Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Stooges event at my church

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Stooges event at my church

Stoogemania anyone? Bring some boint toast and a rotten egg and get in for 1/2 price. Discuss the classic stylings of our favorite funnymen.

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Stooges event at my church

Postby moe-jo on May 5th, 2008, 2:10 pm

I doubt anyone is going to be in San Diego on May 18th, but if for some extraterrestrial circumstance you are, there is going to be a guy named Bob Perron, aka "The Stooge for Christ" because he looks like Curly, at my church. He will be doing some Stooges comedy (hopefully) plus, of course, some religious stuff. It starts at 6:00 PM (PT) in San Rafael Catholic Church's Parish Center at 17252 Bernardo Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92128.
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo
Mongoose

Re: Stooges event at my church

Postby Lunkhead on May 5th, 2008, 7:10 pm

That sounds pretty neat, moe-jo. I'm Catholic myself and would find that interesting. Unfortunately, I'm on the opposite side of the country. Have a good time though and let us know how it was.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Afa Dollah on May 8th, 2008, 2:11 am

Hey, that sounds like a lot of fun even for a heathen like me! :laugh1: I can't make it for this show, sorry to say, but it would be more realistic for me than Lunk since I'm just a few hours away in Tempe, AZ.

moe-jo, I've been to a meeting of the Saps At Sea Tent of the Sons of the Desert, which is the Laurel and Hardy fan organization there in San Diego. They meet in a church meeting hall, but a couple of times a year they actually have a guy play the big organ to accompany the movies. There is usually cake and punch, and they show some cartoons and other shorts by the Stooges (sometimes) and other classic comics. You and your friends or folks would enjoy the films. It is a very calm and safe group of people; I can post the contact information about the last meeting here.

http://www.wayoutwest.org/sandiego/

I will try to come up with some more current information, they meet every other month and they also send out THE HORN TESTERS JOURNAL which has all the information. As a fan of classic comedy, I hope you will make contact and attend their showings.

Then I always hit the Birch Aquarium at the Scripps Oceanographic Institute there when I visit San Diego. Simply amazing.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby moe-jo on May 8th, 2008, 9:12 am

wow, Afa, that's really cool. We don't go to Spring Valley that often, but when I get a car, I will be sure to pay a visit!

And yes, we talk about the Birch Aquarium and the SIO a lot in Oceanography. Here's something I'll bet you didn't know: SIO uses these tube-like ships to explore the ocean. A crew goes inside of the ship, and as the water depth changes, the ship moves around, so the ceiling of the ship when the crew first gets in could become the floor. Scary, eh? I wouldn't like to be in there!
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Afa Dollah on May 8th, 2008, 2:31 pm

I didn't know that, thanks for the information. I love the Birch, it's fascinating and they change the feature exhibit a few times a year. The one on seahorses was really cool. They had hundreds of different kinds, from really tiny ones to ones a foot long, all sorts of colors. I didn't know there were so many types of them. Even the sea dragons that look like kelp or plants; they were still there last time I went. I like the tide pool and the shark tank, too. And I always hang out for awhile with my buddy the giant octopus. And some time at the big tank. I always plan on a few hours at the Birch when I visit.
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby moe-jo on May 8th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Sadly, I haven't been to an aquarium since 3rd grade. I really want to see some great white sharks, some rays. I would really like to see some seahorses like you described. I think it's really cool the way they move. They gallop, like real horses, but they also glide through the sea water.

