Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Horror Review #1: THE DEVIL BAT (1940)

Horror Review #1: THE DEVIL BAT (1940)

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

Horror Review #1: THE DEVIL BAT (1940)

Postby son of metaldams on June 28th, 2005, 1:29 pm

THE DEVIL BAT (1940)

Bela Lugosi        ....         Dr. Paul Carruthers
Suzanne Kaaren        ....         Mary Heath
Dave O'Brien        ....         Johnny Layton (reporter)
Guy Usher        ....         Henry Morton
Yolande Donlan        ....         Maxine 'Frenchy' (maid) (as Yolande Mallott)
Donald Kerr        ....         'One-Shot' McGuire
Edmund Mortimer        ....         Martin Heath (as Edward Mortimer)
Gene O'Donnell        ....         Donald 'Don' Morton
Alan Baldwin        ....         Thomas 'Tommy' Heath
John Ellis        ....         Roy Heath
Arthur Q. Bryan        ....         Joe McGinty (editor)
Hal Price        ....         Chief Wilkins
John Davidson        ....         Prof. Percival Garland Raines
Wally Rairden        ....         Walter King (radio announcer)

Directed by
Jean Yarbrough

Studio: PRC

Plot Synopsis: Kindly town doctor Paul Carruthers (Bela Lugosi), sells out for $10,000 cash after creating a successful perfume. The Heath and Morton families keep their stock and end up making millions off Dr. Carruthers’ formula. Jealous, Carruthers electronically grows giants bats that attack anybody wearing a new after shave lotion he just created. Brow beating Heath and Morton family members into wearing this new after shave lotion, Carruthers unleashes his overgrown devil bat every night to attack them. Reporter Johnny Layton (Dave O’Brien), and photographer “One-Shot” McGuire (Donald Kerr), help the police try to solve the mysterious murders of the Heath and Morton family members.

“Imbecile! Bombastic Ignaramous!”

The above line reads like Moe Howard poetry, does it not? Add Three Stooges leading lady Suzanne Kaaren (DISORDER IN THE COURT, YES, WE HAVE NO BONANZA, and WHAT’S THE MATADOR), to the mix, and on the surface, one would think, “Three Stooges short.” The immortal line above, however, was not spoken by Moe Howard before he was about to gracefully gouge a brotherly eyeball, but was instead delivered by great horror icon Bela Lugosi as he comments on the ignorance of a radio reporter regarding the creation of his devil bat! The film, appropriately enough, is THE DEVIL BAT (1940).
Bela Lugosi was a great Hungarian stage actor who was typecast in Hollywood after playing the title character in his most famous film, DRACULA (1931). Appearing in other genuine horror classics like WHITE ZOMBIE (1932), THE BLACK CAT (1934), THE RAVEN (1935), and SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939), Lugosi is equally as known for the legions of low budget schlockfests he appeared in, including the nine films he made for Monogram studios from 1941 - 1944 and most sadly, the three Ed Wood movies he’d appear in towards the end of his life. Made for the lowly PRC studios (the only time they would work with Lugosi), THE DEVIL BAT is arguably the beginning of this low budget horror phase for Lugosi.

