Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Monster celebrities pass away.

Monster celebrities pass away.

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on April 27th, 2007, 11:17 am

B. Pickett has died.

NEW YORK (AP) -- He does the "Monster Mash" no more.
Bobby "Boris" Pickett, whose dead-on Boris Karloff impression propelled the Halloween anthem to the top of the charts in 1962, making him one of pop music's most,,,,
Link here: http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Mus ... index.html

Sir Graves Ghastly passes away too.
He was a local icon of the monster movies.
He was on Saturday afternoon with the usual "B" movies.

Lawson J. Deming 1913 - 2007
http://www.sirgravesghastly.com/
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

sad

Postby Xenorama on April 27th, 2007, 11:25 am

Bobby also did "Star Drek" my favorite Star Trek parody.

RIP.

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on May 3rd, 2007, 1:28 pm

This was very sad news, for me especially hearing about Bobby "Boris" Pickett. His big hit was the rallying song for Monster Kids of the '60s. I wore out my 45 rpm record as I loved both MONSTER MASH and the 'B' side, MONSTER MASH PARTY. PARTY really had some fun voices and sound effects. Another big part of my youth gone. RIP Bobby and thanks for the songs.

Also, RIP Sir Graves Ghastly. Sad to see another Horror host gone.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Afa Dollah on May 3rd, 2007, 1:43 pm

I think MONSTER MASH was number one three different times, once when it came out and twice several years later, like in the mid 70's. RIP.

I never saw Graves Ghastley, RIP, our host was Dr. San Guinary out of Omaha on Saturday nights. One of the four stations we could get, which includes PBS.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on May 16th, 2007, 9:21 am

Sir Graves was a regular staple on Saturday afternoons, played the "B" movies, we watched because there wasn't any other kid shows at the time slot, it was our indoor choice if it was raining outside.
RIP Sir Graves.

Now we were really attached to The Ghoul as he captivated his audence by blowing up stuff, setting fires and smashing stuff. Can't tell you how many times "Froggy" got it.
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Re: Monster celebrities pass away.

Postby DangerkittyToTheRescue on February 27th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Another monster celebrity passed away today. Ben Chapman, one of the actors who played the Gill-Man in the "The Creature from the Black Lagoon," has died, he was 79 years old.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/entertain ... etail.html
DangerkittyToTheRescue
Porcupine

Postby Lunkenstein on February 28th, 2008, 8:12 pm

Yes, I was sad to hear of Ben's passing. I've heard he was a very nice man. I love the CREATURE films and he did a super job.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

RIP Forrest J Ackerman

Postby Lunkenstein on December 5th, 2008, 9:35 pm

Our beloved Uncle Forry passed away last night, 12/4/08 at the age of 92.

Like so many, my life would not have been the same without FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND. Though I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, I will always cherish the phone conversation we had earlier this decade. I am deeply saddened with his passing, but am comforted thinking about all the love heaven will surely bestow upon him. His legacy remains.

God Bless You, Uncle Forry. Thanks for teaching us how to be Monster Kids!

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Preston on December 12th, 2008, 9:02 pm

Yes, I heard about Forry Ackerman's passing too. In fact, someplace in my hopelessly cluttered closet, I'm sure I still have the Famous Monsters issue that compiled a list of all the blob-type movies. Let's see, right off hand, besides THE BLOB, I remember the GREEN SLIME and THE H-MAN (both Japanese films). There was also another blob film called CALTIKI THE IMMORTAL. Wasn't that the one with Peter Cushing?

Another FAMOUS MONSTER issue but one which I lost, had an article on the film THE PROJECTED MAN, about a man horribly disfigured by radiation. The loss of that issue is very regrettable to me because it had a Still of the monster's disfigurement...very regrettable to me because I can Not find on the internet any of those stills. The facial disfigurement was even more grotesque than Martin Landau from The Outer Limits episode THE MAN WHO WAS NEVER BORN. Did anybody else see THE PROJECTED MAN? I saw that film only once on TV, one of those movies which are very rarely broadcast, if at all.
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkenstein on December 14th, 2008, 11:34 am

I still have quite a few of my FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND magazines put away. At some point, I'll have to dig them out. They're buried pretty good, though I think I know where most are.

