Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES (1965)

PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES (1965)

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES (1965)

Postby Xenorama on April 7th, 2007, 3:54 pm

Cast(Complete credited cast)
Barry Sullivan ... Capt. Mark Markary
Norma Bengell ... Sanya
Ángel Aranda ... Wess
Evi Marandi ... Tiona
Stelio Candelli ... Brad/Mud
Franco Andrei ... Bert/Garr
Fernando Villena... Dr. Karan
Mario Morales ... Eldon
Ivan Rassimov ... Carter/Dervy
Federico Boido ... Keir (as Rico Boido)
Alberto Cevenini... Toby Markary/Wan

Additional Details
Also Known As:
Demon Planet
Planet of Blood
Planet of the Vampires (USA)
Space Mutants
Terror en el espacio (Spain)
Terror in Space
The Haunted Planet
The Haunted World
The Outlawed Planet
The Planet of Terror
The Planet of the Damned

this is a decent, and great looking movie, but like almost all Italian
movies, it tends to drag a bit. even at 87 minutes!

two spaceships crash on an unknown planet. apparently it is
uninhabited. the crew of the first ship to land is dead, apparently
having killed themselves. one by one the other ship's crew is killed
off, by bodiless aliens wanting to take over their bodies.

the ending is a twist, i am sure back then especially. now, not so
much, but a surprise for sure in the 60s.

like i said, this movie is great looking. the DVD is good as well,
but only has the AIP dubbed audio (fine with me). it comes with the
trailer for the US though, if nothing else. i've heard there are
other versions on DVD out there.

this movie is cited as a precursor to ALIEN, but aside from a few sets
and shots, the story isn't nearly the same. still, it's fun to watch,
and see real sets and miniatures. the colors make it all look great,
that's for sure, way better than the budget that it had. no surprise, since Mario Bava (the director) started out in that area of filmmaking.
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on April 7th, 2007, 4:53 pm

Somehow I missed this through the years, though I have read about it. Sounds very interesting, especially with Mario Bava directing (I love BLACK SABBATH). I'll have to track it down.
still, it's fun to watch, and see real sets and miniatures. the colors make it all look great

That is so refreshing. I sure miss how movies used to be made. In fact, I find myself seeking out more and more older films (even outside the horror/monster/sci-fi/comedy genres) rather than new ones. There's a ton of old films I've never seen, and I'd rather take my chances with them than the bulk of today's product. Give me a silent Stan Laurel comedy over CGI locusts in the current 'THE REAPING' please. Today, quality film making is all but dead, so I don't mind living in the past - there's plenty of it there to enjoy on DVD and tape.

I see PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES was released on DVD at one point as part of the MGM MIDNIGHT MOVIES series. What a great line that was. Probably tough to find now though as most are out of print. A few titles are still available at DeepDiscount, but I didn't see this one listed.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

re: PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES (1965)

Postby Lunkenstein on May 3rd, 2007, 2:03 pm

Kudos Megs, for this fine film. I watched it last night for the first time and loved it! It's impressive what they achieved on a meager budget. Mario Bava was a genius. The planet was totally believable and scary, plus his talent as a horror director really worked in this sci-fi setting. I am an all-out fanatic of the film ALIEN (1979) and saw many images here that must have been an influence. Great movie and ahead of its time for 1965. Every sci-fi fan should see it.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to Double Chiller Theater