Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - (Outer Limits) Don't Open Til Doomsday

(Outer Limits) Don't Open Til Doomsday

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

Postby Preston on August 9th, 2005, 3:23 pm

I've been an OUTER LIMITS fan ever since the 1960s when the series premiered. I had already posted on the XENORAMA site about several episodes such as THE MUTANT and THE ZANTI MISFITS. Have you read those posts? Because, as I recall, You responded to ONLY one of those posts, that is, the episode THE GUESTS. Anyway, now I register at your site ever since I realize that You are a die-hard fan of the series.

One of the episodes which really perplexes me is DON'T OPEN TIL DOOMSDAY. If I'm not mistaken, the BOX that the alien occupies is his SPACESHIP. Then how is it that he is Trapped in it?
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkenstein on August 9th, 2005, 11:34 pm

Hi Preston. Welcome. Glad to have you here.

I too have loved OUTER LIMITS since it first aired in '63. Being 8 years old at the time, it made an indelible impression on me. It remains my favorite series (tied with Patrick McGoohan's THE PRISONER).

I did see your posts at the new XENORAMA board, but didn't get around to replying. Sorry, will have to look at those again.

At the old XENORAMA EzBoard (about 2 or 3 years back), we went through the entire first season of OL in weekly reviews and discussions. Sadly, the old board had all it's posts deleted due to a hacker and could not be restored because of stupid EzBoard's lack of backups. I found, however, that I still have a lot of the original write-ups saved in Word documents. We might look at going through the original series again. This time, both Seasons 1 and 2.
One of the episodes which really perplexes me is DON'T OPEN TIL DOOMSDAY. If I'm not mistaken, the BOX that the alien occupies is his SPACESHIP. Then how is it that he is Trapped in it?

Just my opinion, but the alien said he was supposed to link with 2 fellow aliens who also landed on Earth. The problem was he lost his way during the journey and became separated from them. I don't think he was actually trapped in the box (his ship), though I'm not certain he could survive in our atmosphere. He mentioned the need to join with the others to achieve their goal (unfortunately for us it was our annihilation). Without them, his power was at best limited, and perhaps the ship might even have been damaged, therefore needing outside help. After trapping people in the box, he then offered them release in return for helping him find the other aliens.

OUTER LIMITS often left a lot to speculation, which is one of the things I love about the episodes.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

great show

Postby Xenorama on August 12th, 2005, 8:28 pm

it's such a good show. i still need the second series, but the price for 17 episodes is kind of offputting. i should check some resellers.

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Season 2

Postby Lunkenstein on August 13th, 2005, 3:24 pm

I got Season 2 when it came out. They could have lowered the price a bit or at least have a couple cool extras. It's bare-bones but still worth having. Just checked Deep Discount DVD's price and it's currently $34.32. Not bad, considering I paid about $52.00.

Megs, speaking of Season 2, there's an episode called "COUNTERWEIGHT" which I did not recall seeing before. I watched both seasons when they originally aired in the '60s, but could have missed it then. I also watched both seasons dozens of times in syndication during the '70s and knew each episode by heart. Maybe the episode was missing from that particular syndicated package. Was cool seeing it. Even had some stop-motion effects.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

cool

Postby Xenorama on August 13th, 2005, 4:03 pm

well, there's one place, i may try half.com as well. i'll get it some day.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

caught outside time\

Postby vincent on June 8th, 2006, 3:21 pm

i dont remember what the title of this outer limits episode was, but it is the one i always remember, even though i havent seen an outer limits episode in years\it is the one where a husband & wife are caught outside of time, when the mans jet plane goes so fast it breaks the time barrier, or something, & the wife is caught up in it when she drives her car nearby\they save their childs life, who was about to die in a car accident, & barely manage to get back to normal time themselves\it is this very human viewpoint of the outer limits that makes many of the episodes very memorable\
life is a jest, & all things show it\i thought so once, but now i know it\john gay\my own epitaph\1720\(nyuk, nyuk, nyuk)\
vincent
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkenstein on June 10th, 2006, 12:48 pm

Wow Vincent, you're an OUTER LIMITS fan too! That is great. The original OUTER LIMITS and Patrick McGoohan's THE PRISONER are my 2 all time favorite TV series.

The episode you mentioned is from OL Season 2 called "THE PREMONITION". A very good entry, and I agree that the human element of the series was one of the things that made it so great. Some of them are extremely moving.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

beachballs, & so forth\

Postby vincent on June 10th, 2006, 3:02 pm

i am very into the prisoner, lately\the fascinating thing about the prisoner is its ability to defy analysis\its like reality, no matter how well you think you understand it, to quote the bard, there are more things in heaven & earth than are dreampt of in your philosophy\i found a website (i hope it is ok to mention it here): http://www.oddball-mall.com/the-prisoner/index.php \there is a forum, where you can say whatever you like about it, like what that big white beachball is doing there\i am now trying to explain the events in terms of tibetan buddhist philosophy - i am sure i will fall on my ass, but its an interesting attempt\ :larry4:
life is a jest, & all things show it\i thought so once, but now i know it\john gay\my own epitaph\1720\(nyuk, nyuk, nyuk)\
vincent
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkenstein on June 11th, 2006, 12:37 pm

Sure it's fine to mention the forum. I'll join it if I ever get more time. I'm already involved with about 5 message board/newsgroups currently, so it gets tough to keep up with everything.

Man, I can't believe you're a PRISONER fan too! I've loved that series since 1968. In the near future, I intend to rewatch it and will post episode reviews where we can discuss them. Be Seeing You!

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Outer Limits