Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - #8 - UNCIVIL WARRIORS (1935)

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

#8 - UNCIVIL WARRIORS (1935)

The shorts and nothing but the shorts (Stooge shorts that is). Slowly we'll post - short by short, week by week. The current short is A DUCKING THEY DID GO

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 2:17 am

Short #8 is set during the Civil War. The boys are Union soldiers on a spy mission to learn military secrets of the South. Operators 12, 14 & 15 become Lieutenant Duck, Sergeant Dodge & Major Hide to infiltrate the mansion of Southern Colonel Butts. During their stay, they help bake a cake with the Colonel's daughters which unknowingly includes a feather-filled pot holder. This results in a classic stooge eating scene where they cough up feathers. When Colonel (Bloodhound) Filbert arrives, he relentlessly questions Moe about Southern family members forcing Larry and Curly to exit and return in disguises. Curly (in drag once more) is hilarious as Mrs. Dodge. The stooges prove once more they can comically tackle history with the best of them.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 2:20 am

NOTE: THESE REPLIES ARE FROM THE LUNKHEAD'S ZONE EZBOARD

DangerkittyToTheRescue
Applehead
(2/27/05 11:15 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: #8 - UNCIVIL WARRIORS (1935)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Judith,,,,"This is my cake, I call it southern comfort."
Moe,,,,"Tastes more like southern comforter."

Moe,,,,"Hows your taste?"
Curly,,,,"Mine tastes like a mattress."
Moe,,,,"Want mine?"
Curly,,,,"Not now, I'm stuffed."

I hope that I got those quotes right, it's been years.
Man alive, I've just got to get a library, c'mon Spike TV! This just kills me not being able to watch the featured short.

Edited by: DangerkittyToTheRescue at: 2/27/05 11:16 am

Megaloman
Lamebrain
(2/27/05 5:47 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i forget if i have this on DVDr or not. this is the best Civil War one, isn't it?
http://megaloman.proboards24.com/index.cgi

Bruckman64
Grapehead
(3/1/05 5:19 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: UNCIVIL WARRIORS
Moves well and overall an inventive short. Fine examples of how to build and top gags in the "Charley who walks like this" running gag and the justly memorable scene where Larry and Curly disguise themselves as Capt. Dodge's relatives. Moe's attempts at a Southern accent are hilarious and give you a good idea what he must've sounded like onstage as one of Ted Healy's "Southern Gentlemen". "Dad?....Well he can't borrow any money from me, suh!" My favorite bit: the throwaway gag where Curly, in crinolines, pleads with Moe, "What have you done with my baby?" while simultaneously giving Moe the double ear-twist.

stoogefan65
Wiseguy
(3/2/05 4:32 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: UNCIVIL WARRIORS
Co. Butz,.."Gentlemen , meet Major Filbern. He's known as 'Bloodhound Filbern' , and he can smell a spy a mile away."

Curly , (to Moe ) ,.."I'm glad he can't smell'em any closer !!"

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(3/3/05 9:43 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: #8 - UNCIVIL WARRIORS (1935)

Quote:
this is the best Civil War one, isn't it?

Yes. There is also the lesser UNCIVIL WARBIRDS (1946).

Quote:
My favorite bit: the throwaway gag where Curly, in crinolines, pleads with Moe, "What have you done with my baby?" while simultaneously giving Moe the double ear-twist.

I love that too. Always funny seeing those rare moments when Curly gives Moe a dose of his own medicine.

Thomas Hedison
Applehead
(3/14/05 6:54 am)
I've always loved both Civil War shorts. I haven't seen the later one since the Famly Channel showed it in the early 1990's. These shorts makeme wonder how the boys would've handled a Revolutionary War short! There's always the references to it in "Back tyo the Woods" as well as their little joke about it in "Disorder in the Court":

Moe: What comes after 75?

Larry: 76.

Moe: That's the spirit!

Anyway, Bruckman64 mentioned the "Charley walks like this" gag, which was also done in the modern times short, "From Nurse to Worse", only it wasn't as much of a running gag in that one. I'm a big fan of running gags, so I like it
a little better here.

Another common running gag in the military shorts is the "hit the Stooge/other actor next to you as you salute" gag. I love it when Curly is the "low man", as they say, so he pulls a supporting actor in to hit as he salutes!

As funny as Curly in drag was, we can't forget Larry in disguise as Moe's dad. I always crack up a little when Moe and Larry exchange those looks as Larry is trying to get Moe to recognize him under the disguise. It's something about the way they do it.

DangerkittyToTheRescue
Applehead
(3/24/05 10:53 am)

Quote:
As funny as Curly in drag was, we can't forget Larry in disguise as Moe's dad. I always crack up a little when Moe and Larry exchange those looks as Larry is trying to get Moe to recognize him under the disguise. It's something about the way they do it.

I just watched the Three Stooges Movie and I busted up out loud because that was one of the bits that was in the movie where Moe kisses Curly with a chomp on the nose! Funny stuff.

Ok Lunkhead, is it time for a "Breath of Heather"?

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(3/26/05 10:04 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: #8 - UNCIVIL WARRIORS (1935)
Sorry about being late on these DK. Been pretty busy. PARDON MY SCOTCH will be up soon.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

UNCIVIL WARRIORS (1935)

Postby Xenorama on March 3rd, 2008, 1:20 am

the beginning of this one is a crack up, even.

anyone from the South would have known these birds was spies by the awful accents they put on. makes it even funnier!

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Return to The Shorts