Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Poor Moe!

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Poor Moe!

Stoogemania anyone? Bring some boint toast and a rotten egg and get in for 1/2 price. Discuss the classic stylings of our favorite funnymen.

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Poor Moe!

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 2:40 am

NOTE: THIS THREAD IS FROM THE LUNKHEAD'S ZONE EZBOARD

Lunkhead
ezOP
(5/22/02 1:54 am)
Reply | Edit | Del All
Poor Moe!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's your favorite 'Poor Moe' scene?

Mine is the rubber suit bit from "Dizzy Pilots". Hysterically funny seeing Moe turned into a zeppelin.

"Oh! I'm floating. I'm floating away!"

stoogefan65
Pumpkinbrain
(5/22/02 9:14 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Poor Moe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For me, it is "Idiots Deluxe."

Curly,.."Poor Moe !!"
Larry,.."Oh woe is Moe !!"
Moe,..."Oh WOE is YOU !!"
Larry,.."WHOA, MOE !!"

Gets me everytime !!!

stoogefan65
Pumpkinbrain
(5/23/02 4:02 pm)
I can't remember the name of the short, but it starts w/the boys as Airplane "mechanics" in England, I think. Anyway, at one point, Moe gets his head stuck in a rather large piece of pipe, and Curly and Larry put him through all kinds of torture, ( using a crowbar, trying to twist it off, trying to heat the pipe so Moe will slip out, etc ), trying to free him. "Poor Moe" applies to those situations !!

...."What's cookin' !!".......

Lunkhead
ezOP
(5/23/02 10:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Poor Moe!
"It's Me!!!"

Those are good examples. My brain can't remember the name of that short either, but those scenes are super funny. Remember when they finally got his head out, it had the screw mark all the way around his face from the twisting.

stoogefan65
Pumpkinbrain
(5/24/02 10:26 am)
Yeah, the "twist marks" on Moe's face are pretty funny. I think the boys end up inside a "blockbuster" that winds up being dropped on the "bad guys" at the short's end. Another short where Moe takes pretty good abuse is "The Sitterdowners." After Moe get his finger stuck in the water faucet, Larry lets him have it pretty good.

Moe,..."Get the Dynamite. I knew we'd have to use it for something."

Curly,..."HEY !! You're not gonna BLAST ?"

Moe,...."What would YOU DO?"

Curly,..."I'd blast !"

Megaloman
Grapehead
(5/24/02 11:19 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: Poor Moe
Moe usually deserved what he got, simply cause he dished out so much more retribution to the boys the rest of the time.

David McRobie
Xenorama~
http://www.homestead.com/xenorama
http://www.geocities.com/megaloman01
"As of 12 noon tomorrow, say goodbye to the world as you know it."
"12 Noon"

stoogefan65
Pumpkinbrain
(5/26/02 6:26 am)
Reply | Edit | Del "Poor Moe"
Other shorts were Moe get clobbered are "Cactus Makes Perfect", ( at the bottom of "The Lost Mine" ), and "Cash & Carry", ( at the bottom of the hole they were digging).

Moe,.."What's that?"
Larry,."That's an eye."
Moe,.."Yeah,..an eye for an eye !!" (Pokes Larry in his eyes.
Curly,."And a tooth for a tooth?"
Moe,.."Certainly !!" (Slaps Curly.)

Lunkhead
ezOP
(5/26/02 10:30 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
How about the Shemp short where Moe swallows the tacks? Can't remember the name of that one either. But the sound Moe makes with his tongue after he swallows them kills me every time.

stoogefan65
Pumpkinbrain
(5/28/02 5:41 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del RE-"Poor Moe"
Yeah. That was "Corny Casanovas", I think. The one where the boys all have the same girlfriend, Connie Cezan. Another short where Moe gets in pretty good is "A Stitch In Time", where the boys are "Miss Sutter's" carpenters. Remember when Moe gets his eye glued shut, and Shemp attempts to open it with a hammer and chisel !!

sickdrjoe
Pumpkinbrain
(7/11/02 4:12 am)
Reply | Edit | Del re
It's a pure PLEASURE to see a Stooge board NOT populated by nitpicking Stooge nerds! Seeing so many comments on the order of, "I can't remember the name of this short - ahhh, t'hell with it!"....well, it does my heart good.

Lunkhead
ezOP
(7/12/02 5:14 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Hopefully I've layed down a loose atmosphere here. As much as I love the stooges and all the classic monsters/comedy, etc, I gotta admit I'm not a super-expert. I thought I knew tons about The Outer Limits til I read some posts in a Yahoo OL group. Yeeshh. Those people would run circles around me. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate and respect all the knowledge and info out there, but we can still have fun with this stuff despite varying levels of ignoramacy. (Having said all this, I shoulda remembered "Corny Casanovas", Nyuk, nyuk.)
"I'll squeeze the cider outta yer adam's apple!"
http://www.lunkhead.net
Lunkhead's Zone

stoogefan65
Grapehead
(7/13/02 8:50 am)
Moe also get pulled through wall or two in various shorts. I think "They Stooge To Conga" and "Listen , Judge !!" are two examples .

