Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - #27 - THE SITTER DOWNERS (1937)

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

#27 - THE SITTER DOWNERS (1937)

The shorts and nothing but the shorts (Stooge shorts that is). Slowly we'll post - short by short, week by week. The current short is A DUCKING THEY DID GO

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Postby Lunkhead on April 6th, 2007, 2:05 pm

The Sitter Downers

Review written by DangerkittyToTheRescue

This short is a favorite with many fans because it has lots of action and several great lines.

The Three Stooges want to marry their sweethearts, Corabell, Dorabell and Florabell, but their father, Mr. Bell, refuses to grant them permission so the boys go on a sit down strike. As they set up "strike camp" in the middle of Mr. Bell's living room, the news of their plight spreads like wildfire and soon the boys are receiving fan mail and gifts including a lot and a prefabricated house. An exasperated Mr. Bell finally gives in and allows the boys to marry his daughters.

Upon arriving at their "new home", the boys discover that they must build it themselves. When they refuse, their wives stage their own sit down strike! No House, No Honeymoon! The boys decide to build their new home and that gives them the opportunity to play with dynamite with the usual stooge antics. After the boys have a little accident with their "firecrackers", Corabell rescues Curly from a tree upon listening to Curly yell, and later she destroys the new home - watch the planks rain down on everyone!

The set up in this short is that Curly repeatedly ends up on the short (and long) end of the stick. Moe and Larry, opening mail, discover lavish gifts while a disappointed Curly gets the gas bill. Moe and Larry relax on the couch, Curly sits down on spikes. This is the quintessential Curly short with Curly at his best.

Curly,,,,"We're not interfering with interstate commerce!"
Last edited by Lunkhead on May 13th, 2007, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on April 6th, 2007, 2:42 pm

Another nice review, DK. Thanks!

This is an extremely funny short which I enjoy a lot. I love the little train the stooges make at the beginning with the bikes and wagons, and whenever I see James C. Morton (Mr. Bell), I always bust out thinking about him and his tarantula toupee in DISORDER IN THE COURT.

Pretty funny how Curly's always ready with the appropriate sign - "THIS PLACE UNFAIR TO UNION SUITORS", and then later... "UNFAIR TO UNION HUSBANDS". He really is great in this short. I love his frustration when Moe keeps chasing Larry through the cement he's working with. Blowing the cement off his feet is another highlight.

Moe and Larry also shine here. So funny when Larry finds Moe's finger caught in the faucet and decides to take advantage by whacking him with a board. Moe chasing Larry relentlessly really cracks me up too.

"What's the idea of hittin' my sister-in-law with cement?" ~ :moe1: <<SMASHES CHUNK OF CEMENT OVER CURLY'S HEAD>>

"Why'd ya hit my brother-in-law?" ~ :larry1:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 6th, 2007, 8:28 pm

Moe chasing Larry through the cement twice, and the third time Curly goes and destroys the cement work himself!

You know, that Corabell swings a mean stick!
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

excellent

Postby Xenorama on April 6th, 2007, 11:43 pm

i never saw this one as a kid, but DID get to see it on the big screen a few years ago- it's ever so hilarious. it all works, though i'd have to think twice about marrying those women!

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Wilytank on April 7th, 2007, 6:25 am

I said right face!
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Re: excellent

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 7th, 2007, 5:09 pm

Xenorama wrote: it all works, though i'd have to think twice about marrying those women!

David

He was better off with the Stetson!
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on April 7th, 2007, 5:33 pm

Ha! :laugh1:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Wilytank on April 9th, 2007, 6:28 am

That nonsense with the dancing was funny.
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on May 6th, 2007, 12:54 am

I just love the terror yell that Curly screams out as he is falling from the tree, this kills me everytime. The other great Curly yell is in Cactus makes Perfect where he yells as he is falling down the "Lost Mine" shaft.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Xenorama on June 22nd, 2008, 10:17 pm

it's funny, and those women are scarier in HD!
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Re: #27 - THE SITTER DOWNERS (1937)

Postby moe-jo on June 23rd, 2008, 10:41 am

"I got Stetson. Which one is she?"

Is there any kissing in this short?
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo