Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - THE BLACK ROOM (1935)

THE BLACK ROOM (1935)

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

THE BLACK ROOM (1935)

Postby Lunkenstein on October 26th, 2006, 12:22 pm

It’s always fun rediscovering films you haven’t seen since you were a kid. For me, it had been over 40 years since I saw THE BLACK ROOM on Double Chiller Theater out of Philadelphia. I vaguely remembered Boris as the good and evil twins, but what stayed with me all those years was a line of dialogue from early in the film. I always recalled it as “There will be no black room”. In reality it is “There won’t be any black room”. I’d remembered there was some kind of curse to the room, but that was about it.

So, finally getting to see this again on the new “Boris Karloff Icons of Horror Collection” was a treat. I’d read of the film’s favorable reputation and it did not disappoint. Boris is simply great in the dual roles of Anton and Gregor, and the split screen technique works very well here, allowing them to interact flawlessly. His work in this film ranks up with his best and further showcases his talent as an actor. The tale of inevitable doom is well written and pulls you in from the start, but Boris’ characterizations raise it to a whole new level. The sets are impressive and add to the foreboding atmosphere. The film is beautifully scored and Roy William Neill does a fine job directing. The supporting cast is also good which includes the lovely Marian Marsh (SVENGALI) and Thurston Hall. Look also for a brief role by Edward Van Sloan. This classic is a must for all Karloff fans, and I am so glad it is now part of my collection.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

The Black Room

Postby son of metaldams on December 4th, 2006, 10:40 pm

First off, Marian Marsh, who indeed was extremely beautiful and a joy to watch in SVENGALI and THE BLACK ROOM, passed away a few weeks ago.

I too saw THE BLACK ROOM on the new Karloff DVD set, and in my case for the first time ever. I've been wanting to see this one for years, and I'm fortunate to say it was worth the wait. All the people who say this ranks among Karloff's best performances are correct.
son of metaldams
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkenstein on December 5th, 2006, 6:35 pm

It was sad to hear of Marian Marsh's passing, but it seemed like she had a good life, making it to 93. She sure was a beauty and very young when she did SVENGALI and THE BLACK ROOM. It's also sad realizing most of the actors and actresses from those days are now gone.

I'll have to pull out my VHS copy of SVENGALI and give it another look. I taped it back in the '80s and haven't watched it for a long time.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to Double Chiller Theater