...."I'll MURDER SOMEBODY !!!.......

....."A GOPHER !!!............

Megaloman
Applehead
(7/13/02 8:09 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: Poor Moe
Perhaps we could institute a poll over here as well...

David
Xenorama~
xenorama.homestead.com
"You're so bossy you should be milked before you come in at night"
Roy to Alice, in "ROBOT MONSTER"

Lunkhead
ezOP
(7/13/02 8:32 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Those scenes are great and super-funny. Seems to be the height of numskullery to keep pullin hard enough and long enough to actually drag a poor soul through a wall.
"Hey. This gopher looks like Moe!"

How about the notorious climbing spike in Moe's eye? Man alive!! Really felt for him there. Definitely a Poor Moe moment.

Speaking of "Listen, Judge", there's a Shemp moment that tickles my funny bone everytime. When they short out the light bulb in his ear via the screwdriver, Shemp's bellow always puts me on the floor. It sounds so sincere and pathetic. Shemp's yells always crack me up, but that one especially.

stoogefan65
Grapehead
(7/14/02 9:19 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Poor Moe !
Yeah,..that scene is a hoot !! I also always laugh at Shemp as the chef.

Shemp,..."Separate two eggs." (Move two eggs apart)

Shemp,..(continuing ),...."Put 'em in the turkey. Any dope would know that !!"

"The Galloping Gourmet" had nothing on Shemp !!!

Megaloman
Applehead
(7/15/02 3:46 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: Poor Moe !
Yeah, but Curly did the egg separating thing first!

David
Xenorama~
xenorama.homestead.com
"You're so bossy you should be milked before you come in at night"
Roy to Alice, in "ROBOT MONSTER"

stoogefan65
Grapehead
(7/15/02 6:10 pm)
Yeah, Curly's chef in "An Ache In Every Stake" was also super. I enjoy both Curly's and Shemp's comic styles in that bit. Curly's bit was a bit more involved,..i.e.,.."Shaving the Ice",...but that's a great thing about the boys. They continually use routines again and again in the shorts,...but you still laugh.

Curly,..."Hey, mister. Did you have a pink tie on? No?,...Well,..here's your lip !!!"

BeAStooge
(9/10/02 10:07 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Poor Moe !
< Yeah, but Curly did the egg separating thing first! >

Nope. The cooking gags were first performed by a stooge, namely Shemp Howard, in the Vitaphone comedy "A Peach of a Pair" (1934). The director of "Peach" was Hal Roach veteran Lloyd French; French wrote the screenplay for "An Ache in Every Stake" (1941) and recycled those gags for Curly.

Megaloman
Applehead
(9/10/02 1:44 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: Poor Moe !
OK, he did it in a Stooge short first? Neither of them were probably the first to do it anyway!
"Don't vex me Pinky, or I shall turn on you."
The Brain

Lunkhead
ezOP
(9/11/02 7:40 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
I would think a lot of gags from vaudeville made there way into many films. Brent, do you know if Lloyd French actually wrote the eggs bit or if he got it from an early live act?

That's probably another whole topic - which routines came from vaudeville and were redone in shorts. I enjoy both the Stooges and Abbott & Costello's versions of "Niagra Falls" for instance. I believe that came from vaudeville, but who originally wrote it? This has probably been covered before on other boards, but Brent, any ideas on who authored "Niagra Falls"?

Megaloman
Nitwit
(9/11/02 7:45 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

NIAGRA FALLS?!?!
Slowly I turned, step by step...

pub59.ezboard.com/bxenorama
The Brain
Last edited by Lunkhead on June 15th, 2005, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Poor Moe!

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 2:44 am

Lunkhead
ezOP
(9/11/02 7:51 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Inch by inch...

BeAStooge
Pumpkinbrain
(9/12/02 9:46 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Something borrowed...
< I would think a lot of gags from vaudeville made there way into many films. Brent, do you know if Lloyd French actually wrote the eggs bit or if he got it from an early live act? >

Lloyd French directed "A Peach of a Pair;" didn't do the screenplay.

There are very few original sight gags in the Stooges' films. Del Lord, Charley Chase, Clyde Bruckman, Felix Adler, etc. all learned their trade in the silent days of film and borrowed often from their past credits. The Stooges' certainly put their brand of comedy on many classic bits, and did it better than anyone, and their personalities and character quirks were certainly their own... but the scripts were rarely, purely original works; I think an overall 25% originality factor would be a more than generous estimate.

