Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Favorite Episodes

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Favorite Episodes

Stoogemania anyone? Bring some boint toast and a rotten egg and get in for 1/2 price. Discuss the classic stylings of our favorite funnymen.

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Favorite Episodes

Postby Lunkhead on June 15th, 2005, 7:10 pm

NOTE: THIS THREAD IS FROM THE LUNKHEAD'S ZONE EZBOARD

stoogefan65
Pumpkinbrain
(5/21/02 4:04 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Favorite Episodes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are some favorite shorts of my fellow "knuckleheads?" I like "Ants In The Pantry", "Who Done It?", "They Stooge To Conga", and "Brideless Groom" to name a few.

..."The place is infested. We better forget high society and get to work !!".........

Moe Howard
"Ants In The Pantry"

..."Here I Am MOE !!...Whoa !! Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!".....

Shemp Howard
"Who Done It?"

......"Hey, fellas !!..I found a wire !!!".......

Larry Fine
"They Stooge to Conga"

....."You're little dreamboat is sailin' !!"........

Shemp Howard
"Brideless Groom"

Megaloman
Pumpkinbrain
(5/21/02 8:28 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: Favorite Episodes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like most of the Curlys, except when he is so noticably sick. But even then he was trying.

David McRobie
Xenorama~
http://www.homestead.com/xenorama
http://www.geocities.com/megaloman01
"As of 12 noon tomorrow, say goodbye to the world as you know it."
"12 Noon"

Lunkhead
ezOP
(5/21/02 9:59 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
"Men in Black" is my number 1 fav. Others off the top of my skull are "Punch Drunks", "Boobs in Arms", "Dizzy Pilots", "Brideless Groom", "Listen Judge", "An Ache in Every Stake", "The Ghost Talks" & "A Plumbing They Will Go".
"I'll show you how they 'Burked' them... No, put your hand down. How can I show you, man!"
http://www.lunkhead.net
Lunkhead's Zone

stoogefan65
Pumpkinbrain
(5/28/02 5:47 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Favorite Episodes
"Brideless Groom !!" That, along w/"All Gummed Up" and "Who Done it?", are probably Shemp's best work the the act. ( "Pest Man Wins" also. ) "Brideless Groom" is truly a classic, though !!"

Moe,..."You mean you'll really marry him?"
Miss Dinkelmeyer,..."Oh, Yes !! Why he's my little ole dreamboat !!"
Shemp,....."You're little dreamboat is salin' !!! Whooo !!Whooo!!"

Also, the phone booth scene btwn Moe and Shemp is hilarious !! I've seen it a MILLION TIMES, and I con recite it line for line,...but it still makes me laugh my head off!!!

...."Wait, Wait, Wait. We're gettin' no place fast. Let's get at this thing the right way !!!"..........

Lunkhead
ezOP
(5/31/02 8:38 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Those are all great Shemp shorts. I really like "Who Done It?" a lot.

Speaking of the "Brideless Groom" phone booth scene, did you notice the picture of Shemp pressing his mug against the glass on my home page? Is that a hysterical face or what?!?!

jagmandc
Pumpkinbrain
(3/22/03 4:49 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Favorite Episodes
I have to put in a plug for "Movie Maniacs". It generally is so hideously chopped up and edited on the rare occasions it is aired that no one seems to mention it. The complete version, including the Stooges demonstrating the way to kiss an actress on-screen and a wonderful bit with Moe as director telling Larry and Curly to "show these puppets how to move", is well worth tracking down. It ends a bit abruptly (like so many of the shorts), but IMHO it contains some of the best work they ever did.

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(3/22/03 8:25 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

That's one I haven't seen very often. Taped it off AMC a couple years back. I think someone mentioned that only 2 of the AMC shorts had cuts. This might be one of them. I'll have to check it out.

Megaloman
Blubberhead
(3/28/03 2:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Favorite Episodes
Why is it edited?

pub59.ezboard.com/bxenorama
"Death, only, renders hope futile."
Vad Varo

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(4/1/03 6:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Megs, I'm only guessing, but maybe the scene where the boys demonstrate how to kiss the actress might be politically incorrect now for whatever reason.

Josh, I watched the AMC one recently and didn't see the "kissing demonstration" or Moe saying "show these puppets how to move", so apparently it is a hacked version - dang! With all the stuff that transgresses the tube these days, how on earth can editing stooge shorts be justified? Give em to me in all their glory I say!!! PC or not!!!

BeAStooge
Pumpkinbrain
(4/2/03 10:03 am)
Reply | Edit | Del AMC edits
AMC did not edit the films:

Several of the shorts were edited in 1958, before they were released to TV, because someone at Screen Gems felt that certain scenes may not be "appropriate" for children. Among the handful of edits were the kissing scene from MOVIE MANIACS, the grain alcohol scene in A BIRD IN THE HEAD and the wooden leg gag from THREE SAPPY PEOPLE.

