The Prisoner threads (please read first before the eps)

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

The Prisoner threads (please read first before the eps)

Postby Lunkenstein on July 2nd, 2006, 12:31 pm

Patrick McGoohan's TV series from the late '60s, THE PRISONER, is truly something special. It has gathered a massive cult following through the years, while still remaining unfamiliar in general circles. Similar to the song, SECRET AGENT MAN, the average person can hum it, but probably thinks it came from AUSTIN POWERS or some Disney TV movie. SECRET AGENT/DANGER MAN was McGoohan's earlier series where he played John Drake, a special agent for the British authorities. A great show in its own right, it has become somewhat forgotten outside of its loyal fan base due to not being shown on TV in many years.

McGoohan followed up SECRET AGENT with his classic PRISONER series which has been studied and debated by fans all over the world. The main premise concerns a top agent who suddenly quits his job. (McGoohan swears it's not John Drake, but they sure are similar characters.) He is knocked out and kidnapped from his home and wakes up in a beautiful, but strange little town, simply called The Village. There are others there who also had special careers or knowledge. No names are used - everyone is assigned a number instead. People are tortured in order to extract special government and personal information from them. And there is no escape. Those who try are brought back or killed by a menacing guard device known as Rover, a huge white, growling ball. The Village is determined to break this new Number 6 [McGoohan], and he's just as anxious to find out who's running the place and how he can escape.

I first got into THE PRISONER during the initial airings on CBS. It was shown as a summer replacement for The Jackie Gleason Show on Saturday nights in 1968. I saw one or two episodes that year, but when they replayed it in 1969, I really got hooked. I've since watched it in syndication and videotape many times. Now I own the complete DVD set. It is my favorite series - yes, I know - I say that about the OUTER LIMITS too. I just can't pick between them.

I've just starting rewatching the show again, and will be posting threads on each episode. If you've seen the series and want to chime in discussing the episodes, please do. If you've never seen it, I highly recommend it. BE FOREWARNED: There are lots of hidden meanings and the overall point of the series is revealed in the final episode. When discussing the show, the big secret always comes up. I can't ask anyone not to mention that as it's an essential, but if you've never seen the show you might want to watch it before reading these threads, else the biggie will most likely get spoiled for you.

NOTE: I will be posting these in the original broadcast order and not the fan-determined order of the DVDs. Sorry, but I much prefer the original order.

Be seeing you!
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Prisoner Episode Order

Postby Lunkenstein on December 1st, 2006, 9:23 pm

Just for reference, here is the episode order I'm going by. This is how the series played when it orginally aired on CBS during the summers of 1968 and 1969. This order was also used in the US when the show ran in syndication on UHF channels, and again later on PBS stations and a 3rd late-night run on CBS around 1990. [The only exception is LIVING IN HARMONY, which did not air on CBS in '68 and '69. The network claimed it was too violent and included drug references. A more likely reason is that it featured anti-war undertones which were controversial at that time.]

1. Arrival
2. The Chimes of Big Ben
3. A. B. and C.
4. Free for All
5. The Schizoid Man
6. The General
7. Many Happy Returns
8. Dance of the Dead
9. Do Not Forsake me, Oh My Darling
10. It's Your Funeral
11. Checkmate
12. Living in Harmony
13. A Change of Mind
14. Hammer into Anvil
15. The Girl Who Was Death
16. Once Upon a Time
17. Fall Out
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

The Finale - no spoilers yet please

Postby Lunkenstein on December 1st, 2006, 9:32 pm

I've been thinking that since David is watching the series along with us for the first time, let's please not mention major points from the final episode until after we've gotten through it. I'd never want to ruin anyone's first time experience with this show. Thanks very much for everyone's consideration.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Prisoner