Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Official Stooge DVD box sets possible in 2007

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Official Stooge DVD box sets possible in 2007

Stoogemania anyone? Bring some boint toast and a rotten egg and get in for 1/2 price. Discuss the classic stylings of our favorite funnymen.

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Official Stooge DVD box sets possible in 2007

Postby Lunkhead on May 26th, 2006, 8:50 pm

Hey gang, check out this message that BeAStooge posted in the Stooge Yahoo Group:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showpost.php?p=2871615&postcount=60

A discussion of the Stooges shorts on DVD [i.e., lack of] has been a
current topic of discussion at The Home Theater Forum website. One of
the site's contributors received the following comment from his home
video contact at Sony/Columbia (see link above for the full
discussion)...

Quote:
"We are planning to release a series of Three Stooges boxed sets next
year, potentially summer or fall 2007. The sets will include
sequential B&W shorts encompassing two year periods. We also plan to
produce added value material for the first set."

Brent

Man, I so want this to happen. Here's hopin'! :3stooges:
Last edited by Lunkhead on May 26th, 2006, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

yesh!

Postby Xenorama on May 26th, 2006, 8:59 pm

now this is some possible GREAT news.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby MickeyMoe on May 27th, 2006, 6:45 am

WOW!! "Hurry I can hardly wait!" I'd better my eye-pokin' fingers in shape!!

MM
"They call me MICKEYMOE THE MURDERIN' MESSOUR....I'll show you some real mahem!!"
MickeyMoe
Moron

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on May 27th, 2006, 8:25 am

They're going to charge an arm and a leg for those, just you watch.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on May 27th, 2006, 1:21 pm

That is one concern, I agree. If they price em sky-high, that'll stop me cold. That's why I've yet to get box sets of the original STAR TREK (which I'd love to have). They're consistently priced at $100 and up. My OUTER LIMITS sets cost me $52 each a couple year backs, and that's about as high as I wanna go in one shot. I'm used to getting a lot for my money now. I get GILLIGAN'S ISLAND seasons for around $32, the UNIVERSAL MONSTER LEGACY sets (with an average of 5 films each) for $20, etc.

So let's look at this. If they did chronological sets of 2 years each, this is how it would break down:

Set# number of shorts
1-----11
2-----16
3-----16
4-----16
5-----17
6-----11
7-----16
8-----16
9-----17
10----16
11----14
12----16
13-----8

Now what would be a fair price for each set? Or could the price vary according to # of shorts and/or any bonus materials? Even if they were a straight $20 a set, that would be a total of $380 for all of them. Pretty steep in the long run, but I can't imagine a set being lower than $20. That might be fair, especially if the prints are restored to pristine quality. It would take time to acquire all the sets, but then again, it would be easier to check each set for any playback problems. A lot of things to consider, but I'm still glad they may be released, hopefully at a sensible price.

The original Sony disks only averaged 5 shorts each, and were priced around $24 to $26 each. Some of these were before box sets really took off in popularity. But Sony continued to go with 5 per disk, and then the colorizing route (which obviously failed). People know better now and want more for their buck. I hope they consider that, cause reasonably priced sets will sell much better and Sony in turn would rake in more - SO EVERYONE WOULD BE HAPPY.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

could be

Postby Xenorama on May 27th, 2006, 2:01 pm

well, i'd bet they do two years per set, at say, $30-$40 per set. they'll probably do all the Besser's together, since there aren't that many, are there?
but there will also be all sorts of extras, commentaries, rare footage, etc that will also make these be worthwhile.
the problem for Columbia is that someone like me will only buy the Curley shorts, and maybe the Bessers. not every fan is fanatic about the entire series.
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkhead on May 27th, 2006, 3:05 pm

There are just 16 Besser shorts Megs.

Your price range is probably closer to what they will do, but that would make it extremely expensive to get all 190. Sadly, I don't think I could afford it, unless I do it slowly. By that time, I'll probably be in an old people's home.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby MickeyMoe on May 27th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Since this latest DVD discussion thread started, I looked at my "Curly's Only" boxed sets. (40 shorts per set, 2 boxes= 80 shorts) They are still all over Ebay and the ad reads "ALL 80 CURLY SHORTS", which obviously is not true since I'm missing "Three Loan Wolves", "Violent is the word for Curly" etc.

Today I read the boxes a little closer, and the seller had (in very small print) stated that all the shorts are now in puclic domain, or the copyright liscences have run out. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

One comment on my "77 Shemp Shorts Set", which are actually copies of disks 33 thru 36 of the complete set the DK bought recently. I was watching one today, and who popped up at the end of the short? LESLIE NEILSON!!! They were copied from AMC's weekly Stooge University airings hosted by Leslie Nielson several years ago. I was wondering why some of them were edited, (scenes I was looking forward to not there) and realized it was for AMC commmerical time.

"Can't even trust a termite"

I have to agree with you mugs, the Columbia sets will cost a lot- TWO ARMS AND LEGS!!!

MM

P.S. I HATE LOUD CAR STEREOS. I WONDER WHAT MOE WOULD DO TO ONE OF THEM LOUD ASS CARS IF HE WERE AROUND. I SWEAR THE PICTURE WINDOW IN MY LIVING ROOM IS GONNA SHATTER!!!
"They call me MICKEYMOE THE MURDERIN' MESSOUR....I'll show you some real mahem!!"
MickeyMoe
Moron

Postby Uncle Phineas on June 8th, 2006, 5:50 pm

I'm probably going to end up buying them anyway even if they are a little overpriced. I think it'll be worth it to finally get all 190, (hopefully) uncut and in order.
Uncle Phineas
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkhead on June 9th, 2006, 10:30 am

Yeah, me too, now that I think about it. How could I not? At least it could be done piece-meal and it's the Stooges, so it's a must!
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on June 9th, 2006, 10:44 pm

I'll probabily do the same also if it is mastered from good prints, I would like all 190 in one shot.
Last edited by DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 24th, 2007, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on June 14th, 2006, 10:49 pm

Wow, you're right MM, you can't trust a termite these days!
Last edited by DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 24th, 2007, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

waiting

Postby Wilytank on September 16th, 2006, 7:29 pm

I'll be waiting for that!
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Postby Lunkhead on October 13th, 2006, 7:43 am

I hope the Columbia box sets are still being considered - haven't heard anything more about them. Plus they recently released another colorized set called STOOGES ON THE RUN. Just 4 shorts consisting of (wait, please sit down) DISORDER IN THE COURT, CALLING ALL CURS, DIZZY DOCTORS, and POP GOES THE EASEL. All have been previously released on other Columbia sets, and DISORDER has been out a million times on PD disks. Maybe this was just to complete a contractual agreement - I hope, I truly hope.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on October 13th, 2006, 11:22 pm

The Three Stooges fan club magazine was clammoring for an all-inclusive box set of the Three Stooges shorts in the last edition, lets hope something happens.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Next

Return to Strictly Stooges