Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - FIEND WITHOUT A FACE

FIEND WITHOUT A FACE

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

FIEND WITHOUT A FACE

Postby Afa Dollah on June 13th, 2005, 1:07 pm

Hey Lunk, just had to get this out on your new board! Hope no one minds!

FIEND WITHOUT A FACE
1958 74 min. B& W
Amalgamated Productions (released by MGM)
Dir. Arthur Crabtree (Horrors of the Black Museum)
Marshall Thompson—Maj. Jeff Cummings
Kim Parker—Barbara
Kynaston Reeves—Prof. R. E. Walgate

Invisible Monsters Suck Out Your Brains!
And that’s just for appetizers; they suck out your spinal cord too!! BWA HA HA HA!!!

I found this little jewel in the public library, which just goes to show you never know what treasures can be found in such places. Many of our young people could benefit from a more time spent there with a good old fashioned book; not huddled in front of a computer monitor, and you know who you are. These days the library is also a source of video and even DVD selections, which gladdens the hearts of middle aged tightwads like myself. I spotted a couple of other flicks there worth checking out, including a few volumes of SLAPSTICK MASTERS and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, but I digress.

FIEND WITHOUT A FACE is a British picture set in Canada released by MGM and based on a story in an American pulp magazine. That’s a pedigree any B monster flick can be proud of. The story was THE THOUGHT MONSTER by Amelia Reynolds Long, published in 1930 in the venerated WEIRD TALES pulp; and that’s all I can tell you about it. With bloodlines like these, you might think the movie would drift toward the formulaic, and you would be wrong. It strips right down buck nekkid, dives in and wallows shamelessly. For example, “They’re my creations, perhaps I can control them….AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!” But the movie gets away with it because it demonstrates a faith in its monster and is filled with a sense of urgency.

Because the real monster is….nuclear power! In the hands of the wrong people, in this case Canadians. Well, one Canadian scientist who is siphoning off the power generated by the nearby US Air Force base nuclear power station. They are in a remote section of Canada working on a top secret nuclear powered radar to keep an eye on those pesky Soviets, who had ideas of sneaking their filthy communist hands up the skirts of Lady Liberty back in those days. Then the dead bodies of locals start showing up sans brains and spinal cords, and the backwards natives of Canuckistan start blaming the “nuclear fallout.” They blame they poor production of their milk cows on the jet noise from the base too, but hey, at least there’s no shortage of brain eating fiends. Don’t they understand that we’re just trying to protect both our countries from missile attack? In an effort to appease and educate the natives, Maj. Jeff Cummings, the head of the project, is ordered to conduct an investigation on behalf of the military.

During his investigation, he meets Barbara, the sister of the first victim. This tasty morsel is working for Professor Wingate, editing his notes for publication. Jeff discovers that Prof. Wingate is an expert in many fields, but is currently working on the materialization of thought. Jeff gathers all of the available publications and information by and about Wingate.

A couple more people, including the mayor, are found with their brains and spinal cords missing. The locals concede that fallout can’t be responsible, so they arm themselves and begin searching for the lunatic soldier they’re sure must be responsible. They begin a search of the woods near the base. The local sheriff goes missing and turns up later all zombified and stark, raving mad. If that happened here in Maricopa County no one would notice, but they did.

Jeff confronts the Professor, who breaks down and admits that he has a secret lab where he has been working for months on the materialization of thought. He has discovered that by siphoning off the nuclear power from the plant, he can create a creature of thought that can operate independently. Like thought, the creature is invisible. But it has escaped, and multiplied. It lives in the brains and spinal cords of its victims, a “mental vampire.” The creatures feed off the power from the nuclear power plant. They resolve to shut the plant down completely, in theory destroying the creatures.

Jeff calls the nuclear plant control room. Someone or something, the technician reports, has destroyed all of the control rods. The reactor is out of control. Then, AAARRRRGGGHHH, he dies! The creatures have invaded the base and killed everyone. The increased power from the plant enables the creatures to be visible! They are brains with spinal cords and eyestalks. They launch themselves at their victims. They move with a sucking noise, and die spurting goo with sickening sounds. And there are hundreds of them converging on the Professor’s house, where Wingate, Jeff, the tasty morsel Barbara, the General and the Good Buddy are all trapped! The power levels at the plant are critical. The creatures are growing stronger…they’re breaking into the house…

What happens? I don’t want to spoil it for you, but suffice it to say that love wins out in the end, the creatures die in putrefying pools of sizzling ooze, and the milk production goes back to normal. I enjoyed this movie; even though it seems campy today, it takes itself seriously and has some nifty effects and good Fifties gore. I thought the camera work and lighting were extremely well done, and the acting was good. I especially enjoyed Reeves as Wingate, he also starred in a remake of THE LODGER in 1932 I think, don’t quote me on that. A slightly edited version was released in the US in 1958, the version I viewed was from the Criterion Collection, and was complete. The print quality was fantastic; if there were any flaws I didn't spot them.

