Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - The Killer Shrews (1959)

The Killer Shrews (1959)

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

The Killer Shrews (1959)

Postby Lunkenstein on June 18th, 2005, 4:24 pm

~~~Image~~~

~~~Image~~~

Alright now. There's gotta be some other shrew-heads out there.

First time seeing this as a kid in the 60's, it scared the daylights outta me. The concept of being eaten alive was something new to me and didn't settle well. Still, I liked the film and the ending solution especially. After multiple viewings in the 70's on local UHF, it started to become one of my favorites (and my older sister's too). Every time we'd be gorging ourselves on Kentucky Fried Chicken and really enjoying it, we'd kid each other about being like shrews.

This film has become a camp classic for many. People can laugh about the cheapo effects and brush off this little gem, but if you actually sit and watch it, the film is impressive in many ways. The pacing is great - the movie never drags. The characters and dialogue grow on you (well, maybe like a fungus, but that's ok). The music is appropriately creepy. The house with the deteriorating adobe walls becomes claustrophobic, as the storm enables the shrews to gain easier access. The movie's great for a Saturday afternoon viewing with popcorn, or late at night in a dark room right before bed. I've gone to sleep many a night with this on my tube. Sometimes I actually sleep better after viewing this old friend again.

Our late, great local horror host Dr. Shock once introduced it as the WORST OF BEST. I always thought it was actually one of JAMES BEST’S BEST. He did go on to have an interesting career and found fame on DUKES OF HAZZARD, but for me, he’ll always be Captain Thorne Sherman.

Ken Curtis (Festus of GUNSMOKE fame) produced both this and THE GIANT GILA MONSTER. Too bad he couldn’t have made more monster/horror films as these are both loads of fun.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

it's OK

Postby Xenorama on June 19th, 2005, 11:32 am

i prefer GIANT GILA MONSTER to Shrews, but there are pretty much the same movie, made at the same time by the same people. they don't make 'em like these at all any more.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Afa Dollah on June 20th, 2005, 11:51 am

Well, my shame is great. I have never seen THE KILLER SHREWS, but I'm sure it's over at the local B MOVIES rack. It might even be on one of those 50 movie collection things. Sounds like it's a decent watch.

I have seen THE GIANT GILA MONSTER; pretty good time waster.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Shrews DVD

Postby Lunkenstein on June 20th, 2005, 6:42 pm

THE KILLER SHREWS...might even be on one of those 50 movie collection things.

As a matter of fact Afa, it is. TREELINE'S HORROR CLASSICS 50 MOVIEPACK includes both THE KILLER SHREWS and THE GIANT GILA MONSTER. Here is a link to DEEP DISCOUNT DVD which is selling the set for $ 19.79 => http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=VMG007003
I bought this from DEEP DISCOUNT last year and it's a hoot. Here's the complete list of films included:

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
Blue Beard
The Corpse Vanishes
Night of the Living Dead
Doomed to Die
The Phantom of the Opera
The Indestructible Man
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Nosferatu
Swamp Women
The World Gone Mad
The Little Shop of Horrors
Tormented
The Monster Walks
Monster from a Prehistoric Planet
The Gorilla
A Shriek in the Night
Bloodlust
The Amazing Mr. X
Last Woman on Earth
The Bat
The House on Haunted Hill
The Last Man on Earth
Dementia 13
Phantom from 10,000 Leagues
Carnival of Souls
Atom Age Vampire
Creature from the Haunted Sea
Nightmare Castle
Black Dragons
Invisible Ghost
One Body Too Many
White Zombie
Attack of the Giant Leeches
The Screaming Skull
Beast of Yucca Flats
The Terror
Revolt of the Zombies
The Giant Gila Monster
The Fatal Hour
Dead Men Walk
The Mad Monster
Maniac
Metropolis
The Vampire Bat
The Ape
The Monster Maker
The Killer Shrews
The Brain That Wouldn’t Die
King of the Zombies

I've yet to get through the whole set, but watched enough to offer opinions. Many of the films I already owned or had at least viewed before, but there were some I'd never seen, like MANIAC. Oh man, you have to see that! There is an interesting assortment here of which I think are all Public Domain. Ya gotta love THE MAD MONSTER and THE MONSTER MAKER. Make us some popcorn!