Example: In "An Ache in Every Stake," Lloyd French borrowed the cooking gags from "A Peach of a Pair" (1934), Del Lord borrowed the iceman/stairs gags from "Ice Cold Cookoos" (1926) a silent Billy Bevan film he directed, etc.

And even almost all of that can be traced back even further to vaudeville and burlesque.

< I enjoy both the Stooges and Abbott & Costello's versions of "Niagra Falls" for instance. I believe that came from vaudeville, but who originally wrote it? This has probably been covered before on other boards, but Brent, any ideas on who authored "Niagra Falls"? >

I don't know... I've heard two names mentioned, but neither with great certainty. In his obituary a few years ago, Joey Faye was credited. But I've also heard Sid Fields credited (if true, doing Niagara Falls with Lou Costello on "The A&C Show" was a stroke of genius and a fitting honor).

Lunkhead
ezOP
(9/12/02 10:48 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Something borrowed...
Wouldn't it be cool to know who threw the very first pie and thought it was funny? That probably goes all the way back to court jesters and traveling minstrel shows (maybe even further?).

Wasn't Sidney Fields great? It's been years since I've seen the A & C series, but I loved the vaudeville feel of it. Sid's landlord was hysterical and I remember how funny he was with Lou doing the Niagra Falls routine. I've got an audio cassette somewhere of an A & C radio show with Sid. He really worked well with them.

Megaloman
Nitwit
(9/12/02 10:59 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: Something borrowed...
I was gonna ask where the Niagra Falls skit was done on A & C- I've only seen the Stooges one.

The Brain

BeAStooge
Pumpkinbrain
(9/12/02 11:37 am)
Reply | Edit | Del A&C Niagara Falls
Three filmed versions:

- "Lost in a Harem" (MGM 1944), w/Murray Leonard as the bum
- "Jail" 1st season episode (1951) of A&C's sitcom, w/Sid Fields as the bum
- A 1952 NBC "The Colgate Comedy Hour" hosted by Bud and Lou (they hosted 19 times out of 21 appearances), with ERROL FLYNN as the bum

Megaloman
Nitwit
(9/12/02 4:03 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: A&C Niagara Falls
I would like to see those now.

The Brain

tlc1952
Pumpkinbrain
(11/1/02 2:48 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Poor Moe!
Two shorts immediately come to mind.

One, Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb where Moe glued his mouth shut and Larry went and got the tea kettle and poured scalding hot water over his face.

Two, Pardon My Scotch when Curly is sawing a board on a table that Moe is standing on and cuts the table in the process sending Moe crashing to the floor. I laugh and cringe at the same time everytime I watch this film because I know Moe gets very seriously hurt in that scene.

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(11/1/02 10:12 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Yes, TLC! And 2 very funny shorts indeed. Another quickie poor Moe moment from "Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb" was the "Get this Henry the 8th off my neck" scene. Love that line. Listen to it here ==> mywebpages.comcast.net/hpack/henry8.wav

The rib-breaking scene in "Pardon My Scotch" is tough to watch knowing what happened, but seeing Moe get up and proceed to double-slap Larry & Curly without missing a beat is great. A true professional continuing to do his job despite intense pain.
"Toots, I'd love to cover you with furs... Only the best furs - mink, skunk, porcupine. Only the best for you..."
Lunkhead's Place
Lunkhead's Zone

Megaloman
Ignoramous
(11/1/02 6:52 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

That one hurts just reading about it. What were they thinking?
The Brain

tlc1952
Pumpkinbrain
(11/3/02 1:58 am)
Reply | Edit | Del "Get this Henry the 8th off my neck"
Yes, Yes, Yes! I forgot about that scene, it is a total scream.

tlc1952
Pumpkinbrain
(11/3/02 2:40 am)
You are so right about Moe being a true professional to complete the scene perfectly under such pain. In fact, they all were true professionals.

I am reminded of Curly's severe injury on the set of 3 Dumb Clucks when he performed the scene as the father being pushed into the elevator shaft and landing on that 2 x 4 busting his head wide open. They got him out of the hole and he was one, big, bloody mess and in terrible pain. They made him as comfortable as possible until the studio doctor arrived. The doctor cleaned him up, put antiseptic on the wound, clipped hair around the wound and then clued it in the wound area. Then Curly continued on with the scene. Man, what a trooper.

Talk about being in awe, every short Curly was in after 3 Dumb Clucks I can see that horrible scar. I can even see the scar in Calling All Curs when Curly’s hair was at its longest of any of his films.

Megaloman
Ignoramous
(11/3/02 2:20 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

What year was that?

