Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - New Outer Limits CD set

New Outer Limits CD set

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

New Outer Limits CD set

Postby Lunkenstein on June 13th, 2008, 9:13 pm

I've loved the themes from the series since I first heard them at age 8. There is a new limited edition (only 3000 copies) 3 CD set of OL music available now from LA LA LAND RECORDS. Here is the link => http://www.lalalandrecords.com/OuterLimits.html
I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and it arrived today. I'm listening to it right now. It's fantastic! Some of my favorite music ever.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Re: New Outer Limits CD set

Postby Preston on June 14th, 2008, 8:24 pm

It will interest you to know, Lunk, that in the last few episodes of Outer Limts that they used music composed by HARRY LUBIN for the earlier TV-series ONE STEP BEYOND. The piece that is most noticeable to me can be heard from the OL episode COUNTERWEIGHT. If you have COUNTERWEIGHT, if you listen carefully, you can recognize the music in the background for one of the scenes. You can tell it's from ONE STEP BEYOND because that music's MOOD distinctly differs from OL's main composer DOMINIC FRONTIERE---that is,DOMINIC's style was more on the majestic side whereas HARRY LUBIN's style combined both eerieness and melancholy. Yes, melancholy connotes sadness but it's Not sadness in the usual sense but rather melancholy in the eerie sense.
Preston
Mutant

Re: New Outer Limits CD set

Postby Lunkenstein on June 15th, 2008, 10:52 am

I always felt Harry Lubin's closing theme for OL's second season sounded very similar to ONE STEP BEYOND (with some variations). He did a nice job on season 2 and created some memorable themes within the episodes, but I far prefer Dominic Frontiere's scores from season 1. However, It's nice having both, as the their work is so different (as are the overall look of the seasons with the different crews).

As for COUNTERWEIGHT, it seemed to be strangely missing during the many syndicated runs in my area (late '60s/early '70s). I may have seen it when it originally aired (I always tried to never miss an OL!), but it wasn't until the DVDs were released that I got to see it again. I think I remember what you're saying about the music in that episode. I'll check it out the next time I watch it.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Outer Limits