For whatever reason(s), remastered copies of these edited versions remain in Columbia's library, and they occassionally they show up. For instance, when Beta/VHS Volume 1 was released in 1980/1981, both BIRD and SAPPY were the edited versions; Columbia corrected the error in 1982 when they put that volume on Laser Disc; but, the tape version was not corrected until Volume 1 was re-released in 1995 as the 3-ep volume A BIRD IN THE HEAD.

The package of films AMC received in late 1999 included the BIRD and MANIACS edits. They also received a politically-corrected print of UNCIVIL WARRIORS, with the "he got quite sunburned" gag snipped (a mid-1960s Screen Gems edit); after some viewer complaints, Columbia gave them a complete print in 2001. AMC's THREE SAPPY PEOPLE print was always complete.

The edits were done in 1958, and haunt us 45 years later.

With the exception of THREE LITTLE BEER's 20-second technical glitch, all current Columbia home video DVD and VHS releases are complete.

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(4/4/03 9:54 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: AMC edits
Thanks for clearing that up Brent. I had no idea the edits went back that far. Hopefully someday I'll get hold of the non-clipped versions.

cheeseknife
Pumpkinbrain
(8/10/03 2:08 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Favorite Episodes
OK lame brains waist your time reading my list of favorite episodes in no particular order:

An Ache in Every Stake
Oily to Bed Oily to Rise
Uncivil Warriors
Dizzy Detectives
Movie Maniacs
Dutiful but Dumb
Pardon My Scotch
Three Little Beers
We Want our Mummy
A Ducking They Did Go
A Plumbing We Will Go
So Long Mr. Chumps
All The Worlds a Stooge
Some More of Somoa
Three Smart Saps
Microphonies
Booby Dupes

clint55
Pumpkinbrain
(1/30/04 9:29 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

I'd be hard pressed (Moe stop the presses) to pick a favorite, but if I'm watchin da boys I always have to include 'Cactus makes perfect'. Whenever they get in tight spaces they really rock. In 'Cactus makes perfect' that would be - the bathroom scene, the shaft scene, and the vault scene.

Zoot, I shoot an arrow into the air
where it lands I do not care
I get my arrows wholesale -

MickeyMoe2
Wiseguy
(2/1/04 10:17 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

For me it's a toss up- "Three Loan Wolves", "Whoops I'm an Indian" and "The Sitter Downers".

I guess I should be loyal to my name and say my favorite is

"Three Loan Wolves"

CRASSHHHHH!!! "Where'd the water come from?"...."THE OLD OAKEN BUCKET!".....

MM the MM

Megaloman
Half Brother to a Weasil
(2/4/04 12:39 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Super Service
I like:
Disorder in the Court
Violent is the Word for Curly
all the ones spoofing Herr Schnickelgruber

"They're all one wire short of full brain!"

Hakaida

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(2/4/04 8:54 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

How could I have left DISORDER IN THE COURT off my list? There are so many great shorts, but that was inexcusable.

[LUNKHEAD SLAPS HIMSELF UPSIDE THE HEAD VIGOROUSLY FOR 10 MINUTES. NEXT, AFTER CLIMBING A-TOP HIS DESK, HE JUMPS OFF HEAD FIRST TO THE FLOOR, RESULTING IN A SELF-INFLICTED PILE-DRIVER. COMING TO FROM SAID INJURY, HE GRABS THE REMOTE NEXT TO HIS HOSPITAL BED. THERE UPON THE TELLY PLAYETH "MEN IN BLACK", FOLLOWED BY WHAT ELSE? - "DISORDER IN THE COURT".]

That's the last time I leave that short off my list.

stoogefan65
Blubberhead
(2/5/04 4:22 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re:Favorite Episodes
"I say , Jasper. What comes after 75?"

"76"

"That's the spirit."

MickeyMoe2
Wiseguy
(2/5/04 9:36 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Re:Favorite Episodes

Hey Lunkhead,

I hope you didn't hurt that "little piece of brain" when you pile drove your head. Did you wreck the floor really badly??

"What'd ya give 'em?" ..."EITHER"... "Yea, either the hammah or the bottle!!"

MM the Murderin' messour

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(2/5/04 8:03 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Well, there is a hole in the floor. That's dangerous. I'll put a throw-rug over it.

dharmabum06
Pumpkinbrain
(3/9/04 4:57 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
i think "cuckoo on a choo-choo" is, if not the best, at least the most bizarre! larry's turn in the spotlight as an abusive marlon brando type (and eating a fish meal and limburger sandwich between 2 plates, followed by a beer bath...); shemp with the d.t.'s, dancing with carrie the giant canary, and those electric (razor) kisses; lovelorn detective moe, searching for a stolen railcar (?!?) called 'schmow'... it's almost psychedelic... i wonder why they never showed it on amc? i waited with bait-ed breath and poised vcr, but never...
"As an artist you live in conflict and contradiction, you make your art out of conflict and contradiction." -- Sherman Alexei

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(3/13/04 3:27 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
CUCKOO is definitely an oddball, but I like it. It's one of 60 AMC could not show due to their package agreement.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Favorite Episodes