The Brain

tlc1952
Pumpkinbrain
(11/3/02 4:53 pm)

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(11/4/02 11:15 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Poor Larry!
That's a nasty one for sure. Poor Curly! Like you said, they were all true professionals to keep going despite the injuries.

How about this mishap right into Larry's forehead?!?!
MAN ALIVE!!!

"Toots, I'd love to cover you with furs... Only the best furs - mink, skunk, porcupine. Only the best for you..."
Lunkhead's Place
Lunkhead's Zone

Edited by: Lunkhead at: 11/4/02 11:31:27 pm

tlc1952
Pumpkinbrain
(11/5/02 2:43 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Poor Larry!
Yes, I remember reading about this mishap poor Larry had and was going to add another paragraph speaking of this incidence except I do not know which short it happened in. I do not have the video and when I watched it on TV I was a kid, many YEARS ago, and can't remember the title.

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(11/5/02 9:39 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Poor Larry!
It's from "Heavenly Daze" ( 1948 ), the one where Shemp returns as a ghost to haunt Moe & Larry in order to reform them. I believe I read that Larry was concerned about doing this bit initially. The pen was supposed to fly at him on a string, but stop short of actually making contact. Instead, the tip planted itself right into his forehead! This enraged Moe, who ran after director Jules White for allowing such a blunder. Scary to think it could have been worse.

Being a bit of a sicko, when I watch this scene it still makes me laugh (albeit cringe too) just for the fact that it remained in the short. ["Ah, what the hay? That's showbiz."] It cuts away to a grimacing Shemp (surely filmed at a different time), making it even funnier in a sadistic way. Can you imagine Larry's reaction while watching this filmed sequence? Surely it must have been priceless.

MOSUGOJI
Pumpkinbrain
(11/6/02 3:53 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Wasn't there an incident where Larry had some animal put on his head and it wound up badly scratching his bald spot up. I recall reading something like that somewhere before.

Megaloman
Ignoramous
(11/7/02 12:35 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

These guys were troopers, that's for sure.

The Brain

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(11/7/02 9:46 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
<<Larry had some animal put on his head and it wound up badly scratching his bald spot up.>>

Quite possible MOSUGOJI. I don't know offhand, but I'll scout around for info on it.

tlc1952
Pumpkinbrain
(11/7/02 4:31 pm)
Thanks for informing me what short Larry was hurt in.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Poor Larry!

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 2:48 am

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(11/7/02 10:42 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
You're welcome. It's a super funny short and one of my favorite Shemps.

Shemp Shady
Pumpkinbrain
(11/12/02 4:01 am)
<<<<<Larry had some animal put on his head and it wound up badly scratching his bald spot up.>>>>>

Never heard of that either. Sounds like the work of a scared cat or small forest critter (e.g., porcupine, raccoon). If this were accidental, it might've happened in one of the shorts filmed in the great outdoors (e.g., BACK TO THE WOODS; WHOOPS, I'M AN INDIAN; UNCIVIL WARLOCKS).

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(11/12/02 8:34 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

A porcupine scratchin the porcupine! - Wouldn't that be something? I'll see if I can find any info on such a mauling.
"Now, if only we could find an adult."
Lunkhead's Place
Lunkhead's Zone

Megaloman
Ignoramous
(11/13/02 12:39 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Detective Lunk, hard at work!

The Brain

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(11/20/02 9:31 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Have an answer to MOSUGOJI's earlier question:

<<Wasn't there an incident where Larry had some animal put on his head and it wound up badly scratching his bald spot up. I recall reading something like that somewhere before.>>

The following was graciously supplied to us from BeAStooge over at the StoogeWorld forum:

<<Larry related in his autobiography "Stroke of Luck" that in an alternate, unused, take of the mudhole scene in PUNCH DRUNKS, Larry would raise his head out of the water and have a live frog on his head.

"They plant a large frog on my head, and as I lift my head out of the water, the frog is slipping off and it would dig deeper into my scalp in order not to fall off, thereby scratching the hell out of the top of my head and I bled profusely.">>

Thanks again Brent for this info!

MOSUGOJI
Pumpkinbrain
(11/23/02 1:14 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
scratched up by a frog?? Must have been some frog! All the ones I've ever seen don't have claws.

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(11/23/02 3:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Maybe it was by one of these babies:
http://www.allaboutfrogs.org/weird/strange/big.html

Just kiddin. Interesting stuff though. RRRIBBBITTT!!!

Useless trivia: Goliath frogs produce goliath warts! Be sure to wash hands thoroughly after walking your blubberous toad!
"Now, if only we could find an adult."
Lunkhead's Place
Lunkhead's Zone
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Wilytank on September 15th, 2006, 6:43 am

Ha funny.
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Return to Strictly Stooges