CALTIKI - IL MOSTRO IMMORTALE (1959), or as I knew it under the American title - CALTIKI, THE IMMORTAL MONSTER, was an Italian monster film. I only saw it once way, way back in the early '60s. I think I remember struggling to stay up and see it late night on our old DOUBLE CHILLER THEATER from Philly. A nice, vague memory, very little of which I recall (basically just the blobby Caltiki itself). That will be fun to catch on DVD when I get a chance.

Peter Cushing wasn't in CALTIKI though. Might you be thinking of ISLAND OF TERROR (1966) with Cushing and Edward Judd? That featured smaller, creeping, blob-like tentacled creatures. Haven't seen that for quite a few years either, but it's a fun, scary film.

THE PROJECTED MAN (1967) is one that escaped me. Don't think it ever was ever shown in my area. Another one I'll have to try and catch someday.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

RIP Majel Barrett Roddenberry

Postby Preston on December 19th, 2008, 8:50 pm

Majel Barrett Roddenberry passed away. She was of course the wife of "The Great Bird Of The Galaxy" Gene Roddenberry (Star Trek). Most of you already know of all the ST roles she played, so for me to list them would be redundant. So what I'll do instead is to mention My favorite scene she played. Even though Majel did an impressive job with her role of that Betazoid lady in Next Generation, I still consider my favorite to be the scene in the TOS episode "The Naked Time" where a virus makes Spock's hidden emotions come to the surface. In that scene, Nurse Chapel (played by Majel) confronts Spock, and Spock (with much difficulty, as shown in his strained facial expression) tells her, "I'm sorry..." In other words, Spock was apologizing for his coldness.
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkenstein on December 20th, 2008, 1:44 pm

This was sad to hear. She was a very beautiful and talented actress. So many from my youth are passing on.

Preston, that scene you mentioned is indeed very well done.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Preston on December 27th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Lunk, you mentioned earlier that You once had a Phone-conversation with Mr. Ackerman. How did that originate in the first place?
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkenstein on December 30th, 2008, 7:58 pm

About 6 years ago, FJA had been in very bad shape health-wise. Plus, he had to auction off almost all of his collection from the famous Ackermansion and move into a smaller home. I found out about the situation from a post at David's (Xenorama) old EzBoard message forum. I decided to call Forry on the phone to wish him well and let him know how much I enjoyed FM while growing up. Here below is the post from my old EzBoard forum posted on 12/17/02:
I was alerted to Forry Ackerman's current situation over at the Xenorama board recently. Here is the thread: pub59.ezboard.com/fxenoramafrm1.showMessage?topicID=355.topic

Forry's life achievements are staggering, but in short, he was the editor for Famous Monsters of Filmland--the super, monster mag we children of the 60's went nuts over. He also coined the term "Sci-Fi" and had the most extensive collection of monster/horror/sci-fi memorabillia ever. This has been a very rough year for him in both health and legal areas. He has a website at 4forry.best.vwh.net/ . - It's a really cool site, but hasn't been updated for a while. For the most current info on him, visit this fan's site at http://www.ackerfandom.com/

The following is from the page on Forry's health at the site listed above:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<<< We visited Forry in his new home very recently, so this is fresh news:

Forrest J Ackerman was so ill earlier this year that rumors spread widely in fandom he was dying. Yet he's managed to survive severe medical problems that have downed lesser men. He is now partially bed-ridden with 24/7 care and will probably always need more health care than ever. Bill Warren, also recovering from hospitalization, notes that while "Forry has a long process ahead with no prognosis for full recovery, he's beaten the odds more than once. Just knowing how many people want him to get better will help Forry enormously, so send cards and letters, or give him a call."

