Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - #13 - MOVIE MANIACS (1936)

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

#13 - MOVIE MANIACS (1936)

The shorts and nothing but the shorts (Stooge shorts that is). Slowly we'll post - short by short, week by week. The current short is A DUCKING THEY DID GO

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

#13 - MOVIE MANIACS (1936)

Postby Lunkhead on July 31st, 2005, 9:46 pm

Image Image
Short #13 features the boys wanting to hit it big in pictures. They hop a train headed for Hollywood and upon arrival, are mistakenly given complete reign over a movie studio. Madness begins as they take over a romantic production.

Two scenes are usually missing from this short - the kissing demonstration and when Curly and Larry handle actors as puppets. The scenes were considered a bit risqué when the shorts were first released to television, and the cuts remained through the years due to certain prints. The version I viewed was from Comcast Cable's On Demand feature and I was pleased to finally see these scenes. Curly doing his finger snaps from behind the actress is hysterical, as well as his passing out after a major smooch.

MOVIE MANIACS has really grown on me. It has many great lines and moments, such as Curly's ever-growing pencil and the puppets bit. Now that I've finally seen what I believe is the unedited version, I appreciate it even more.

"You wouldn't hit me like that if I were Gable." ~ :curly1:

"Na, I'd hit you like this." ~ :moe1: SMACK!!

"Oh, Mutiny in the boxcar!" ~ :curly1:

"We don't know anything about making pictures." ~ :curly1:

"There's a couple thousand people in pictures now know nuthin about it. Three more won't make any difference." ~ :moe1:

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin til ya do suck seed!" ~ :curly1:

=====================================================
Image Image
After coming upon studio, "CARNATION PICTURES FROM CONTENTED ACTORS",
the stooges are quickly put in charge.

Looking important

Woo! Woo! Woo!

Image Image
Under Moe's orders, Larry & Curly try to show these puppets how to put
action behind their words.

The replacements :laugh1:

"They don't appreciate our kind of genius."

Image Image
Exit stage right, unfortunately right into a lion's den!
Last edited by Lunkhead on September 17th, 2005, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

cut?

Postby Xenorama on August 1st, 2005, 5:29 pm

what is cut from the short?

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

the cuts

Postby Lunkhead on August 1st, 2005, 6:20 pm

It's kind of strange. Depends on the particular print. The scene where the boys try to demonstrate a proper kiss with the girl extras is one. The other is when Larry and Curly have their hands behind the actor and actress working them like puppets. Curly sticks a bill in the top of the actress' dress. The scenes aren't daring at all today, but back when the shorts premiered on TV in the late '50s, those 2 scenes were cut from a collection of prints because they were deemed inappropriate for children. When I saw the short on AMC, it was one of those prints which are still in circulation. Now the one I got from Comcast's On Demand Stooges included the 2 scenes. It's hit or miss which version turns up.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on August 1st, 2005, 9:25 pm

Well folks, you just wouldn't believe it!

Spike TV just aired Movie Maniacs today!

That scene is where Larry pulls the money from the actors pocket hands it to Curly, he folds it and sticks it into the actress' blouse. It looked like it went further than just the blouse but I didn't say that.

Curly,,,,"Cetainly, I'm sound asleep."
Moe,,,,"Then why are you talking?"
Curly,,,,"I'm talking in my sleep!" bonk ouch

Fuller Rath,,,,"See that they have everything that they need."
Assistant,,,,"I'll order three blonde secretaries."

Larry,,,,"A bad ending is a good beginning."

Gentleman,,,,,"I quit".
Moe,,,,"You can't quit"
Gentleman,,,,,"And why not?!"
Moe,,,,,"Because you're fired"!
Curly,,,,"You can't fire him"
Moe,,,,,"And why not?!"
Curly,,,,,"He quit"!

This short isn't one of my favorites but it sure had alot of great lines in it.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkhead on August 2nd, 2005, 6:04 pm

Fuller Rath,,,,"See that they have everything that they need."
Assistant,,,,"I'll order three blonde secretaries."

Good one DK!!

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Movie Maniacs

Postby Double Deal Decker on August 8th, 2005, 8:06 am

Isn't this the short where Moe says to the "director" ,..."Swinehart , Pillhart, Fillhart. Who cares !! We'll make it like that." ? I'm not sure my quote is exactly correct , as I have not seen this one in a long time.
Double Deal Decker
Pumpkinbrain

Movie Maniacs

Postby Lunkhead on August 8th, 2005, 7:36 pm

That's the one. The quote is pretty close, but after checking it, it sounds like Moe says, "Sweinhardt , big heart, pig heart, heartburn... Who cares?! We'll make it like that." That's if I'm hearing it right.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Double Deal Decker on August 10th, 2005, 9:05 am

I kinda thought that was the short. Gotta try to see it again soon.
Double Deal Decker
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Umday on August 10th, 2005, 8:21 pm

On the train
Larry - I wonder who all this furniture belongs to.
Moe - If the cops catch us you'll find out.
Umday
Grapehead

Postby Umday on September 5th, 2005, 5:42 pm

Ain't I lookin more & more like Barrymore! :curly1:
Umday
Grapehead

Postby Wilytank on September 8th, 2006, 2:56 pm

Train scene is very funny. An 8 out of 10.

:larry1: You can't quit!

And why not?!

:moe1: CAUSE YOUR FIRED!

:curly1: You can't fire him!

:moe1: Why not?

:curly1: He quit!
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

MOVIE MANIACS (1936)

Postby Xenorama on March 17th, 2008, 1:04 am

this one also has some nice jabs at the movie industry.
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Return to The Shorts