Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - THEM! (1954)

THEM! (1954)

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

THEM! (1954)

Postby Lunkenstein on September 9th, 2007, 5:58 pm

Definitely one of the finest sci-fi monster films of the '50s. I recently bought the DVD and the print is outstanding - looks like it was filmed yesterday. There are also many extras on the disk which I've not yet checked out. The Warner DVD is a double feature pairing this with the also great THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS (1953).

THEM! is a classic in every way. Great cast, story, music, pacing and top notch effects. The giant ants hold up really well and the angles and shots they used help a lot for realism. I've always loved this film ever since seeing it on the afternoon movie in the '60s and I'm glad to now have such a beautiful DVD version of it in my collection. What classic sounds the ants make and that wind - one can never forget after hearing them just once. James Whitmore (whose fate never fails to move me), Edmund Gwenn and James Arness are wonderful here. Plus, there are many other notable names and early appearances by future stars (including Leonard Nimoy which I just recently found out).
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

i agree

Postby Xenorama on September 12th, 2007, 1:49 pm

this really is one of the classic movies. a little let down by the mechanical ants, but the story is completely engrossing. and could have been even scarier!

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Return to Double Chiller Theater