On the Official Afa Dollah B Movie Rating Scale, FIEND WITHOUT A FACE gets: A BIG THUMBS UP, BABY! Check this one out!
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

FIEND WITHOUT A FACE

Postby Lunkenstein on June 13th, 2005, 9:46 pm

So glad you did! Was hoping you had it saved on your computer and was going to ask if you could re-post it.
:thumbs_up1:
I'm gonna have to watch FIEND again soon. Been a while. I can still hear those sounds though. :frankenstein1:
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

the SOUND

Postby Xenorama on June 13th, 2005, 10:59 pm

that sound stayed with me since i was about 7. i never even saw the end of the movie when the brains became visible.

great movie, great Criterion disc as well.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Lifesize Fiend Without a Face!

Postby Afa Dollah on June 25th, 2005, 12:24 pm

I can't believe I found this, a lifesize FIEND WITHOUT A FACE! Check it out!

http://www.ascareforyou.com/

That's a great item; I may have to put that on a wish list.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

man

Postby Xenorama on June 25th, 2005, 2:13 pm

now that's a great Hallowe'en prop- i'd love one of those to have drop down on trick or treaters!

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

FIEND toy

Postby Lunkenstein on June 25th, 2005, 2:14 pm

They look awesome. Would love one myself, but the price is a bit steep. Cool that you found it though. Let us know if you get one Afa. Then take a picture of it attacking you and send it to me so I can host it :laugh1:
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Pricey Fiends

Postby Afa Dollah on June 25th, 2005, 5:20 pm

Yeah, the price is a stumbling block for me too. But they look sooo cool.
C'mon Ma, I promise I'll feed it and bathe it and walk it every day and teach it sit and stay and fetch....but MOOOOOOOOM....
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Fiends that fetch, etc...

Postby Lunkenstein on June 25th, 2005, 9:03 pm

:laugh2: :laugh1: :rotfl: :laugh1: :laugh2:
I know if I begged my mom hard enough, she'd buy me one. She always spoiled me as a kid and I loved it.
She's a sweet old gal, but I wouldn't want to take advantage. ...I think
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

No Fiend For YOU!

Postby Afa Dollah on June 25th, 2005, 10:40 pm

Mom would throw a fit. She still reminds me of all the times she found me sleeping on the couch at 3am with nothing on the TV; nothing but white snow because I fell asleep during the second Creature Feature. Hey, was it my fault they didn't start the first one until 10? (Or was it 10:30?) If only I could stay up that late now. The smell of popcorn permeating the house... (she kept thinking the house might have caught on fire and would always, and I mean always, check to see what was up. Smart, why trust a 12 or 13 year old with fire? Or even a 16 or 17 year old?) God Bless her, it went on until I moved out of the house! Five or six years of a weekly ritual.

And the awful man who hosted that show! (Dr. San Guinary) He was just so...so WIERD!

We actually stopped doing battle over my purchases of FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND last year. It was a milestone. Some of them are worth a little cash these days. Moms have strange priorities.
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Of Moms and Monsters

Postby Lunkenstein on June 26th, 2005, 1:40 pm

Good stories and memories there Afa. Ya gotta love moms. They always tried their best to look after us. Mine actually liked watching scary films with me, as long as there were on early. My dad was the one who stayed up late with me to watch DOUBLE CHILLER THEATER on Saturday nights. It started at 11:00PM and usually ended around 2:00AM. However, it was mom who let me stay up late on a school night for the very first time to watch a movie. Actually, I went to sleep earlier, then she woke me up at 1:00AM to see it. Think I was in 1st grade. I still remember the film - it was PHANTOM FROM SPACE. After initially digging dinosaurs, I started making the transition to scare flicks. The next one (also on a school night) was KILLERS FROM SPACE. Those 2 films are special to me even though today they look pretty silly. But those initial images were a kicker to this young lad. Yay moms!
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to Double Chiller Theater