Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - (Outer Limits) Counterweight

(Outer Limits) Counterweight

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

Postby Preston on August 13th, 2005, 7:57 pm

Now that Lunk briefly mentioned COUNTERWEIGHT, I thought that I would introduce it in a separate thread of its own. Although I enjoy this episode, it disappoints me that the stop-motion fx appear at Only the ending. Because for 95% of the story, the alien entity is shown as a very poorly-done and Unconvincing fx which consists of just a jagged line! It's just as bad as watching those old films from the 1940s which have those annoying SPECKS which appear sporadically on screen. And we are supposed to believe that the crude jagged line is an alien entity.

But maybe we should forgive that inattention and neglect because, well, remember, during the second season the Outer Limits crew got word that the series would be axed. That could also lead us to discuss how other 2nd-season episodes were hurt as a result of the announcement. Because in those episodes I've noticed some bloopers that Stefano did Not bother to edit out. But I'll save that for another thread when I discuss the episodes in question.

As compared with the crude depiction of the alien in COUNTERWEIGHT, it should be noted that I don't mind at all the crudeness of the Spaceship as shown in THE ZANTI MISFITS as that Spaceship descends from a cloud. That's because the Spaceship is shown for only a brief moment and is just the prelude for the dramatic events to follow. What I like about that ZANTI scene is that sweeping camera-work. By that,I mean that after the camera shows Ben Garth's car barrelling at full-speed through the desert, then the camera SWEEPS upward MAJESTICALLY to first show an empty sky and then the sudden appearance of the spaceship. This is a good example where the camera-work is even more impressive than the spfx.

Back to COUNTERWEIGHT, how about the actors? Well, there are both pluses and minuses. The plus part is Actor MICHAEL CONSTANTINE as construction foreman Joe Dix. At first, he scoffs laughingly at the mysterious occurrences, so it's fun to see him later on when he gradually realizes the gravity of the situation.

As for the minus-side, it would be Actress JACQUELINE SCOTT as Alicia Hendrix. I think she goes way too much over-the-top. I realize that the alien entity has brought Alicia's HIDDEN emotions to the surface. But even so, I get the impression that Actress Jacqueline maybe prepared and rehearsed for the role by viewing clips of Marilyn Monroe and Mae West and then did her own imitation of them! Because, let's face it, that CHAIN-TWIRLING scene that Jacqueline does is too hammy. But to be fair to JACQUELINE SCOTT, she did an Excellent job in her role in the episode THE GALAXY BEING. In fact, when I saw her in COUNTERWEIGHT, I did Not recognize her at first!

Overall, a passable episode but Nowhere near the quality of superior episodes such as THE GUESTS. The reason I compare it with GUESTS is because both episodes centered more on the humans than on the alien. But GUESTS is a much superior episode because the director and camera-work focused on evoking MOOD and atmosphere in a gothic setting.

Well, Lunk, I hope I was Not too harsh on the episode CW. Remember, I really LOVE the Outer Limits, as much as you do. But even a diehard fan such as myself has to point out what disappointed him. Just my opinion, and I'm sure we can all respect differences in tastes.
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkenstein on August 30th, 2005, 10:05 pm

Wow Preston, that's a really nice write-up. I basically agree on all points. The light effect was weak. You really have to reach to believe it's an alien entity. The stop motion toward the end was much more satisfying. A shame there was not more of it, because that could have elevated the ep to more classic status. But as you said, the budgets were much lower at this point in the series.

I'd seen every other episode when they originally aired and dozens of times in syndication, but Counterweight did not ring a bell . It's possible it was excluded from those packages for whatever reason. Not sure if I saw it way back in 1965, so it was very interesting to watch for what may have been the first time.

There are many great aspects to THE OUTER LIMITS and the work of cinematographer Conrad Hall is one of them. His use of light and dark, the hazy images and camera movement are pure genius. It's amazing to see what was accomplished on meager budgets, thanks to the creativity of all involved.

THE OUTER LIMITS and THE PRISONER are my 2 favorite series of all time. I'm considering watching them both again and posting reviews.

Thanks for your input Preston. Would you be interested in going through the eps in order on a semi-regular basis? I'm definitely getting in an OL mood.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Preston on August 31st, 2005, 7:50 pm

Thanks for the compliment, Lunk, I always try to put my heart and soul into reviews of the Outer Limits. Sure, I would enjoy discussing the episodes on a sem-regular basis as you suggested. We should cover every episode, even the ones that disappointed.

In your reviews which were wiped out by the hack-attack, did you also cover the 2nd season? Because, for some reason, I can recall posts of Only the 1st season. But maybe it's due to my sometimes-faulty memory.

But in case you did Not cover the 2nd season yet, I'd like to start the ball rolling by covering that season. Keep in mind, though, that those episodes were NOT as good as the first season.

Whenever I review a TV-series, I feel it's only fair to give a BALANCE. By that, I mean to show both the admirable side as well as its shortcomings. Because every series has both its pluses and minuses, even in a masterpiece such as the Outer Limits.
Preston
Mutant

OL Season 2

Postby Lunkenstein on August 31st, 2005, 8:09 pm

YW Preston.
But in case you did Not cover the 2nd season yet, I'd like to start the ball rolling by covering that season.

Sure, we could do that. At the old XENORAMA board, we did the first season only. Would reviewing an ep every couple weeks or so be ok? Feel free to start when you're ready, and I'll try to keep up. Also, I can screen capture images from the shows to add to the threads as we go along.
Thanks again for your interest. Nice talkin with another OL addict.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Preston on September 3rd, 2005, 7:05 pm

To Lunk: For the Second season, I would have wanted to discuss "Behold Eck," but the problem is that I had ALREADY done a detailed review of it for the Xenorama board. In that review, I dissected the episode quite thoroughly as far as the scientific geometry of a two-dimensional being. Everything I could say about that episode was already covered thoroughly in that Xenorama post. I don't know whether or not it's acceptable to insert a link to that, otherwise Megs might object to it.

As for other episodes from the 2nd season, some of them are very difficult for me to find things to comment on. In the case of the COUNTERWEIGHT review I posted for you, it was a freak-occurrence, in that it even astonished me that I could find so many things to say about that episode!

So, on second thought, Lunk, I thought that instead of tackling it episode-by-episode chronologically, I prefer a SPONTANEOUS approach, that is, I will introduce some random threads which cover certain aspects. I feel that taking this spontaneous approach is more entertaining than doing it systematically. After all, we are NOT writing a college thesis but rather doing it for fun. So what I'm thinking of doing is introducing random threads which cover certain aspects, for example, one thread for just the Sound-effects, etc. Because for me, it's not just the visuals but also the unique sounds which made the Outer Limits leave an indelible impression on me.
Preston
Mutant

OL posts

Postby Lunkenstein on September 4th, 2005, 10:02 pm

That's cool Preston. Any way or time you feel like posting about em is fine. I actually watched Season 2 within the last year. Thinking about starting over with Season 1 as far as viewing. We can post/reply without a specific format - no problem. Whatever is fun at the moment. :happy1:
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Outer Limits