Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - The Phantom Planet

The Phantom Planet

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

The Phantom Planet

Postby Xenorama on June 11th, 2005, 1:27 am

how about this unusual film? picked it up on a three movie DVD with some other Phantoms. a ship lands on a planetoid and the astronaut shrinks down, has to battle some monster (played by Richard Kiel) and then leaves.
saw this as a kid, so i am looking forward to it.

plus, i wanted to be the first to post here!

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

The Phantom Planet

Postby Lunkenstein on June 11th, 2005, 5:27 pm

There ya go. I also saw this as a kid and then again in the '80s. Not sure if it's on one of my old tapes, but will eventually get the DVD. The monster was pretty cool as I recall, similar to the mutant in THIS ISLAND EARTH. Let us know what you think after re-watching, and I'll check my tapes to see if I have it.
:frankenstein1:
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

it's cool

Postby Xenorama on June 11th, 2005, 5:32 pm

i finished it earlier today, and out of the three it's probably the best movie. it had the best effects, and some unique looking ones, plus a cool idea for the movie.

you can find the three pack about anywhere, under the title "Phantom Menacers" or Alpha has it available on it' own disc for about $5 at Fry's. it's just a cool movie from a time when they would try for something different to hook the audience, not just some product to sell toys with.

or am i being too cynical? :laugh1:

David

Xenorama Board
Xenorama
Daci's human

it's cool

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 12:48 am

Not at all. Unfortunately, that's how things are today.

Glad you enjoyed seeing the film again. Could swear I have it on tape somewhere. We'll see.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

true

Postby Xenorama on June 12th, 2005, 2:14 am

yeah, it's a fun movie. the DVD is good, looks nice and sounds good.

Xenorama Board
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Afa Dollah on June 13th, 2005, 1:00 pm

I remember this one, I think I spotted it at Frys the other day when I picked up the VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED/CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED combo. (Could there be a review on the way?) Phantom Planet is a decent B flick for sure.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

SHRINKING HEROES

Postby Preston on February 17th, 2006, 6:13 pm

This thread on PHANTOM PLANET reminds me of an obscure TV-series called WORLD OF GIANTS. And do NOT confuse that series with LAND OF THE GIANTS which was quite different as it dealt with a whole GROUP of diminutive-sized humans. On the other hand, WORLD OF GIANTS was a series about a LONE person who shrank. For me, it's more interesting if it's just a LONE person who's shrunken because it makes him much more unique. In other words, one of a kind. Also in this series, Marshal Thompson uses his Abnormal size as a Secret Agent. I wish I could see this series, but have never found any copies, even on vhs.

My interest in that series stems from the fact that one of my favorite superheroes during the 1960s was THE ATOM who could shrink down to six inches. The ADVANTAGE of the ATOM is that he can control his size, so he can become Normal-size at any time, whereas in Marshal Thompson's TV-series, he is STRANDED at shrunken size. But that Abnormality still comes in handy when applied to espionage in which it is used for infiltration, etc.

So has anyone of you seen that obscure tv-series and can comment?
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkenstein on March 13th, 2006, 11:00 pm

WORLD OF GIANTS

Wow Preston, I don't remember that show at all. Don't know how I missed it, cause I like Marshall Thompson and surely would have dug it. Was it a very short-lived series?

Concerning the shrinking people genre, it's been done quite well in many films, but for me, the ultimate will always be THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN (1957). That film really touches a nerve, and I loved reading Richard Matheson's novel (on which the movie is based) as well. C'mon Universal! - release it to DVD NOW PLEASE!!! Actually, I think that may happen soon. <<Fingers crossed>> I'll post a SHRINKING MAN thread eventually. It's one of my very faves!!
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Lunkenstein on March 13th, 2006, 11:02 pm

P.S. I managed to pick up THE PHANTOM PLANET a couple months back on a multi-disk scifi set. It really is a pretty fun flick and I liked seeing it again.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to Double Chiller Theater