Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - #37 - WE WANT OUR MUMMY (1939)

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

#37 - WE WANT OUR MUMMY (1939)

The shorts and nothing but the shorts (Stooge shorts that is). Slowly we'll post - short by short, week by week. The current short is A DUCKING THEY DID GO

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

#37 - WE WANT OUR MUMMY (1939)

Postby Lunkhead on April 19th, 2009, 7:22 pm

We Want Our Mummy (1939)
director: Del Lord

Review written by Xenorama

Professor Tuttle has been kidnapped, which makes people believe it's the curse of Rootentooten. The three best investigators have been called in to find him- enter our heroes. The boys get sent to Cairo to recover the mummy for $5,000! If they fail, it will be a benefit to humanity, so there's a win-win situation. The tomb is appropriately dank and comes complete with a spooky voice and a strange clawed monster- or so the tombsters would have us believe!

This is possibly the first comedy with a mummy. There's a good gag with the prof in a box which causes Moe some pain. Curly wants to go to Tunis for tuna sandwiches for lunch, and then swims in a mirage, despite cars being kept there. It's a fine bit with him, letting him go all out for a few minutes. He also gets a good gag with an echo as well.

The whole shtick brings to mind every possible Scooby Doo cartoon made- "I'd have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those "Stooges!"

"Boy, was he homely."
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Re: #37 - WE WANT OUR MUMMY (1939)

Postby Lunkhead on April 19th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Thanks for the great review, David. Sorry it took me so long to post it. This is a really fun short. I like all the ones where they're involved with monsters, spooks, gorillas, etc. I quite enjoy the look of that mummy and Curly's turn as the semi-bandaged king.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

WE WANT OUR MUMMY (1939)

Postby Xenorama on April 19th, 2009, 8:57 pm

it's better than i thought it was! the review, i mean. should have kept it a day longer, but i'm my own harshest writing critic.
thanks for the great photos to go with it!
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkhead on April 20th, 2009, 6:12 am

You're welcome. You did a great job! Looking forward to more.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby tugboat on June 27th, 2009, 11:43 am

This is one of my favorite shorts.
If you take a good look at the set you can see a big effort was made in the props and setting as opposed to the previous ones . could it be that Columbia was finding out what they had in these three???!!!
tugboat
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkhead on June 27th, 2009, 11:53 am

A really fun short. I enjoy the sets in this one too.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on June 30th, 2009, 4:47 pm

The masks they wear at the beginning creep me out, but what I've seen of it is funny.
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on February 20th, 2011, 1:32 pm

I think we're a little behind on the next short. :embarassed:

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby PhantomThylacine on February 21st, 2011, 8:53 am

Ah, I recently rewatched this short. It was immensely entertaining...especially when Curly spots the hole in the floor, exclaims "That thing's dangerous!" and solves the problem by covering it with a rug (that gag never gets old!) Also, the scene in the beginning with the masks reminds me of that one scene with Chico and Harpo from the Marx Bros' Duck Soup.

I think we're a little behind on the next short.

Is it A Ducking they did go?
"So let me get this straight...you ran naked around an office building for an hour, beating people with a coffee pot?"
--Lu Ram, from the comic Nighthawk Dayhawk
PhantomThylacine
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkhead on February 24th, 2011, 8:55 am

when Curly spots the hole in the floor, exclaims "That thing's dangerous!" and solves the problem by covering it with a rug (that gag never gets old!

I always love that bit.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Return to The Shorts