Despite its status as a horror film, make no mistake about it, THE DEVIL BAT has more laughs in its compact 68 minutes than a lot of great two hour comedies. To begin with, the comic pedigree does not end with Suzanne Kaaren. Director Jean Yarbrough would later go on to direct Abbott and Costello in both features and television show episodes while Arthur Q. Bryan, who plays Editor McGinty, is known by every person reading this review, even if they don’t realize it. When Editor McGinty talks, close your eyes and focus on the voice. Surely, it’s familiar to you, and that’s because Arthur Q. Bryan is the voice of Elmer Fudd! Dave O’Brien also has his comic roots as he was the actor who went insane smoking that evil root marijuana in the camp classic REEFER MADNESS. Remember the guy who wanted that piano to be played faster and faster? That would be Mr. O’Brien.
Image Image Image
Now that we’ve established THE DEVIL BAT has an Abbott and Costello director, a REEFER MADNESS star, and the voice of Elmer Friggin’ Fudd himself, let us move onto the film itself. The very first scene involves Lugosi in his laboratory electronically growing gigantic devil bats. The first laugh happens if you study the walls. Since the combined budget of every PRC film in 1940 was probably not the equal of one MGM film, limited resources were used, and the walls are obviously not really made of stone. Somebody painted these walls to look like stone, and the painted walls set was probably borrowed from God knows how many previous films. Already, a 6th grade play feel results. Then there’s the devil bat himself, which is obviously a stuffed animal! In order to give the illusion of movement, very blatant shots of stock footage close-ups of a real bat are used. Now that the 6th grade play feel has been furthered, Lugosi delivers his first line - talking to the bat! “Ah, my friend. Our theory of glandular stimulation through electric impulses was correct. A few days ago, you were as small as your companion, but now, look at you!” What a tongue twister of a line for any actor to deliver, nevermind one with a thick Hungarian accent!
Lugosi’s best scenes involve him brow beating Heath and Morton family members, as well as Johnny Layton, into putting on the after shave lotion - on the tender part of their necks, of course. It must be said that despite his horror image, Lugosi had an extremely kindly face when he smiled. He looked like he could be your favorite Hungarian uncle when he wanted to be, not some guy who would suck your blood. Whenever he gets somebody to try the after shave lotion, this kindly uncle side emerges, and considering that he is trying to get the recipients jugular severed by a giant bat, the results are quite funny. Lugosi is obviously having fun with this role as he delivers certain lines with the perfect touch of comic irony. When ill-fated Tommy Heath tries on the deadly after shave, Carruthers states, “I don’t think you’ll ever use anything else.” Wink-wink, nudge-nudge. Or when one character tries on the lotion and talks about worrying about the future of the cosmetics industry, Carruthers states, “You can believe me Henry, you don’t have to worry.” Another classic is after a character claims the lotion makes him smell to high Heavens, Carruthers states, “That will be the secret of its success.” The best line of comic irony is Lugosi’s “goodbye” delivery everytime he is going to part somebody who just tried on the lotion. This is perhaps the most famous Lugosi line (it appears about four or five times), in THE DEVIL BAT, and rightfully so. One of Lugosi’s best acting traits was his ability to deliver an ironic tone in certain lines, and a few of his deliveries in THE DEVIL BAT display this as well as any line he’s ever read in his career.
Besides Lugosi’s great line deliveries, another comic highlight is the bat attacks. The key to the comedy is the high pitched noise the bat makes as it attacks. Unfortunately, words cannot do the noise justice, but it has to be heard to be believed. The close ups of the actors faces as they are about to get attacked are good for a laugh as well. My favorite bat attack, by far, happens to Tommy Heath. His line deliveries come across as nothing short of pompous, and when he finally does get moments later, you can’t help but cheer. Actually, just about all the Heath and Morton characters are underdeveloped and paper thin. Nothing but boring rich people, and while most wouldn’t wish devil bat attacks on anybody in real life (smirks), including boring people, I suppose in the context of a movie, it’s alright.
The intended comic relief comes from Donald Kerr as “One-Shot” McGuire. He’s not a comic legend by any means, but for the standards of comic relief in golden age horror films, he’s actually quite tolerable, even mildly entertaining. He basically chases around after a very delicious looking French maid throughout the entire film. “Let’s see a little more of yer stocking, Frenchie.”
Image Image
Overall, THE DEVIL BAT ranks as one of Bela Lugosi’s most entertaining performances and his best poverty row film. Adding Lugosi’s performance to a cheap lab, obviously fake bats who make funny noises, a murder a reel, and a brisk 68 minute pace, and you have a horror-comedy that you’ll return to over and over again for pure fun. If you ever need 68 minutes to kill, check out THE DEVIL BAT. Since it’s public domain, you can buy it from several different companies, and for cheap.
son of metaldams
Pumpkinbrain

De Debbil Bat

Postby Afa Dollah on June 28th, 2005, 10:00 pm

Great review, metal.

Believe it or not, the AMC Monsterfest Lugosi Collection 1 was gone when I checke at Frys! Someone else bought it or moved it I guess. :rolleyes: I'm going to check again tomorrow, but I know they have other copies of DEVIL BAT. I want to watch it again before I comment further.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

The Goodbye Guy

Postby Lunkenstein on July 2nd, 2005, 4:56 pm

Super job Metal! A smooth and informative read. This is probably my all time favorite poverty row film too. I'll try to chime in on this more later.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry I haven't been around much this week. Been researching and learning coding changes so I can customize the board better.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

No Debbil Bat for me!

Postby Afa Dollah on July 3rd, 2005, 12:03 am

I'm a victim of circumstance. Last week, you couldn't swing a dead cat in Frys without knocking over a stack of THE DEVIL BAT DVDs, even if they were Alpha Classics. I know, I carry a dead cat with me at all times JUST to test that saying. And I never have to wait in line at check outs, either.

So, not only is the Lugosi Monsterfest Collection gone, but there isn't a copy of THE DEVIL BAT to be had. Two possibilities spring to mind: 1) There has been a sudden resurgence in Lugosi's popularity. It's underground now, but simmering. He may be the next huge retro icon. Or 2) They've been watching me closely and KNEW the exact day I would be back to get the DVDs and had their slaves go in and buy up all the stock in order to further frustrate my plans.

If it's 1), I say it's about time.
If it's 2), It's time to clean the shotgun and sharpen the knives.

So if you all will excuse me, I've got some oiling and stropping to do.
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Afa's got a gun...

