Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - KING KONG (1933)

KING KONG (1933)

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

KING KONG (1933)

Postby Lunkenstein on November 27th, 2005, 1:13 pm

As always, there's lots to say about this classic and it's about time we had a thread on the big boy. I was wondering if anyone else picked up the new DVD. I got the special set from Best Buy and it's fantastic.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

looks great

Postby Xenorama on December 3rd, 2005, 8:32 pm

this set looks great, that's for sure. i'm also gonna pick up the two Japanese Kong movies.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

King Kong

Postby son of metaldams on December 7th, 2005, 2:26 pm

I'm cutting back on my DVD and CD buying for financial reasons, but one of these days I'll get around to that KING KONG DVD set. As for the movie, of course I've seen it, several times in fact. One of the true classics, and if I ever overuse the term "classic," here I really mean it. There's so much dread and doom in that jungle, as the sets are awesome (also check out THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME, which I believe uses the same jungle). The fight scenes between Kong and the dinosaurs are highlights, as is Fay Wray, who is definitely on my top three golden age Hollywood beauties. She could act too, more than just looks.
son of metaldams
Pumpkinbrain

the king

Postby Lunkenstein on December 10th, 2005, 10:23 am

It's been my favorite giant monster movie since about age 6. The first creatures that fascinated me were dinosaurs (before getting into monster movies later). My sisters took me to a double feature of JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH + THE LOST WORLD (1960). They even bought me a few plastic dinosaurs afterward! Then my mother took me to see GORGO which was another affecting experience. There atop the old FOX Theater in Philly was the huge head of Gorgo! That was a cool marketing idea. It was around this same time I first saw KING KONG and I was forever hooked. A couple years later, President Johnson interrupted a broadcast of KONG and I was furious! He made me miss Kong's capture! At that point, I'd probably only seen the film a couple times. It's impossible to guess how many viewings since.

So many memorable moments in Kong - magic from start to finish. The fight with Rex, the log scene, the rampage in New York, etc, etc... Plus all those great characters. Robert Armstrong's Denham in KONG & SON is so enjoyable (and as O'Hara in JOE YOUNG). Metal, I totally love Fay too! What a gorgeous, wonderful lady she was. Finally saw THE VAMPIRE BAT last year and yes - what a doll as a natural brunette.

The new DVD sets are wonderful. They really did it right. The only thing lacking is the amount of input from Fay, but that's a sad timing issue I guess. The DVD extras it has about the film and its creators are great, and the films themselves have never looked better.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Lunkenstein on April 5th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Here's a little something I just came up with:

Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Lunkenstein on April 21st, 2007, 9:23 pm

Some more fiddling around...

Just felt like having some fun with PhotoShop. Went for an artsy in-your-face look. I've never seen (nor want to) the colorized movie version which was floating around in the '80s.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

that

Postby Xenorama on April 22nd, 2007, 11:47 am

that is actually close to the colors they chose, except they had Dunham wearing pastels and horrid colors like that (so popular in the early 30s).

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 2nd, 2008, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Return to Double Chiller Theater