Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - the Outer Limits use of Sound-effects

the Outer Limits use of Sound-effects

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

the Outer Limits use of Sound-effects

Postby Preston on September 5th, 2005, 6:12 pm

One of the facets of the Outer Limits which made the series leave an indelible impression on me is its use of Sound effects. One of those which stand out for me is the Sound effect from the episode "O.B.I.T." (acronym for Outer Band Individuated Teletracer). It's when the human-monitor turns on that surveillance-machine and is surprised to see that the machine is probing beyond its normal range. At that point, the Alien-monster comes into view on the screen. Throughout this brief sequence runs a very Unearthly sound which I can only describe as an electronic whine. The whine also "bends" at intervals as though it's warped, which adds to the already-eerie sound. Maybe Lunk could insert that actual sound into this thread, if it's possible.

That was one of the unique sounds -- there are many others. What eerie sounds do you remember, Lunk?

While I'm at it, now that I mentioned the O.b.i.t. episode, I should discuss the episode itself. Lunk once said that he does Not have the Book which covers behind-the-scenes, but I have that book, so will garner some tidbits from it to post here. In this case, it has to do with the Alien's single cyclopean eye which is situated in the center of his forehead. You would think that the make-up uses a fake eyeball, but the data explains that the ACTOR had to turn his face somewhat SIDEWAYS in order to make HIS own eye appear in the center of the prosthetic make-up. That's why the cyclops eye looks so realistic -- it's because it's a REAL eye!

That eyeball also reminds me of an episode from THE TWILIGHT ZONE where that time instead of a Single eye, the Alien had Three. At first, the special effects artists had experimented with using a "superimposed" image of an actual eye. But evidently that did Not satisfy Rod Serling, so they ended up using the Fake eyeball, which really looks fake to me! Serling could Not have used the OUTER LIMITS method because the Serling version had THREE eyeballs instead of cyclopean, so the "head-turning" would Not have worked in that case.
Preston
Mutant

OL Sound FX

Postby Lunkenstein on September 11th, 2005, 10:04 pm

Preston, I'll get back to you shortly about this and will try to post that sound and pic.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

OL sound fx

Postby Lunkenstein on September 17th, 2005, 10:02 pm

What eerie sounds do you remember, Lunk?

There are so many, but what comes to mind immediately is the sound of THE ZANTI MISFITS. It's so alien and really gets under your skin. It still upsets my wife to this day if I do an impression of it (which usually results in me getting a slap) :laugh1:

The sounds of the Chromoite from THE MICE always gave me the willies too. Those crackly claws and creepy mumbling/buzzing sound are scary.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

O.B.I.T. alien

Postby Lunkenstein on September 17th, 2005, 10:15 pm

Nice info on the eye there Preston. Helps make this a great-looking bear.

P.S. I'll add the audio sound you mentioned ASAP.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

O.B.I.T. audio

Postby Lunkenstein on September 18th, 2005, 5:47 pm

Guys, here's an audio clip of the sound from the scene Preston described from O.B.I.T. => http://lunkenstein.lunkhead.net/audio/obit2.wav
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Sound fx from CHILDREN OF SPIDER COUNTY

Postby Preston on September 20th, 2005, 3:12 pm

Thanks for that audio, Lunk. Love it, love it!!
Now onto another audio fx from one of my top-ten favorite episodes, namely CHILDREN OF SPIDER COUNTY. I'm still trying to get verification on this. It has to do with the Sound fx for the Alien's eye-beam. Remember the scene where those deputies in the car were transporting ETHAN WESCHLER? The car was waylaid and intercepted by the Alien who used his eye-beam on the deputies. You see, when I used to attend a local sci-fi club back during the 1970s, one of the other attendees told me that the sound fx for the eye-beam was borrowed from the MARTIAN heat-ray from WAR OF THE WORLDS (version made in 1953). But the thing is that I don't know for sure whether he said the audio was actually borrowed or whether it just REMINDED him of the Martian sound. At the moment, I don't have any video of WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953), so I cannot make a side-by-side comparison. But maybe YOU do, Lunk. If so, it would be certainly interesting if you could post BOTH sounds in the thread, so we can compare.

The big difference between WAR OF THE WORLDS and CHILDREN OF SPIDER COUNTY is that in the Outer Limits ep, the sound fx comes from the creature himself whereas in the Martian movie,the sound fx comes from a machine. So I would think that the Martian-Machine's sound would be much more powerful. Just my opinion, though. Because maybe Joseph Stefano wanted such a sound for the O-L alien in order to emphasize its ruthlessness.
Preston
Mutant

OL sounds

Postby Lunkenstein on September 23rd, 2005, 6:45 pm

You're welcome Preston.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As far as the WAR OF THE WORLDS / CHILDREN OF SPIDER COUNTY ray sounds, I'm fairly certain they are the exact same sound effect. I'll link them to this thread when I can for comparison.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

War of the Spider Counties

Postby Lunkenstein on November 26th, 2005, 11:19 pm

Ah Preston. Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Here are comparisons of the ray sound effect:

First, from the OL episode, THE CHILDREN OF SPIDER COUNTY:
http://lunkenstein.lunkhead.net/limits/spider_county2.wav

And here are several from THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953):
http://lunkenstein.lunkhead.net/limits/the_war_of_the_worlds_heat_ray.wav
http://lunkenstein.lunkhead.net/limits/the_war_of_the_worlds_heat_ray_church.wav
http://lunkenstein.lunkhead.net/limits/the_war_of_the_worlds_heat_ray_delayed.wav

As you can hear, it is the same heat ray effect.

Another connection is that Byron Haskin directed both WAR OF THE WORLDS and several episodes of OL, such as THE ARCHITECTS OF FEAR & DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Outer Limits