However, at 85-going-on-86, Forry could no longer manage all those stairs in the Ackermansion, his wonderful old 18-room Hollywood Hills mansion. The house was sold, his collection dispersed for sale to pay bills. So a long-time SF and media shrine is now only a cherished memory. Robert Chapman noted that Forry's collection was a great legacy and research source that may never again be matched.

Forry has leased a little 1911 Craftsman-style bungalow that has the advantage of not being on a dangerously steep hill and it's only 3 blocks from House of Pies, one of Forry's very favorite restaurants (Forry's idea of a healthy Basic Food Group includes pies & chocolate éclairs.) Forry kept many of his most treasured items: the Metropolis robotrix, a Cylon, his trophies and awards, his piano (with child-sized teeth marks where he bit it in frustration over having to practice!) Joe Moe reports that Forry is really settling down in his new home and loving it.

One of the first things Forry did to this little house was to get his bedroom walls painted bright red with metallic gold trim on all the doors and windows, as you can see here. This will not surprise anyone familiar with Forry's outré taste in home décor! This bedroom, where Forry spends much of his time, is also crammed with his favorite photos, artwork and other memorabilia.

Forry loves visitors, but tires quickly, so don't stay long or come in a crowd. First call to see if he is strong enough that day for visitors. Don't commiserate with him about his collection. Forry seems to have let go of it with almost a sigh of relief. He deals only with the moment.

Joe Moe, Forry's long-time friend, has been busy cleaning out the old house and installing things in the new house. Joe reports "Everything is progressing well. I will store permanent archival boxes in the back of the rental space, plus stuff we can process and eliminate later. At this point, I'm installing the remnants of the collection at the new house, waiting for Brian to pick through whatever's left over, and planning to store the rest until later. We're really making headway here, although every door I open seems to have a dozen boxes stacked behind it! I think you'll like what I'm doing with the new house."

To introduce Joe Moe, he's rented the Ackermansion 'servant's quarters' for the past 6 years - probably the only person who ever paid rent during long stays or use of Forry's house for their own pursuits. Once word got out that Forry was selling his home and his collection, Joe suddenly got a lot of unwarranted flak when the collection was dismantled. long-absent friends suddenly materialized to question Joe's thankless and difficult job. In fact, Joe has protected Forry against several 'bad guys,' managed his day-to-day business and affairs, did his laundry and was a constant presence who didn't care about anything except Forry's happiness and health. Most importantly, if Joe hadn't taken matters into his own hands to get Forry into the hospital when he was seriously ill, we'd all be mourning a beloved friend.

The Trimbles have known and wondered at and loved and been entirely exasperated by Forry for nearly 50 years. Our children thought their dearest 'Uncle Forry' was a genuine relative. He was certainly a more loving and responsive relative than my own! But since we are a busy family with far too many of our own concerns, we can't be constantly at Forry's side. We are extremely grateful for Joe (as well as others who helped out) and think it's time he got some credibility. He's done yeoman work keeping things steady and as unhassled as possible for Forry.

We visited Forry in the hospital and had no idea what was happening at the Ackermansion. It was a major shock to see the Ackermuseum stripped to the walls, as shown in this photo! Much of the movie still collection disappeared while Forry was incapacitated, but most of the collection is accounted for.