I think what really makes the ocean beautiful is the abundance of aquatic plants and algae. Also it's really pretty to see schools of silverfish swim by. Like in Finding Nemo. The scenery in that movie is really pretty. I also like the fact that as you look deeper and deeper into the ocean, the blue gets deeper and deeper. Of course, you would pop if you went down there without any protection, but I like how it's shown in the movie.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Afa Dollah on May 9th, 2008, 12:31 pm

In the ocean, colors fade out at about 30 feet and everything looks blue and green, no matter what color it is. Then it just gets darker. When I was on Cozumel, I took several snorkeling trips and got to see a lot of reef fish like sargent majors, barracuda (a lot of them, and one about four or five feet long, very close,) parrot fish (they eat coral,) blue runners, grunts, chubs, blue angel fish, a large spotted eagle ray, lots of smaller stingrays and even a sea turtle, which was very cool. Unfortunately I was out of film by then and didn't get a shot even though he was close. I think the deepest I went was about 20 feet, so the colors were great. The water there is so clear you can see about 120 feet around you as if there was no water. I was with some scuba guys, they went a lot deeper. I did look over the shelf when we were diving the Santa Rosa wall. That's where the bottom just drops off into the abyss. Into that deep, deep dark blue you mentioned where no light penetrates. It was an interesting feeling, floating in the Caribbean, no land in sight, the boat out of sight, looking down into the deepest, darkest depths and pondering all the things that are out there. Next time I'm there I'm going to take a night snorkel trip to see the things that come out at night like octopus, squid, lobster, crabs, eels and other things. All the daytime fish are still there, just sleeping by the coral. There is also bioluminescent plankton there, so you can move your hand through the water and they light up. From shore if you can find a dark place, you can see them light up as the waves break, the green light flashing all along the breakers.

I hope you can make it to the aquarium soon, I can't wait to go back. I've never been to Sea World out there, I might have to budget for that on my next trip over.
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby moe-jo on May 9th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Wow, that trip you took sounds really cool.

My Oceanography teacher used to work at SeaWorld. He told us this really funny story about this one lady that tried to climb over a fence and broke her leg. She sued SeaWorld and SeaWorld wasn't responsible. It was so funny.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on May 10th, 2008, 9:29 am

That sounds wonderful, Afa. Snorkeling is something I've always wanted to do, but haven't had the opportunity yet. Maybe someday. That must be such a cool experience.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on May 11th, 2008, 12:31 pm

I had the opportunity to go snorkeling in 7th grade, but then my mom was all, "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah"
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby moe-jo on May 19th, 2008, 9:22 am

well, Bob Perron aka the Stooge 4 Christ was really funny last night, but here's the scary thing: he looked JUST LIKE CURLY. Same hair. Same face. Everything. :yikes:

He didn't do much Stooges stuff though, though we did play the Curly Shuffle, in which we had to sit next to someone we didn't know. The first time around we told them about our favorite scars, and the second time around we told them whether we were a hand-flusher or a foot-flusher. It was fun, and he did say "soitenly" JUST LIKE CURLY (again: :yikes:). He didn't do "nyuk nyuk" though.

He told some really sad stories. Like this one story he told about this one kid who came to every one of his Confirmation sessions high. Then one day at a retreat Bob called the kid into his office and called his mom. His mom came in and the boy showed his mom the track marks he had gotten on his arm from shooting up. And his mom said "I love you and we're gonna get you help." And then he was at a Council meeting for his Youth Group and they were debating on which pipe organ to buy and the kid said "Why are we wasting money on a pipe organ when we could be feeding people?" That church now has a food kitchen that serves over 200 people a day.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Afa Dollah on May 19th, 2008, 1:24 pm

Well, that sounds pretty interesting. I'm sure it was worthwhile. :curly2:
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby moe-jo on May 19th, 2008, 5:15 pm

I was just talking about it with this girl in my Oceanography class who also attends my church. We were quoting the story he told about his son taking his dog for a walk. When his son came home, he was like, "Dad, I am AWESOME!" It's funny because he said Isaiah (his son) sounds like Mr. Miyagi (from Karate Kid).

And another funny thing. Bob was at Best Buy buying (no pun intended) a Three Stooges screensaver. A 17 or 18 year old kid picked up a screensaver, looked at it, looked at Bob, looked at the screensaver, looked at Bob, and said, "Dude...is that you?"

:laugh1:
moe-jo
Mongoose

Return to Strictly Stooges