Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE: alternative title suggestions

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE: alternative title suggestions

Stoogemania anyone? Bring some boint toast and a rotten egg and get in for 1/2 price. Discuss the classic stylings of our favorite funnymen.

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE: alternative title suggestions

Postby Shemp Shady on September 26th, 2012, 11:31 am

A question for all you Stooge fans—especially lunkhead, as well as any other old Stooge-board vets who will be familiar with this kind of question.

We’ve had various discussions (at other sites) about the meanings of Stooge short titles and about better alternative titles for certain shorts, especially those whose meanings don’t seem to make much sense. One such short, AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE, is going to be featured this November at a Stooges film fest (whose theme is lost/found Stooges filming locations [e.g., the infamous ACHE stairs]). Since I was/am on a committee that selected shorts for this year’s festival, I volunteered to put together a survey of fans to get their views on alternative titles; thus, I'm seeking suggestions from you, the more elite and knowledgeable fans.

I don’t know whether any of you remember any previously suggested alternative titles—or even where any of the old threads might exist—but specifically put, the questions is:

If you had your druthers and could offer a more appropriate title for AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE, what would that title be?

Your suggestion can take the style/form of other Stooge short titles (such as A[N] XXXX IN EVERY XXXX, or THREE LITTLE XXXXs), or in the style of some other film, television show, album title, book title, or the like. Ideally, the suggested title should in some way relate to the general theme of the short; one or more aspects of the theme; or one or more scenes in the short; or, perhaps, a line from the film. For the winning entry, there may also be a may be a mock title card made, which will be shown at the fest in November.

Thus, if you have one or more suggestions, please offer them here. Also, if you know of any other potentially interested fans—in real life or at another fan board—it would be great if you could get some input from them, too. (Finally, rest assured that no one is benefiting financially from any suggestions offered.)

Many thanks for your assistance in this matter.
—shady
Shemp Shady
Pumpkinbrain

Re: AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE: alternative title suggestions

Postby Lunkhead on October 3rd, 2012, 8:26 am

Hi there, Shemp Shady! Been a long time. How've ya been? This board gets very little activity these days, but I still keep it around anyhow.

Best of luck with the festival. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun. I had a couple quick ideas, not great, but were the first to come to mind:

THE ICEMAN ALWAYS MELTS TWICE
A switch on THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE of course, but the problem is the first film version was in 1946 and ACHE is from 1941. The novel was published in 1934, so maybe it could qualify in that respect.

BOOBS AND CUBES
THREE COLD KOOKS

Like I said, not great, but I'll keep tryin to think and see if something happens. :wink:
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Shemp Shady on October 4th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Thanks, lunk, and nice to hear from you!

I really like your titles, especially BOOBS AND CUBES and THE ICEMAN ALWAYS MELTS TWICE. Those are both definitely in the running!
Shemp Shady
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkhead on October 10th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Thanks, Shady!
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on October 14th, 2012, 9:44 am

Shemp Shady wrote:Thanks, lunk, and nice to hear from you!

I really like your titles, especially BOOBS AND CUBES and THE ICEMAN ALWAYS MELTS TWICE. Those are both definitely in the running!

Hi there Shady, good to see you again.

"Ice Cube Cooks"

Yeah, that's always been one of my favorite shorts.

"Hey Moe, we forgot to allow for shrinkage!"

Oh yes, the sound effect when Moe smacks the ice block on Curly's head with the ax always kills me.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Return to Strictly Stooges