Thought some of Forry's collection went to a Berlin museum long ago, it didn't purchase as much as he hoped. So there is a great deal still left, being stored or put up for sale to help cover Forry's expenses. Brian Anthony and Paul Taglianetti are coordinating efforts to put items on eBay: search for 'Ackerman Collection.' Jerry Weist, auction evaluator, is selling the art collection. Jim Rock, bookseller, took books to protect them from being stolen while Forry was ill and will sell some. Some but not all of the Garage Mahal contents went to another dealer. These folk are doing their best under complicated and difficult circumstances, while Forry's friends, enemies, acquaintances as well as complete strangers - such as reporters - make a lot of noise without finding the facts. In a way it seems to us as if Forry finds it a relief to be out from under the huge responsibility of the Ackermuseum at last. He may not have chosen this method of doing so, but there is an up side to the situation. Forry no longer has slavering sycophants hanging around hoping to inherit the collection. Interestingly, none of these hangers-on have been seen since the collection was dispersed! Forry also no longer has to worry so much about the far-too-many light-fingered visitors who called themselves his fans, but who have also over the years walked away with an incredible number of collectibles.

Fans always fund-raising ideas such as suggest forming a fund to help Forry. Unfortunately, it costs money to raise money. None of us has the finances to do this. It would be a staggering job just contacting all the fans who might (might!) contribute something to tell them of the situation. Postage and printing for the list in Forry's guest books alone would be a huge amount and many of those addresses are out of date. The Internet isn't nearly as efficient as most think in getting The Word Out when it's needed. We would reach only a small percentage of those potential donors.

Some fans suggest tapping into some already-established relief fund to help Forry, but we think it would only deplete the established fund without doing much to relieve Forry's staggering bills.

Many fans want to know why some of Forry's movie contacts with loads of money (Stephen King, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas) have not come forward to help? The simple answer is that they don't seem to remember how Famous Monsters of Filmland influenced them as kids. Some have been true friends, visiting him in the hospital, paying much more than usual for some of Forry's souvenirs, etc. John Landis has been a true friend, as has Ray Bradbury and many others.

If you - or anyone else you know - want to do something go to <http://www.best.com/~4forry> and buy something from the Garage Mahal. Small purchases won't do much for Forry's major problems, but this will make him feel much better!

You can also help by keeping in contact. Forry loves getting cheerful or silly or sexy (especially sexy!) cards and letters and phone calls. So please pass on this news to others, then write to him and urge others to do the same. - JOHN and BJO TRIMBLE <ussjgt@earthlink.net> <bjotrimble@earthlink.net>

FORREST J ACKERMAN
"Mr. Sci-Fi"
4511 Russell Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90027
323-Moon-Fan (666-6326)
<http://www.best.com/~4forry> >>>

After reading about his current situation, I decided to try and give him a call today. Happily, I was able to make contact. What a wonderful, gracious and funny man. It was a thrill speaking with him and only wish I could visit him in person. We chatted for about 10 to 15 minutes. He spoke with my son too! He told me how he's been working on his auto-biography and recently finished his 100th cameo.

He also told me this great story:
<<< I have a chair in which Abraham Lincoln was photographed. I sat a little girl down in it and I said, "Do you know who Abraham Lincoln was?" She said, "I don't know - I don't go to kindergarten yet." So I showed her a penny and said, "Do you know who that is?" She said, "Vincent Price!" >>>
We both had a good laugh.
I told him how much I loved reading FM as a kid and the influence it had on me as a monster fan. Also thanked him for all he's done for us through the years. (I refrained from mentioning the loss of the collection, as requested on the website. Rather, it's better to concentrate on the positive.) He's really a great, great guy. His sense of humor is something I've always loved in addition to everything else. If you're a fan of Forry & Famous Monsters and get a chance, give him a buzz or send a letter. You'll be glad you did.

He also told me on the phone that he nearly died during that period. Nice to know he was able to make it another 6 years to the age of 92, but it would have been so cool if he had made it to 100.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

RIP Bob May (Lost in Space)

Postby Preston on January 20th, 2009, 8:43 pm

RIP Bob May. Just the other day,Bob May died. He was the actor who played the Robot on Lost in Space. Bob May was 69. Let me make it clear that although Bob May was the actor inside the robot suit but the voice was done by a different actor, Dick Tufeld. So it was Bob May who passed away. I first heard the news while listening to the George Noory radio show.
Preston
Mutant

Next

Return to Double Chiller Theater