Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Prisoner Episode #9 – Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling

Prisoner Episode #9 – Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

Prisoner Episode #9 – Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling

Postby Lunkenstein on July 8th, 2007, 9:19 pm

First off, I love how the opening of this episode deviates from the norm. It begins with a short introduction to the story before going into the regular sequence of the prisoner resigning. Then, when he wakes up in the village, the music is different. It’s based on the recurring theme music used in this particular episode, which is unique to the series. Also, the normal dialogue exchange is not included, ie: “Where am I? ” During the ‘60s, most shows opened and closed the exact same way, week after week. It was unusual for this to change, and it shows an artistic tone here making the viewer feel they’re headed toward something special with this series.

Generally considered one of the weaker episodes, I of course like it none the less. The story features a decent blend of science fiction and spy intrigue. The Village is seeking an elderly scientist known as Seltzman, and they cannot locate him. The link is Number 6 himself, who was the last person to have contact with him. Professor Seltzman has devised a machine which can switch the minds of 2 people, so the Village decides to use it to place Number 6’s mind into the body of one their own in order to find the professor.

Nigel Stock plays the Colonel, and does a decent job taking on McGoohan’s characteristics in another body. Clifford Evans is this week’s Number 2. He appeared in a couple notable Hammer horror films during his career, THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (1961) and THE KISS OF THE VAMPIRE (1963). The reason there is little of McGoohan here himself, is that he was taking a break to film ICE STATION ZEBRA in America.

Some things to look for: The flashback sequences are enjoyable and we discover more about the prisoner’s personal life. He has been missing for a year now. He had a fiancée. His wife to be was the daughter of a high ranking official in yet a third set of associates whom he had worked for. The mysterious village abductor is lurking about and actually gives the prisoner a drink during the party scene! There is an inside joke thrown in as well. The address on the letter that Number 6 had given to Seltzman reads ’20 Portmeirion Rd’!!

Six vs Village: Despite being placed in an extremely bizarre situation by the Village, Number 6 wins in the end. He has help though, from Seltzman himself who is also victorious.

"Seltzman!!!"

"Welcome to the village, sir."

PRISONER SCORE BOARD:

Village: 5
Number 6: 4

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

good

Postby Xenorama on October 5th, 2007, 2:21 pm

this is quite a good episode. i guess even the "weaker" ones are tops above most other shows.

i sure didn't see the ending coming, but it all came together to make sense.

i wondered why they'd done this episode, it's a good way to give the star a break for a vacation or a movie, it seems.

good episode.

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 12th, 2008, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on October 7th, 2007, 4:17 pm

Man, I've gotten behind on these. I'll have to do the next episode soon. Glad you liked this one, David!

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Re: Prisoner Episode #9 – Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling

Postby Lunkenstein on May 10th, 2008, 8:31 pm

I think the village temporarily kidnapped my reviewing capabilities for the series. I vow to escape and return to them soon!

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Prisoner