Postby Lunkenstein on July 3rd, 2005, 12:28 pm

LOL Afa. Sorry to hear you can't find it though.

Do you have a Best Buy near you? They might have the Brentwood Bela 10 pack, or maybe you could order it off their website at http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6898306&type=product&id=1392319
Hope this helps.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Afa Dollah on July 3rd, 2005, 12:49 pm

Thanks Lunk. There are some other electronics places like Best Buy around. I just haven't gotten out that far from the perimeter in awhile. Damn zombies. That time of the year, I guess. :happy1:

Got to run to Home Depot for sprinkler head replacements later, so I'll try to stop somewhere on the way.
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Pet Sounds from The Devil Bat

Postby Lunkenstein on July 6th, 2005, 7:15 pm

Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Thanks Lunk!

Postby son of metaldams on July 7th, 2005, 3:02 pm

The pictures and sound waves are priceless. Thanks Lunk! Whenever I play the Devil Bat attack noise, my poor cat's ears perk up and his eyes widen in fear.
son of metaldams
Pumpkinbrain

YW Metal

Postby Lunkenstein on July 7th, 2005, 9:17 pm

You're welcome Metal. Glad you like them. Sorry about scaring your cat. I just played it with one of our cats nearby and his ears went back too.
The Big DB, still scarin after all these years! :laugh1:
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Cats

Postby son of metaldams on July 7th, 2005, 10:26 pm

Please Lunk, no need to apologize. My cat puts the "scaredy" in scaredy cat and the "pu$$y" in pussycat. He charges out of the room whenever I sneeze and goes nuts whenever he hears a door open, and my old cat was definitely not like that.

When I buy the Val Lewton box set in October, I'll have to watch CAT PEOPLE with him. Never have seen it before.
son of metaldams
Pumpkinbrain

Cats & Lewton

Postby Lunkenstein on July 8th, 2005, 7:57 pm

Neat how cats have their own personalities. We have one in the office where I work you'd swear was a dog. He follows everyone around and has to observe everything. He is our official greeter and unofficial supervisor. :wink:

Can't wait for the Lewton set either. I've seen all the films except for GHOST SHIP and THE SEVENTH VICTIM. His films are truly haunting with unforgettable imagery. They are among some of my favorite horror films. Think you'll really like CAT PEOPLE and CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE. The 2 films have bizarre differences, but are way cool.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Hitchcock and cats

Postby son of metaldams on July 9th, 2005, 10:38 pm

As far as Lewton goes, THE BODY SNATCHER is my favorite horror movie of the 40's and along with THE BLACK CAT and his first two Frankenstein performances, my favorite Karloff role. I've seen about half of the Val Lewton's, so I'm really looking forward to this set in October.

My cat is so easily scared and VERY playful (i.e. a constant biter, especially people's feet when they walk), but he's also constantly around me and usually sleeps next to me at night. Also, when he was a tiny kitten, he would run around all over the place non-stop, yet he stopped to look at the television screen during THE BIRDS when the opening shot of the birds flying across the screen was on! The power of Hitchcock.
son of metaldams
Pumpkinbrain

Boris

Postby Lunkenstein on July 14th, 2005, 8:21 pm

THE BODY SNATCHER is one of my very favorite films too. After FRANKENSTEIN, BRIDE and THE MUMMY, it's also my favorite Boris.

I've always liked cats and we've constantly owned at least one through the years, but I'm becoming even more of a fan since we got our 2 kittens last fall. They're such great little buddies - 2 male orange tabbies. One shares my cereal with me every morning, and he gets quite upset if the schedule changes and he misses out. They're both extremely playful. It's a trip watching them chase and wrestle with each other. We also have a 5 year old female cat and 10 year old female dog. Pet City!

THE BIRDS holds a special memory for me. It came out when I was 9. My best friend and I went to a Saturday matinee showing of HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL, and THE BIRDS was also playing at the theater on the main bill. My friend's mother told us not to stay for it, thinking it too intense for kids. Back then, you could stay in the theater all day after paying just once to get in. Needless to say, we were bad boys and stayed. We loved it and acted the whole thing out when we got home. Still can't remember why we didn't get in trouble.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Cats and Vincent Price

Postby son of metaldams on July 15th, 2005, 11:03 am

I only have one cat, so he ends up wrestling my hands and feet everyday instead of another cat. At first I didn't like it, but I'd be lying now if I said I didn't egg him on.

Funny you mention HOUSE ON THE HAUNTED HILL, as I just saw it for the first time the other day. Nice little horror flick there, a minor classic for sure.
son of metaldams
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Afa Dollah on July 15th, 2005, 11:23 am

HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL is a blast. I love the rope floating in the window and around the girl, and then the skeleton rising out of the acid bath....great stuff! Plus, Vincent Price is great in it. The remake was, of course, a major disappointment.
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Next

Return to Double Chiller Theater