Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - #20 - GRIPS, GRUNTS AND GROANS (1937)

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

#20 - GRIPS, GRUNTS AND GROANS (1937)

The shorts and nothing but the shorts (Stooge shorts that is). Slowly we'll post - short by short, week by week. The current short is A DUCKING THEY DID GO

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

#20 - GRIPS, GRUNTS AND GROANS (1937)

Postby Lunkhead on May 21st, 2006, 6:25 pm

G, G & G is another favorite of mine. It's part of the Curly goes nuts when he hears/sees/smells something series. This time Sir Curlington gets crazy if he gets a whiff of perfume called Wild Hyacinth. That affliction comes in quite handy at the end of the short.

The story revolves around a champion wrestler named Bustoff, who befriends the stooges. His manager, a gangster type promoter, instructs the boys to keep his champ sober so he'll be able wrestle in a championship match. They fail miserably of course, and decide to plug in Curly to wrestle in his place.

The whole short is hilarious, but when Curly enters the ring it gets even better. His wrestling match is every bit as good as his boxing match in PUNCH DRUNKS, and in some ways even better. One of the funniest moments for me is when his opponent has him down and is twisting his leg by the ropes. Curly reaches out to a lady sitting close and grabs her sandwich and beer and starts to pig out. The lady tries to get her things back to no avail as Curly shoves her back by the forehead while making his high-pitched wail! :laugh1: The ending is great with Curly going totally berserk from Wild Hyacinth.

"Call the riot squad!"

"Will you gentlemen have desert?"

"Yea, another turkey!" ~ :moe1: :larry1: :curly1:

"Ya mean ya hit him with the locker too?!?!" ~ :moe1:
Last edited by Lunkhead on June 24th, 2006, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on May 22nd, 2006, 4:36 am

Moe,,,,"You mean you hit him with the locker too?"
Curly,,,,"I didn't do it, the locker did."

Mor,,,,"Pin him down!"
Curly,,,,"But I ain't got no pins."
Larry,,,,"Get him some!"

I like the series of Curly goes nuts when he hears/sees/smells something series. Curly has a choice in which foot he gets tickled to calm him down which was developed later into which cheese he gets to pick in the series.

This short cracks me up especially at the end where Curly is swinging the bell like a madman and there is a huge pile of victims knocked out. "For the love of Pete, call the riot squad!"

You know I've always wondered, is there an actual perfume named Wild Hyacinth?
...."I feel better already!"....
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on May 22nd, 2006, 7:29 pm

And doesn't Curly look great as a wrestler, with that crazy beard? :laugh6:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on May 22nd, 2006, 7:40 pm

is there an actual perfume named Wild Hyacinth?

There may have been a novelty item produced at some point, but a quick google search didn't produce any perfumes specifically named Wild Hyacinth. However, if you're looking to obtain the smell that drove Curly wild, you could order a candle => Wild Hyacinth Candle
Plus here are pictures of the wicked plant => WC Plant
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on May 22nd, 2006, 10:33 pm

Lunkhead wrote:However, if you're looking to obtain the smell that drove Curly wild, you could order a candle

Wow, 20 bucks for a candle, no wonder Curly went birzerk!

Did anyone notice the scene in the resturant where they tickle Curly's feet, pick him up and drag him across the room and his shoes are mysteriously back on his feet?
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

a wrestler

Postby Xenorama on May 26th, 2006, 11:41 am

there's a Wrestler- Amish something or other, who looks JUST Like Curley did in this short. he's still active on the circuit as well.
this is a fun one. how could people not see this and think wrestling wasn't being worked, even back then?

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkhead on May 26th, 2006, 8:57 pm

there's a Wrestler- Amish something or other, who looks JUST Like Curley did in this short

That's really cool. I love Curly's look as a wrestler.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby MoeHowardFan on June 14th, 2006, 9:23 pm

Lunkhead wrote:
there's a Wrestler- Amish something or other, who looks JUST Like Curley did in this short

That's really cool. I love Curly's look as a wrestler.

Like from "Punch Drunks"?
"Oh, darling. Leave you parents and fly away with me." -- Moe Howard
"Can we take our pet kitten with us?" -- Jim Perry
"Ooh, Can we? -- Myself
MoeHowardFan
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Wilytank on September 8th, 2006, 6:50 am

Another favorite episode!
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

GRIPS, GRUNTS AND GROANS (1937)

Postby Xenorama on June 3rd, 2008, 3:12 pm

just great. i love this short, and knowing a little about pro wrestling makes it even funnier. Curly would have done well if he had gone into that line of work.

i think this is the first hardcore match!
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Re: #20 - GRIPS, GRUNTS AND GROANS (1937)

Postby Lunkhead on June 3rd, 2008, 5:30 pm

I love how he goes bonkers at the end. The restored print looks great! :curly1:
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Re: #20 - GRIPS, GRUNTS AND GROANS (1937)

Postby bustoff on August 21st, 2009, 12:17 am

I love scenes when Moe doesn't initiate the violence. After Curly drops the dumbbells on Bustoff and knocks him out. Curly says "say a few syllables" and Larry loses it and chases Curly around.
bustoff
Pumpkinbrain

Return to The Shorts