Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Universal Sci-Fi Flicks

Universal Sci-Fi Flicks

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

Universal Sci-Fi Flicks

Postby Xenorama on September 22nd, 2006, 2:27 pm

just picked up this five movies on 3 DVD set "exclusive" to Best Buy
today, and i can't wait to watch THE MONOLITH MONSTERS, THE MOLE PEOPLE and TARANTULA again. the others i like, but am not super glad to see them. in fact, i recently watched most of THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN and can't recall if i've see MONSTER ON CAMPUS, but i am sure they are fun.

SHRINKING MAN is held in such high regard that i am surprised it
didn't get it's own disc with tons of commentaries and such.

anyway, great price. they included some useless BATTLESTAR GArLACTICA thing, but i know who to give that to. some people are complaining about the cover or lack of extras, seems like they forget it's the
movies that are important. yeesh.

here's hoping it sells well, and we get second set with the rest of Universal's b/w movies!

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on September 22nd, 2006, 6:20 pm

Thanks for posting this Megs. I intended to mention it here and at Xenorama, but forgot. I found out about the set over at the Classic Horror board in late August. Originally, Best Buy said it would cost $29.99 and hit the street on 9/19, but if you pre-ordered it online, it would cost just $19.99. So, I went ahead and did that on 9/1. Well, they snookered me. The set indeed hit the stores on 9/19, but at the already reduced pre-order price of $19.99. In other words, no savings. It actually cost me more because shipping brought it to over $23.00. But the worst part is my set still has not arrived! I've been tracking the order online and it's dragging. I'm really aching for this as TARANTULA and SHRINKING MAN are two of my all time favorites. In fact, I love all the films in the set. Haven't seen MONOLITH MONSTERS in a long time either. If you've never seen MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS, I think you're going to enjoy it.

As for Best Buy, I'll know better next time.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Lunkenstein on September 23rd, 2006, 9:41 am

Yippie!! My set just arrived. Now I can stop being whiney heiny (unless I find any disk playback problems [fingers crossed]). I'll probably watch a couple later today. My wife loves THE MONOLITH MONSTERS, so we'll cue that up tonight with the kids.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Lunkenstein on September 2nd, 2007, 12:24 pm

David and Afa, you're probably aware but there are 2 more Universal Best Buy exclusive sets coming out shortly.

Release date: 9/11/2007:

THE CLASSIC SCI-FI ULTIMATE COLLECTION VOLUME 2:

DR. CYCLOPS (1940)
CULT OF THE COBRA (1955)
THE LAND UNKNOWN (1957)
THE DEADLY MANTIS (1957)
THE LEECH WOMAN (1960)

Release date: 10/2/2007:

UNIVERSAL HORROR CLASSIC MOVIE ARCHIVE:

THE BLACK CAT (1941)
MAN MADE MONSTER (1941)
HORROR ISLAND (1941)
NIGHT MONSTER (1942)
CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN (1943)

These are not available for pre-order online. A trip to Best Buy will be necessary. The lack of marketing is bizarre for these. I wouldn't even have known they were coming out except for reading about them at the Classic Horror Film Board. I'd also recommend gobbling them up right away as last year's CLASSIC SCI-FI ULTIMATE COLLECTION VOLUME 1 set went OOP within a few months and is now going for hundreds of dollars on ebay.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Monolith Monsters?

Postby Afa Dollah on September 4th, 2007, 1:57 pm

Wow, some great flicks there. I think I remember MONOLITH MONSTERS, but I'm not sure. Is that about giant crystals that grow really fast, then fall over and the pieces all grow again? I remember something about them moving down this valley and crushing towns and everything else in their path. Perhaps if I get this job at Fry's Electronics I will be able to use my killer employee discount to get some movie sets. Should hear something today sometime. (crosses fingers)
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

OK

Postby Xenorama on September 4th, 2007, 3:13 pm

the second set is OK- mostly i only want two movies, THE LAND UNKNOWN and THE DEADLY MANTIS.

there's also a Sam Katz set coming out, with THE GIANT CLAW, THE WEREWOLF and two others. not sure when though.

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenorama Board
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on September 4th, 2007, 6:21 pm

the second set is OK- mostly i only want two movies, THE LAND UNKNOWN and THE DEADLY MANTIS.

Those are the two I want most as well. DR. CYCLOPS is pretty good also. I think THE LAND UNKNOWN may be released in widescreen. I love that T-REX! The horror set has a couple good ones I haven't seen since I was a kid - MAN MADE MONSTER and NIGHT MONSTER. I'm pretty much a Universal junkie so I'm really looking forward to these sets.
Wow, some great flicks there. I think I remember MONOLITH MONSTERS, but I'm not sure. Is that about giant crystals that grow really fast, then fall over and the pieces all grow again? I remember something about them moving down this valley and crushing towns and everything else in their path. Perhaps if I get this job at Fry's Electronics I will be able to use my killer employee discount to get some movie sets. Should hear something today sometime. (crosses fingers)

Afa, the films David mentioned in the beginning of this thread are from the first Universal Sci-Fi set which was released last September (2006). You're right about THE MONOLITH MONSTERS - it's the film you're thinking of and it's a goodie. The set itself was great - but the sad part is it's already out of print. Universal struck a deal with Best Buy and released it only to their stores with (I'm assuming) a limited amount of stock. They also released some briefly to Amazon.com afterward, but those too sold out fast. Remarkably, they stopped producing more stock and the set went out of print in less than a year - a totally baffling marketing strategy IMO, especially considering the set contained classics like THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN and TARANTULA. You can only get the first set off ebay now - and at ridiculous prices averaging $100. That stinks for fans. Why couldn't they keep producing these for a longer time? They surely could have sold more. Now this year, they're doing it again. The 2 new sets I mentioned above (The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection Volume 2 and Universal Horror Classic Movie Archive) are also going to be Best Buy exclusives. I recommend buying them right away in case they go OOP fast too, which sounds very likely.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Lunkenstein on September 4th, 2007, 6:29 pm

there's also a Sam Katz set coming out, with THE GIANT CLAW, THE WEREWOLF and two others. not sure when though.

I'll be getting that one too. I love THE WEREWOLF and THE GIANT CLAW (had both on 8mm film back in the '60s). The set comes out on October 16, 2007. It will feature these 4 films: The Giant Claw / Creature with the Atom Brain / Zombies of Mora Tau / The Werewolf
Here's the link to it on Amazon.com where it can be pre-ordered for $17.49 => Sam Katzman set

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Lunkenstein on September 16th, 2007, 7:34 pm

David, did you get the second Universal Sci-Fi set yet? I got mine last Wednesday. It's pretty fun. I've watched THE DEADLY MANTIS, THE LAND UNKNOWN and THE CULT OF THE COBRA so far. Nice prints, but the one used for MANTIS could have been better. I've read it's not the right aspect ratio - cropped or whatever. Still glad to have these though.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

yep

Postby Xenorama on September 16th, 2007, 8:09 pm

i did pick it up last Tuesday, but haven't watched it. is MANTIS matted at 1.85:1? that was pretty standard projection by the mid-50s, if they weren't shot in true widescreen. i've just had too much to watch and with the book writing i don't have that much time.

probably will watch some this week.

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenorama Board
Xenorama
Daci's human

Return to Double Chiller Theater