Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - #33 - VIOLENT IS THE WORD FOR CURLY (1938)

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

#33 - VIOLENT IS THE WORD FOR CURLY (1938)

The shorts and nothing but the shorts (Stooge shorts that is). Slowly we'll post - short by short, week by week. The current short is A DUCKING THEY DID GO

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

#33 - VIOLENT IS THE WORD FOR CURLY (1938)

Postby Lunkhead on May 17th, 2008, 6:47 pm

Violent is the Word for Curly

Review written by DangerkittyToTheRescue

This short opens up with Moe, Larry and Curly as gas station attendant trainees. The boys just don’t know a thing about “Super Service” and quickly blow up an old Rolls carrying three foreign professors. The stooges race away in an ice cream truck that accidentally ended up with some of the professors’ luggage which is a coincidence as the boys needed a fresh change of clothes. Dressed up in professor’s caps and gowns, the boys are mistaken by the administrators at Mildew Girls College as their new instructors.

Our stooge professors teach the girls how to "Swing the Alphabet" and any stooge fan will tell you, once you hear that song, you’ll never forget it. Afterwards the girls get instructed on the finer points of playing basketball. Unbeknownst to all, the real professors are out for revenge and fill the ball with nitroglycerine hoping to blow the Stooges into smithereens. The plan backfires and the short definitely ends in a bang.

Two of my favorite scenes are where Curly is getting BBQed and where the girls take off singing like the Lennon Sisters.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Re: #33 - VIOLENT IS THE WORD FOR CURLY (1938)

Postby Lunkhead on May 17th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Great one!
Our stooge professors teach the girls how to "Swing the Alphabet" and any stooge fan will tell you, once you hear that song, you’ll never forget it.

So true - listen to it here => Alphabet Song

Curly's daughter, Janie, has mentioned this is her favorite stooge short.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on May 19th, 2008, 9:14 am

It's such a great song that I once considered forgetting my alphabet for a whole day of school and relearning it when I got home from school with the song. :laugh1:

Larry's violin solo at the end is really good, too. He's a really good violinist and I applaud him for that.
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on May 19th, 2008, 4:32 pm

In the old Nintendo version of The Three Stooges game, the Alphabet Song is heard playing in the background of a couple segments. I think when you're doctors racing through the hallway. It's just an electronic version of the song, but was still fun to hear there. I forget if they used it on the Nintendo Gameboy Advanced version - I don't think they did.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on May 19th, 2008, 5:17 pm

I've never played it, so don't ask me. Are you a gamer, Lunk?
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on May 19th, 2008, 9:19 pm

I used to play on the older systems. Not much on the new stuff though.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on May 20th, 2008, 11:41 am

play the Wii. It is AWESOME!
moe-jo
Mongoose

VIOLENT IS THE WORD FOR CURLY (1938)

Postby Xenorama on May 25th, 2008, 11:20 am

one of my faves- "Curly's a dope!". with 19 or so on the new set, this should be one of 'em!

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby moe-jo on May 27th, 2008, 9:17 am

what's going on in the pictures on the poster?
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on May 27th, 2008, 9:01 pm

They look like production photos. On the left, they're giving super service at the gas station. On the right, the the girl students are piled on top of the stooges (with Moe holding the basketball).

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on May 28th, 2008, 9:13 am

When I first saw the photo on the left, I thought the girls were giving the guys head massages, and I thought to myself, "Was that kind of thing even allowed in the movies back then?" :laugh1: Now I'm thinking, "Moe's not tall enough to play basketball!" :laugh1: Well, I mean, he could probably make a lay-up or an easy 2, but never a 3-pointer. :laugh1:
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Steve on June 12th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Two of my favorite scenes are where Curly is getting BBQed and where the girls take off singing like the Lemon Sisters.

Surely, you mean the Lennon Sisters?

I played "The Alphabet Song for my wife this morning and she absolutely LOVED it! She's a sucker for novelty songs, especially when they have nonsensical wordplay like that one does. I'm slowly converting her to the Stooge Way!

As for the rest of the short, I think that whole scene in the classroom is great, as is the blowing up of the professors. The first half merely okay.

I always thought the girls sang, "Girls, he's a dope".
"You're umbday in any language!"
Steve
Grapehead

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Surely, you mean the Lennon Sisters?

:embarassed: Oops. Thanks for pointing that out, Steve. I'm certain that's what DK meant, but we both missed it. I just fixed it.
I played "The Alphabet Song for my wife this morning and she absolutely LOVED it! She's a sucker for novelty songs, especially when they have nonsensical wordplay like that one does. I'm slowly converting her to the Stooge Way!

There ya go! :wink:

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

VIOLENT IS THE WORD FOR CURLY (1938)

Postby Xenorama on June 28th, 2008, 1:57 am

i love this short. i listened close, and it sure sounds like "Curly's a dope" to me. the shorts on the second set are a bit out of order, it seems, since this one is on the first disc, whereas "Three Missing Links", "Mutts to You" and "Flat Foot Stooges" all round out 1938 on the second disc.

not that it's a big deal, really.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby jka12002 on July 21st, 2008, 7:01 pm

i was going to post something about the alphabet song.

If Curly is supposed to be a professor AND not once does he says his name, how do the girls automaticaly know his name?

i sense a plot mistake here
jka12002
Moron

Next

Return to The Shorts