Postby Lunkhead on June 15th, 2005, 7:11 pm

jamiemark
Pumpkinbrain
(3/21/04 10:02 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Re:Favorite Episodes
I haven't seen it in a while, and not sure of the episode title. It's a western w/Shemp and some old coot keeps twanging his guitar and pissing off Moe every time he does it. Stupid things like that crack me up!!!!
"Just when they think they have the answers, I change the questions"

Bruckman64
Grapehead
(3/23/04 1:53 am)
Reply | Edit | Del re:
SHOT IN THE FRONTIER (1954) is the film you're thinking of. The guitar eventually meets its demise in the hands of Moe, whereupon the old man pulls out a ukelele and continues his song while Moe does a slow burn. One of my favorite Stooge westerns due to its rich send-up of HIGH NOON. I bet Gary Cooper never thought of something as simple as turning back the clock hands in order to forestall the showdown.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Favorite shorts

Postby Shempchick on June 25th, 2005, 8:05 pm

My favorites are "Pop Goes the Easel" ("Oh Mother...I'm gonna tell father on you!"), "Brideless Groom" ("Can I help it I'm not Cousin Basil!") and "Corny Casanovas" ("I knew you were coming so I baked a cake!"). Actually, it's hard to name favorites when they are all masterpieces.

Long Live the Stooges !
The chick who LOVES Shemp (and Larry, Curly & Moe) !!
Shempchick
Pumpkinbrain

Postby MickeyMoe on June 27th, 2005, 4:07 pm

Of course all you mugs know my favorite episode is the one I get my name "MickeyMoe" from - "Three Loan Wolves". I am still amazed and laugh hyserically when I see how high Moe kicked when he knocked the mug's tooth out when he kicked him in the jaw!

Larry: "That's the Old Oaken Bucket I'm playin'!"

Moe: CRASH!!!!! (Smashes guitar over Larry's head!!)

Larry:"......WHERE'D THE WATER COME FROM!!???"

Moe: "THE OLD OAKEN BUCKET!!"
"They call me MICKEYMOE THE MURDERIN' MESSOUR....I'll show you some real mahem!!"
MickeyMoe
Moron

Postby Brighto Salesman on July 15th, 2005, 12:17 pm

I have found that my favories have changed as I have gotten older over the years. When I first discovered them (Popeye Theatre with Sally Starr in the 1950's) I watched every one I could get my hands (eyes) on; I had no favorites since they were all new to me. Then I only wanted to see the Curly episodes. As I got a little older I began to appreciate Shemp's comedic style a bit more. He was no Curly, but then again, who is?

One of my first favorites was Dizzy Doctors, in which the boys tried to sell Dr. Bright's Brighto in a hospital. Plenty of snappy one liners, the usual physical comedy, and my favorite part - raising a bedsheet as a sail on a gurney and racing away down the streets to eventually collide with a car and diving through a window and back into bed, right where they started. Beautiful.

Another good one was Cash and Carry. It stands out in my mind in part because in the scene where Jimmy and Sis discover that the tin can in which they've hidded money is missing, an unusually quiet and kind Moe hands it over, with a 'Here's your money, lady. We didn't know.' Nice to see that despite all the eye poking and face slapping, he had a big heart of gold. The others too!

My currect favorite is Playing the Ponies. The boys swap a restaurant for a sway backed race horse, Thunderbolt, who will only run fast to a source of water after being fed chili pepperinos. This fact is discovered when, in turn, Thunderbolt, Moe and Curly make a beeline to the water trough and drink every last drop. When Larry laughs at their misfortune and Moe shoves the rest of the pepperinos down his throat, he picks up a glass container and starts to drink from it. He spits it out and shouts 'THAT'S KEROSENE'!!! Priceless! What gets me the most is, the idea of Moe driving a motorcycle with Curly holding a pole with the water bucket on it just ahead of Thunderbolt carrying jockey Larry would almost make sense - in an alternate universe - given the 'soicumstances'.
Brighto Salesman
Pumpkinbrain

Favorite Episodes

Postby Lunkhead on July 17th, 2005, 5:40 pm

Those are all great ones. I especially like CASH AND CARRY because of the boys trying to do a good deed (even if they do blast into the US Mint :laugh1: )

P.S. I'm an old Sally Starr Popeye Theatre fan too Brighto. Weren't those afternoons after school great? Ah, the old days.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Uncle Phineas on April 4th, 2006, 5:59 pm

As my user name suggests, my favorite short is Gents in a Jam. Also high up on my favorites list are A Pain in the Pullman, Playing the Ponies, Grips Grunts and Groans, A Gem of a Jam, Pop Goes the Easel and Three Little Beers.

:shemp1:
Uncle Phineas
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Wilytank on September 27th, 2006, 6:53 pm

Let's see... Pain in the Pullman, Rockin' thru the Rockies, I'll never Heil Again, Ahhh what the heck there's too many to list! :manic: :gossip: :swords: :thwack: :lightbulb: :yikes: :eyegore1: :nerdman2: :mantan1: :curly6: :bluto: :dk: :kong1: :criz1: :hat:
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Return to Strictly Stooges