Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Prisoner Episode #7 - Many Happy Returns

Prisoner Episode #7 - Many Happy Returns

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

Prisoner Episode #7 - Many Happy Returns

Postby Lunkenstein on March 2nd, 2007, 12:33 am

This is one of my very favorite episodes and the first one I fully recorded on audio tape during the 1969 run. I listened to it countless times, enjoying the music, sounds and story.

Number 6 awakens to a completely deserted village. Everyone is gone, but for one small creature. It is the first appearance of the Village Cat, a black feline who observes the prisoner from a distance. Seeing this as his chance, Number 6 builds a raft and sets sail hoping to make it back home. At sea, he encounters gun-runners who he battles in a sequence reminiscent of SECRET AGENT. After finally reaching land, he makes his way back to London and his home. It is now occupied by kindly Mrs. Butterworth, who also now owns his car, KAR 120C. She helps him, and afterward he returns to another set of former associates, but can they truly be trusted?

The episode contains some of my favorite incidental music - as when Number 6 searches the village, the raft/sailing sequence and the haunting theme heard as he approaches his house. There are many beautifully photographed scenes such as the lighthouse, mountains and countryside. Also of note is the interesting lack of dialogue during the first third or so. It's a different kind of PRISONER episode, with its own unique atmosphere and look.

Six vs Village: This one is definitely all Village. The prisoner is fooled completely through out, and the ending is even more heart-wrenching than THE CHIMES OF BIG BEN as this time he really did make it all the way home, only to be air-mailed back to the village. How ironic and chilling to hear “Be seeing you” in this superb episode.

"I’m not sure which side runs this village." ~ Number 6

PRISONER SCORE BOARD:

Village: 4
Number 6: 3

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

whew

Postby Xenorama on May 3rd, 2007, 4:17 pm

a good episode- i agree with your review. i hope the cat isn't one of the eville people!

glad to find out i'm only ONE back!

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on May 3rd, 2007, 5:08 pm

Glad you liked it David. It's one of my favorites and has such a different style. Another one directed by Patrick himself under the guise of Joseph Serf. McGoohan also directed FREE FOR ALL and others. He often did this using pseudo names like Paddy Fitz and Joseph Serf to avoid having his name plastered too many places within the show's credits.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Lunkenstein on May 3rd, 2007, 5:58 pm

Another interesting point about this episode is the prisoner looks up more former associates for help. A risky move, but these guys seem to be part of a separate group from the ones in THE CHIMES OF BIG BEN. Obviously he must have worked for several different government organizations during his long spy career. I believe these associates were not part of the village. Right before taking off in the jet to search for the village, that milk truck pulls up and his flight partner is switched with a village bad guy. That sets up the creepy moment of "Be seeing you" as he sends Number 6 right back to his prison. That scene always gets me. Brrrr!
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Prisoner