Concerning print and audio quality - it's a mixed bag. For instance, the print of KING OF THE ZOMBIES is the best I've seen yet - smooth, clear and complete. It's far superior to the ALPHA version (which has so many splices you miss tons of dialogue). But then with Karloff's THE APE, it's just the opposite - a trillion splices make it sadly unwatchable. Some films look washed out while others are fairly clean. Audio is generally ok. Overall, I love the set - you can't beat the price/quantity and the majority of films are in watchable condition.

Already had THE KILLER SHREWS on a KILLER CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE DVD from MADACY, along with I BURY THE LIVING. That is a decent print of SHREWS, though the sound is slightly tinty. I've only scanned parts of the TREELINE version of SHREWS. Seems passable, but I noticed the audio got warbly around the middle of the film. Also, I think the print looked clearer on the MADACY version.

Now, after that long-winded rant, I think you'll enjoy THE KILLER SHREWS Afa. I highly recommend it - a fun, cool flick.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Afa Dollah on June 20th, 2005, 11:37 pm

Cool, I'll give it a watch. Thanks Lunk! I think I saw the Alpha version at Fry's; I'm sure they have the 50 movie pack there. You're right, for the money it's hard to beat. I'm sure the quality is okay, especially when I saw a lot of these on B & W TV played off old 16mm prints late on Saturday night, much to the sheer horror of my mother (But that's another tale for another time....

I wonder about those multiple movie DVD's sometimes. The upper end ones that are double sides work okay, but I got a 10 movie set of Sherlock Holmes movies and on the last disc the sound on both movies was several seconds behind the action. making them were unwatchable. The rest of the discs were okay. Guess that's what I get for being a tightwad.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Wilytank on September 17th, 2006, 6:46 pm

First part of message deleted by Wilytank. Why can't they put in giant scorpions?
Last edited by Wilytank on September 27th, 2006, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Postby Lunkenstein on September 17th, 2006, 8:19 pm

I heard that this movie is crap.

You're treading upon sacred ground and I strongly disagree for all the reasons I mentioned in my original post. Cheaply made? - Yes! But a fun movie none the less in my and many other's opinion. Trouble is a lot of today's jaded viewers just can't seem to appreciate anything unless it's filled with loud explosions, overdone CGI, and non-stop action. Forget about anything that tries to be atmospheric and might require an attention span. Image
Why can't they put in giant scorpions?

You want giant scorpions? See THE BLACK SCORPION (1957) - a good, fun film BTW.
But be forewarned. It's in B&W and uses ancient stop motion effects. Heavens! :annoyed:
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Wilytank on September 25th, 2006, 4:44 pm

This message has been deleted by Wilytank.
Peace out!
Last edited by Wilytank on September 27th, 2006, 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Postby Lunkenstein on September 26th, 2006, 12:17 am

Wilytank, here is why I replied rather harshly. If you read my original post, I gave reasons as to why I find this film entertaining and how it became one of my favorite low budget movies. I enjoy it very much. Then you come into this thread and say, "I heard that this movie is crap. Why can't they put in giant scorpions?" I found that pretty rude and unnecessary, especially since you've never seen the film.

Think about it this way: Suppose you started a thread saying how much you love The 3 Stooges. Then some one who's never seen the Stooges (but loves The Marx Brothers) replies, 'I heard they stink. All they do is hit each other. Where's the talent in that? The Marx Brothers did much more intelligent comedy, using witty dialogue and didn't rely so much on physical gags.' Now I'm sure you'd be annoyed as you know The Stooges also had great verbal comedy in addition to the physical. You'd probably want to call the guy to task on that.

I started this message board with The Three Stooges as the foundation. I will always love them, but I also love other classic comedy teams as well. And my passion for classic horror and monster movies is just as intense. There are many areas of entertainment we can discuss on this board, and there is nothing wrong with disagreeing on films, music, etc. But I ask that we do it respectfully. To just barge in and say, "I heard this movie is crap" adds nothing to the conversation, but it surely will frustrate the person who started the thread.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Wilytank on September 27th, 2006, 6:40 pm

I see what you mean. I will stop and delete my other posts on this thread.

But if whey didn't like the 3stooges then what would they be doing at this message board?
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Return to Double Chiller Theater