Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951)

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951)

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951)

Postby Lunkenstein on July 22nd, 2006, 7:22 pm

Well, I just couldn't hang in waiting for a re-release with extras. Had to complete my DVD trilogy of what I consider the top 3 sci-fi films of the early '50s, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, THE THING and WAR OF THE WORLDS. I recently bought the DVD at Suncoast for $9.99.

THE THING is always amazing and a joy to watch. It goes back to my early days of Monster Kidism. I love the cast, the over-lapping dialogue and Dimitri Tiomkin's outstanding score. The build up to each encounter remains very suspenseful, even after all these years. I also love the eerie sounds the Thing makes. Those growls and howls are blood curdling and other-worldly. I don't believe I've ever heard them recycled anywhere else. I introduced my 13 year old twins to this last weekend and they said it was really good. My daughter especially liked the comments by Scotty such as, "Let me get a picture before some one makes a salad out of him." A great, landmark film.

Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

agreed

Postby Xenorama on January 13th, 2007, 12:19 am

while it certainly bears scant resemblance to the original story, the movie is just great. the "remake" is far closer to that story, and a pretty decent movie as well, but i enjoy this one a lot more.

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on January 13th, 2007, 2:28 pm

When I first saw the '82 remake during its initial release, I thought it was overdone with too many effects, but came to appreciate it much more after subsequent viewings. The tension really builds as they're trying to figure out who is still human. I read at least the short story version of "Who Goes There?" years ago in Famous Monsters, and I agree the '82 film is much closer to it. I now feel both versions are classic with their own different approaches.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Afa Dollah on January 24th, 2007, 3:33 pm

A GREAT movie. One of my favorites. And one of my favorite scenes is the Thing growing more Little Things in those trays using blood. Bwa ha ha!! In many ways, the two films are different enough and really stand apart in my mind, even though based on the same story. In the old one, the monster is definitely not disguised as a person, other than as James Arness in a big carrot suit. And it's breeding separately, not taking over the images of others and spreading that way. Anyway, this is one case I was not disappointed in the remake. As you say, it is closer to the original story. Dang! I may have to scrounge up my copies of each to watch them now.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkenstein on January 24th, 2007, 7:11 pm

And one of my favorite scenes is the Thing growing more Little Things in those trays using blood.

"Like the sound of a newborn child, that's hungry." - Brrr! That always creeped me out, but I love it too.

It's nice having the original on DVD now, even though the only extra is the trailer. Still, it does feature a nice print. I also have the '82 THING taped from cable back in the '80s, but I'll be upgrading that too at some point. I'm a real junkie with this stuff!
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Afa Dollah on January 25th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Isn't it great that all these classics are finally out on dvd? I'm going to check out this flick's availability next time I'm over at the giant electronic store. Last time I saw some of those 50 Classics on 10 dvd's or whatever, but haven't decided whether to take the plunge.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkenstein on January 25th, 2007, 9:57 pm

Isn't it great that all these classics are finally out on dvd?

It sure is. As the majority of today's television programs turn me off, it's so nice to go back and relive how TV used to be, whether it's a good old B&W flick or vintage television series. I'm totally hooked, but my DVD spending sprees have to go on hold for the moment until I'm back to work. But then... right back to my evil ways!! :evil:

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to Double Chiller Theater