Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Stuff that scared you

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Stuff that scared you

Stoogemania anyone? Bring some boint toast and a rotten egg and get in for 1/2 price. Discuss the classic stylings of our favorite funnymen.

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Stuff that scared you

Postby PhantomThylacine on February 16th, 2011, 4:47 pm

As a kid, was there ever a moment in a Stooges short that scared you? Even just mildly?
For me, it was these ones:
- The 'Russian Clock' from Spook Louder. It looks like a shrunken head!
- 'Angel', the hunch-backed, fanged (?) guy from Shivering Sherlocks.
- The robot thing from Have rocket, will travel. Well, at least I think it was a robot...it's been a while since I've seen Have rocket, will travel.
- Some of the more violent sequences...including the scene where a spike repeatedly stabs Moe's face: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jocRd-aajW0
Prolly more but I can't remember...curse my horrible memory! :thwack:

Today, I just think they're hysterical. But for some reason, that horse from Saved by the Belle still scares me. Seriously, that horse had the worse case of 'swayback' I have ever seen.
"So let me get this straight...you ran naked around an office building for an hour, beating people with a coffee pot?"
--Lu Ram, from the comic Nighthawk Dayhawk
PhantomThylacine
Pumpkinbrain

Re: Stuff that scared you

Postby Lunkhead on February 19th, 2011, 6:35 pm

Welcome to the board, PhantomThylacine. We haven't had a new member in quite some time and this place is pretty quiet now, but it's great that you joined. Maybe we can get a little resurgence in activity.

For some reason, the pie hanging from the ceiling in HALF-WITS HOLIDAY gave me the creeps. The way it slowly peals away threatening to drop. :laugh1:

Angel got me too, as well as Lupe from IDLE ROOMERS.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on February 19th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Lady.... "You act as if the sword of damocles is hanging over your head."
Moe.... "Lady, you must be psychic."

Welcome to the board, welcome to the mahem!
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby PhantomThylacine on February 21st, 2011, 8:46 am

Thanks, both of you! :D

For some reason, the pie hanging from the ceiling in HALF-WITS HOLIDAY gave me the creeps. The way it slowly peals away threatening to drop.
Angel got me too, as well as Lupe from IDLE ROOMERS

I suppose that scene could be kinda menacing...especially since Moe looks so terrified of it.
And I forgot all about Lupe. He and Angel could've been half-brothers.

Oh, I was talking to my brother, and he said that he used to be scared of Ted Healy! XD Especially in the short Nertsery Rhymes.
"So let me get this straight...you ran naked around an office building for an hour, beating people with a coffee pot?"
PhantomThylacine
Pumpkinbrain

Postby moe-jo on March 4th, 2011, 12:35 am

All of the more violent gags. Like all of the scissors on noses, etc.
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby PhantomThylacine on March 6th, 2011, 12:32 pm

All of the more violent gags. Like all of the scissors on noses, etc.

Yeah, the scissors-on-the-nose thing was quite painful looking...wasn't there one episode where Moe put a pair of scissors on Curly's tongue? Yeow. :uh_oh1:
PhantomThylacine
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkhead on March 6th, 2011, 8:07 pm

I'm wondering now if I even saw THEY STOOGE TO CONGA as a kid. Not sure if it was the full 190 set of shorts when I first watched them in the early '60s from Philadelphia. But has Phantom noted in the original post, some of those scenes would have likely creeped me out. How about Curly's nose on that grinding wheel? :yikes: And of course the climbing spike bit. OOOUUUCCCHHH!
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Return to Strictly Stooges