Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - #16 - A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN (1936)

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

#16 - A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN (1936)

The shorts and nothing but the shorts (Stooge shorts that is). Slowly we'll post - short by short, week by week. The current short is A DUCKING THEY DID GO

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

#16 - A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN (1936)

Postby Lunkhead on December 10th, 2005, 8:05 pm

A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN features the boys inflicting madness on a train. After learning they've been hired to perform in a new show, they hop on board with their pet monkey Joe in hope of success. The stooges continually upset the other passengers (especially heart throb actor Paul Pain), while Bud Jamison (Johnson) tries his best to control the mayhem. Every time he thinks things are finally calm, he retires to his bed only to be rudely awakened again (while banging his noggin on the ceiling of his small room). :laugh1: Needless to say Joe gets loose and causes as much trouble as the stooges. This short is another fine entry with lots of funny scenes. A couple of highlights are the crab eating scene, and when Curly inadvertently kisses a gal who's talking in her sleep.

Preparing to feast on the toitle, er crab.

Johnson!!!

Trouble in the star's drawing room.

I don't know your address...

Up, up and away

Cut to the quick

On the way to le boot...
(Note Joe still perched on the emergency stop chord)
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 22nd, 2006, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

not my fave

Postby Xenorama on December 11th, 2005, 7:54 pm

this is not one of my favorite Stooge shorts. i'm not a fan of monkeys. i like the dinner scene in this one, but that's about it. oh, and the beginning.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Re: not my fave

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on December 11th, 2005, 10:13 pm

Xenorama wrote: i'm not a fan of monkeys.

David

That monkey went on to Hollywood, got hooked on stereoids and was last seen on top of the Empire State building swatting at bi-planes clutching a hot babe.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Roid Rage

Postby Lunkhead on December 12th, 2005, 11:02 pm

I always wondered what made him so big!
:gorilla: :kong1:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

and smart

Postby Xenorama on December 13th, 2005, 1:02 am

and invented a time machine, since Kong was in 1933!

Xenorama Board
Xenorama
Daci's human

and related

Postby Lunkhead on December 13th, 2005, 12:43 pm

After much research, the Kong on steroids rumor appears to be just that – rumor. And the time travel theory was quickly squelched in a recent Martin Landau interview. However, recently released documents from a former RKO employee (now approaching his 94th birthday) reveal a true Hollywood secret which has been kept hidden all these decades. You’d better all sit down for this:

Turns out little Joe (featured in PULLMAN) is actually the GRANDSON of the great Kong! He escaped with Denham and Hilda on the dingy as Skull Island sank into the ocean. He lay hidden under a seat until discovered later by Denham, after their small boat was brought on board the ship that rescued them. Carl was so impressed with the little bugger, he immediately hatched another money-making scheme. They would tour Europe, billing him as PUNY JOE KONG, so that folks could stare in wonder at a relative of the infamous New York stomper! Carl was heard shouting in Hilda’s cabin, “We’re millionaires! I’ll share it with both of ya!” But to Denham’s dismay, the ship made port back in the states instead. Joe, fearing exploitation by Denham, ran from Carl and Hilda and escaped through a city alleyway. He stumbled upon Moe, Larry and Curly, who were looking for a hand-out, and quickly joined them. The boys loved Joe and decided to take him on (at least for the PULLMAN short).

Also note: Joe most likely did not play a part in Hilda’s original little monkey/song act. How could he? He was living on the island with Kong Jr.

Definitely confirmed: Joe is in no way related to Mr. Joseph Young of Africa, despite a strong, family resemblance.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on December 13th, 2005, 8:40 pm

Ok I get that, but what about "Curious George"?

Anyone notice how that little monkey hijacked this thread?
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

George the Animal

Postby Lunkhead on December 13th, 2005, 11:18 pm

Curious George seemed to make his first appearance a couple years after Kong, so who knows for sure?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread has sho gone crazy!
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on December 16th, 2005, 1:35 pm

Moe,,,,"I like these pointy things."

Curly,,,,"She don't know that it's a turtle!"

Joe the monkey,,,,"Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaouch!" after getting his tail cut off!
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby RedKing on February 10th, 2006, 8:50 am

I always liked this short. This one also had a behind the scenes "accident" of sorts. In the scene where the boys are eating the crab..er, toitle and Curly chows down on the shell, well, he was really chewing the crab shell and he cut his mouth up pretty bad. Anything to get the shot i guess! The pompous heart throb with the toupee is funny as well. Who is that actor? He's in alot of early Stooges shorts. The ending with the boy's stunt dummies riding off into the distance on the backs of angry bulls was used as a homage to the boys in an episode of REN AND STIMPY, RUBBER NIPPLE SALESMEN I think in 1991. Ren and Stimpy creator John Kricfalusi is a big Stooges fan.
Moe: "What are you-an idiot, an imbecile, a moron?"
Larry:"I'll give you 10 to 1 I'm in there someplace!"
RedKing
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkhead on February 10th, 2006, 8:56 pm

The pompous heart throb with the toupee is funny as well. Who is that actor? He's in alot of early Stooges shorts

James C. Morton, a talented character actor. I love how he keeps yelling "Johnson!!!", causing Bud Jamison to repeatedly bang his head in his berth.

He appeared in the following stooge shorts and probably would have done more had he not passed away in 1942:

Pardon My Scotch
Hoi Polloi
Ants in the Pantry
Disorder in the Court
A Pain in the Pullman
Dizzy Doctors
The Sitter-Downers
Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb
Three Little Sew and Sews
We Want Our Mummy
Dutiful But Dumb

He also worked with Laurel & Hardy, W.C. Fields and the "Our Gang" kids.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby RedKing on February 14th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Ah, I knew I'd recognize the name once you told me who he was. Dang, Mr. Morton sure worked some of the funniest teams and comedians in history! Lucky guy!! And I also agree 100% with you about how funny his constant yelling "Johnson!" causing Bud to bang his head is. That's one of the funniest things in this short, for me anyways, and it doesn't even involve the boys!
Moe: "What are you-an idiot, an imbecile, a moron?"
Larry:"I'll give you 10 to 1 I'm in there someplace!"
RedKing
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Wilytank on September 7th, 2006, 7:42 pm

It's definetly one of my favorite episodes.
A 9 out of 10.
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN (1936)

Postby Xenorama on March 17th, 2008, 1:08 am

while the new one looks great, it still isn't that funny to me. starts out strong, but really peters out toward the end.

Xenorama Board
Xenorama
Daci's human

Return to The Shorts