afa Dollah on April 1st, 2007, 2:28 pm

Outrageous. I don't understand the point of doing this. You could CGI all the effects in the Ray Harryhausen movies too, but what about the work of the original effects artists? Is that supposed to be lost just because someone can create those effects on a computer? Whoever came up with this idea is a pantsload. I suppose they'll CGI the orange shag rug creature from DEVIL IN THE DARK and the salt sucking monster from THE MAN TRAP as well.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkenstein on April 1st, 2007, 3:23 pm

I think it's terrible too. Pretty sure the Doomsday Machine itself was totally replaced. I saw part of DEVIL IN THE DARK and they didn't completely replace the shag rug creature, but they added sparkle effects on to it. I heard they did something similar with the Gorn in ARENA, not replacing it entirely, but adding things like having him blink, etc. It's still wrong and a dangerous trend. If it's successful, nothing will be off-limits - even the finger marks on Kong's fur.

As you can tell by my current sig, I've really come to hate CGI. I think it's causing more harm than good in move making today, and to use it to re-tool classics is sacrilege to me.
what about the work of the original effects artists?

Some fans who are supporting the STAR TREK revisions now note the old effects as looking crappy and cheesy. Sad, isn't it? It's particularly a crime thinking about the original effects artists - to have someone come in and say, "Hey, that looks awful. We'll fix it and put this kick-ass effect in." The original work is then totally lost. The argument that the originals will always still be available isn't necessarily a given. When colorization was rampant in the '80s, some of the B&W versions were much more difficult to find.
Last edited by Lunkenstein on April 1st, 2007, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

not fans

Postby Xenorama on April 1st, 2007, 3:43 pm

those aren't fans- how can they call themselves that if effects that have been fine for over 40 years are now old and passe`?

i also think it's a huge marketing ploy, to separate more ST Nerds from their money, since you know they have three DVD sets already and will no doubt buy up the new ones once they are released.

sheep.

David (feeling cynical at almost 42 years)
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on April 1st, 2007, 3:46 pm

Yep, I'm sure money is a big factor for doing this as well.
Last edited by Lunkenstein on April 1st, 2007, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Lunkenstein on April 1st, 2007, 3:50 pm

Wish I had the bucks to buy the original sets before they go out of print. Look how George Lucas tried to act like the original STAR WARS trilogy didn't exist. That's what I fear here.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Outer Limits