Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - RIP Patrick McGoohan

RIP Patrick McGoohan

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

RIP Patrick McGoohan

Postby Xenorama on January 14th, 2009, 3:20 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090114/ap_ ... t_mcgoohan

better watch the rest of the series now.

be seeing you.

David :crying4:
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Re: RIP Patrick McGoohan

Postby Lunkenstein on January 14th, 2009, 7:24 pm

David, I don't even know what to say yet. I'm in a state of shock. I came home from work, checked my email and in comes one from The Unmutual website with the bad news. With all the recent celebrity passings, nothing compares to this one for me. Patrick has been my favorite actor since I was 14. I'm 54 now. I think Disney's THE THREE LIVES OF THOMASINA may have been my introduction to him. I also liked SECRET AGENT as a kid, but the stories went over my young head. Of course I love them and appreciate them even more now. And what can I say about THE PRISONER? That sealed the deal for me. I was so into it, I carried a picture of Patrick as Number 6 in my wallet back then. It still remains my favorite series (along with OUTER LIMITS).

I've never been the type to join many fan clubs or try to contact famous people, but a couple years back it came to me that my guy was really getting up there in age. So I gave it a try and wrote him a letter. I mailed it to his agent and to another address (supposedly his, which turned out to be bogus). I wanted to tell him how much his work meant to me all these years. I did not get a response, but really didn't expect one. Patrick has always been a very private person and I respect that. I still thought it cool my favorite actor was still around when he turned 80 last year.

It's so strange. The last 2 nights I broke out my SCARECROW OF ROMNEY MARSH set and had been enjoying the heck out of it. I'd seen the edited movie version before, but not the original 3 shows as far as I recall. We were going to finish the 3rd installment tonight, but I just don't know after seeing this news.

Like I said, this one really hurts and has not sunk in yet. This is a day I've always dreaded.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Lunkenstein on January 14th, 2009, 10:13 pm

Back when SECRET AGENT and THE PRISONER were so popular on US television, local stations used to show a lot of his films from England and Ireland like LIFE FOR RUTH, ALL NIGHT LONG, THE QUARE FELLOW, 'TWO LIVING, ONE DEAD'. Through the years, I always tried to see any movie he was in in the theater if I could. Oh, if I'd only known he did that play in New York back in the '80s, I would have so been there.

I know 80 years old is a good run, but this is a huge chunk out of my youth. The only solace I can think of is we still have his great body of work and I will continue to acquire as much of it as I can.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Lunkenstein on January 14th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Well, we did end up watching the 3rd SCARECROW episode. It was bittersweet, but I felt I had to honor him somehow.

Farewell, my wonderful man.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Preston on January 15th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Very talented actor that Mr. McGoohan was. Back during the 1960s, I used to watch his SECRET AGENT. I remember that series using a lot of harpsichord music, as, for some reason, I always associate that instrument with British programs such as the AVENGERS.
You mentioned writing to Mr. McGoohan. That reminds me when I once wrote to actor Orson Bean because I always enjoyed his antics as a comedy-magician. So in the 1980s I wrote to Mr. Bean in care of the TONIGHT SHOW since he appeared on that show so often. About a week later, I got a very nice letter from Mr. Bean. The stationery had the letterhead of Holiday Inn, so I presume that Mr. Bean was staying at a Holiday Inn when he wrote the letter. So gracious of Mr. Bean to write to me. He mentioned the magic he performed. I particularly enjoyed Mr. Bean's comedy magic of the Cut and Restored Necktie. Mr. Bean is still alive, I think. If so, I wish he would appear on game-shows again, as I'm an avid game show fan.

Also, I'm glad that Mr. Leonard Nimoy is still alive. Nimoy will always be my favorite actor. I heard he will appear in the next STAR TREK movie. But I wonder whether it will be an actual visual appearance or only his voice. After all,the movie will center on Spock as Teen-ager, so I wonder if Nimoy will be there visually or only his voice.
Preston
Mutant

RIP Patrick McGoohan

Postby Preston on January 20th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Another one I recall watching that had Mr. McGoohan was Man in the Iron Mask. In that one, he played a villain. Wasn't that Minister Fouquet? I remember that name was pronounced as "foo-kay."
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkenstein on January 21st, 2009, 9:08 pm

Nimoy will always be my favorite actor.

Preston, I actually got to meet Nimoy very briefly in 1974. STAR TREK had been doing really good in syndication and his popularity was increasing. Still, he made an appearance at our local Kiddie City toy store. We had to stand in line for a while, but it was worth it. There wasn't much time for conversation as we filed through and basically just got to say hello. I told him I admired his work and it was great to meet him. I also got to shake his hand. That was a fun experience. Years later in the early '90s, my number 1 son and I went to a STAR TREK convention in Philly. Both William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy were there, but we only got to see them on stage from a great distance.
Another one I recall watching that had Mr. McGoohan was Man in the Iron Mask. In that one, he played a villain. Wasn't that Minister Fouquet?

Good call there, Preston. That is one of Patrick's appearances I've yet to see. I have full intent on collecting as much of his work as possible and IRON MASK is definitely on my list.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to The Prisoner